What should a believer look like?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CB

I have often heard of things like: good christians read their bible every day, go to church every week, give God a tenth of their income, witness to non-believers, pray often, don't smoke, don't drink, don't listen to certain types of music or watch "R" rated movies etc. etc. Are these really what the true "earmarks" of a believer should look like? Is this what the world sees us as, if so, what a crying shame! How far are we removed from scriptures emphasis of what a christian should and does look like...

Jul 13, 2009
I don't know if you mean how a believer should "act like" or "look like". If it's about physical apearance, I don't think there's a certain "look" someone should have to be considered a believer. If it's about actions, then if you're a believer, you'll have certain morals that will make you act a certain way. If such actions makes us fit into a mold, then who cares? You're supposed to act on your own convictions and not because of how the world sees you. Or at least that's how I'd be.

R

rainacorn

You know believers by their fruits

Gal 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Doesn't say Christians carry Bibles around and go to church every Sunday or only listen to Christian music or whatever.

I think when you're a Christian, you naturally become less interested in the things of man and more interested in the things of God. Here are the particularly bad things of man-

Gal 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

So if you're a violent person and hate a lot of stuff and get drunk all the time and are jealous of others, then chances are good you don't really have the Spirit in you. Know what I mean?

C

CB

I don't know if you mean how a believer should "act like" or "look like". If it's about physical apearance, I don't think there's a certain "look" someone should have to be considered a believer. If it's about actions, then if you're a believer, you'll have certain morals that will make you act a certain way. If such actions makes us fit into a mold, then who cares? You're supposed to act on your own convictions and not because of how the world sees you. Or at least that's how I'd be.

Jesus said the world will know that you are my followers by the love you have for one another, He didn't mention or need to mention anything else... I think its very important how the world views christians, its the point of being an ambassader or representative of Him to the world... :)

Jul 3, 2011
Fruits that should be shown by true Christians

Lead by the Spirit.
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Separate from sinners, whether the sinners are in the world or the church.
a. The world.
2nd Corinthians 2:17 Wherefore come out from among them and be ye separate, sayeth the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you.

b. The church.
2nd Thessalonians 3:6, and 14-15
6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother that walks disorderly, and not after the traditions which he received from us.
14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
15 Yet count him not as an enemy but admonish him as a brother.

Faithful
Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shall suffer: behold the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that you may be tried, and you shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Fearless.
2nd Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of a sound mind.

Righteous
1st John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you, he that doeth righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

Purity
1st John 3:3 And every man that has this hope in him purify himself, even as He is pure.

Holiness
1st Peter 1:16 Because it is written, be you holy as I am Holy.

Zealous in good works
Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous in good works.

Rendering not evil for evil
Romans 12:17 Recompense no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

1st Thessalonians 5:23 See that none render evil for evil to any man ,but ever follow that which is good both among yourselves and to all men.

Overcoming evil with good.
Romans 12:21 Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Resisting all temptation.
James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive a crown of life, the Lord has promised to all them that love him.

Honest.
2nd Corinthians 13:7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that you should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

Blameless
Philippians 2:14-15
14 Do all things without murmurings, and disputings.
15 That you may be blameless, the sons of God without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine like lights in the world.

Loving
Matthew 22:37-39,John 13:35,1st John 4:20
Matthew 22:37-39
37 Jesus said unto them, Thou shalt love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind
38 This is the first commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself

John 13:35 By this shall all men know you are my disciples, if you love one another.

1st John 4:20 If a man say he loves God and loveth not his brother he is a liar, for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen.

Jesus is returning for a glorious church without spot or wrinkle, holy without blemish, not a church that has soiled itself through the lust and cares of this life.
Ephesians 5:27 That he might present to himself a glorious church, not having sport or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy without blemish.

A

Abiding

Why is there so much talk about what the world sees? Its starting to geek me out! First they dont give a rip, second they will
hate us without even noticing, unless they need something, then we can share our fruit if we have it. If we do its from abiding on the vine
since we sure cant produce it.

Although I would never want to dishonor the Lord. I spend zero seconds a year concerned what the world thinks about me.

Maybe you had more to add:)

Jul 13, 2009
Jesus said the world will know that you are my followers by the love you have for one another, He didn't mention or need to mention anything else... I think its very important how the world views christians, its the point of being an ambassader or representative of Him to the world... :)
The world will always see Christians or any other believers in different ways. There's never a completely generalized opinion about a certain group of people. When Jesus said that, I believe He meant to say that what will set us apart from others is our love for each other. But some people might fail to see it.

Jul 13, 2009
Why is there so much talk about what the world sees? Its starting to geek me out! First they dont give a rip, second they will
hate us without even noticing, unless they need something, then we can share our fruit if we have it. If we do its from abiding on the vine

Although I would never want to dishonor the Lord. I spend zero seconds a year concerned what the world thinks about me.

