What The Great Commission is NOT

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 22, 2016
[h=1]What the Great Commission is Not[/h] [h=3]Today's Church is Busy Doing Everything Else![/h]

[HR][/HR]
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

The Lord Jesus gave this commission to His disciples after His resurrection and prior to His ascension to the third heaven. The command is to "Preach the gospel." The verb "preach" means to herald the message. It is the same word found in 2 Timothy 4:2--"Preach the Word." In ancient times momentous messages were communicated by a herald. This was the King's personal messenger who would cry out the king's message as the people in the town would assemble together eager to hear the latest news. The herald would not give his own message and he would certainly not give his own views and opinions. He would simply give the King’s message word for word. He would not interpret the message. It made no difference whether the herald liked the message or did not like the message, he had to faithfully deliver it. He did not debate with people. He did not argue with people. He just presented the King's message. Paul once said, "necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel." Woe unto me if I fail to faithfully announce the King's message of good news!
Today it seems as if the church is doing everything except the very thing that our Lord told us to do. We substitute our program and programs for God's program. We present our gospel instead of His gospel. Let us briefly consider what God's great commission does not say:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"] Go ye into all the world and feed the hungry, clothe the naked, build homes for the poor and care for the sick.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
While we certainly should not be oblivious to the pain and poverty and suffering in the world, yet the social gospel is not what our Lord commanded. The solution is not for each believer to become like Mother Teresa. We may feed their stomachs but what have we done for their souls? We may cure them of a bodily illness, but what has been done about the deadly and incurable disease of sin (Jer. 17:9)? What good does it do if they become rich for a second (in this life) but poor forever (in eternity)? If we clothe their bodies with the finest of garments, how shall it help them if they die without being covered by the robes of Christ's righteousness? What shall it profit them if we build them a wonderful house, but no provision is made for their eternal