Exactly Abiding. We shouldn't care. Or at least I don't care. I do believe we should care about pleasing the Lord, as He can see our actions 24/7 and He knows our heart and soul.

A

AnandaHya

I totally agree but I will answer the question the way I took it when I first clicked on the thread.

If you were given the eyes of the spirit to see into the hearts of others, what would a believer look like?

Simply, someone who reminded you of our Heavenly Father and who obeys Him as Jesus did and keeps His commandments about loving God with their whole heart and their neighbors as themselves.

Someone who is not afraid to pray with those in need of prayer, cry with those who weep, rejoice with those who are rejoicing.

Someone who does not go out of their way to look righteous and religious but simply is righteous and loving to all around them. Someone who is happy in the knowledge that God's love and power is beyond words and shows to the world this truth. :)

but outward appearance? well I've seen them in Armani suits and in the eyes of a homeless man in Mannheim who offered to share his meal with me and told me how God had blessed him and how he was making his way home. He said I reminded him of his daughter in college who he gave all his money to ensure that she got a bright future but didn't have enough to make it back home to Scotland. It was humbling experience that he thought beyond himself even then.

So are there believers? yes

can you pin them down by what they do or how they look or talk or act? no. only God can reveal to you the hearts of people through their words and actions.

However the question should not be how should believers look like, but

How does God see me?

H

Honey12

This is a question that I have to face quite often. To the extent that people have looked and me and told me there is no way I can be a Christian.
It's really hurtful actually.

But anyway, I don't drink, smoke, no premarital sex, I don't even cuss. I go to church every Sunday and Wednesday (not that I think church is a requirement though). I'm involved in a huuuuuuge list of volunteer activities. Blah blah blah.

In all those aspects people think I sound great. But then they see my tattoos. My piercings. The music I listen to.

And then all of a sudden I'm going to hell, I worship Satan and there is no possible way that I'm a follower of Christ.

I really can't stand the way I'm treated sometimes because I don't fit the christian stereotype people have apparently created.

It's discouraging to me, so I can only imagine how unbelievers feel about trying to even approach the topic of religion with a Christian.

Jun 24, 2010

JUST LIKE ME, AND YOU CAN NEVER SHAVE YOUR BEARD. OF COURSE, IF YOU ARE A WOMAN YOU WON'T HAVE TO CONCERN YOURSELF WITH THAT, BUT I SUGGEST THAT YOU KEEP YOUR LEGS SHAVED FOR APPEARANCES, FOR THAT WOULD BE COMMENDABLE.

JUST HAVING FUN AS A PHARISEE.

Feb 16, 2011
I smoke and do things that people might disagree with but my question is, aren't people supposed to care about your health or if you die or something. I think people look at someone who smokes as a sinner or someone who is wicked. What happened to the fact that people love people and don't want them to die? Isn't that what it is? If someone told me to stop smoking because of their opinion I think I would laugh. Shouldn't I stop because you don't want me to die or do you just enjoy degrading people to feel better about yourself.

A

AnandaHya

This is a question that I have to face quite often. To the extent that people have looked and me and told me there is no way I can be a Christian.

But anyway, I don't drink, smoke, no premarital sex, I don't even cuss. I go to church every Sunday and Wednesday (not that I think church is a requirement though). I'm involved in a huuuuuuge list of volunteer activities. Blah blah blah.

In all those aspects people think I sound great. But then they see my tattoos. My piercings. The music I listen to.

And then all of a sudden I'm going to hell, I worship Satan and there is no possible way that I'm a follower of Christ.

I really can't stand the way I'm treated sometimes because I don't fit the christian stereotype people have apparently created.

It's discouraging to me, so I can only imagine how unbelievers feel about trying to even approach the topic of religion with a Christian.

makes me want to go out and get some tattoos and break some stereotypes ;) don't be discourage God knows your heart and it doesn't matter what others thinks. Just remember God calls you His child and loves you no matter what the world says.

U

unclefester

That's carnal man Honey12. Everything he touches, he destroys. Stay the course. God loves what He sees

Jul 3, 2011

Exterior appearance means nothing, it is your heart that God sees. Check out post #5, you will see there is nothing there about the way someone looks

H

Honey12

makes me want to go out and get some tattoos and break some stereotypes ;) don't be discourage God knows your heart and it doesn't matter what others thinks. Just remember God calls you His child and loves you no matter what the world says.
That's carnal man Honey12. Everything he touches, he destroys. Stay the course. God loves what He sees
Exterior appearance means nothing, it is your heart that God sees. Check out post #5, you will see there is nothing there about the way someone looks

Thanks guys :)
Even you 4runner :p

It's mostly why I like getting her to talk, no one sees me, so no one ever calls me out on it.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I have often thought if one wants to know what to see in a believer?
They must first see the believer in ones self through faith and grace in Jesus.
Then , one knows that which is not of looks, but of heart of love in Jesus. :)

God bless.
pickles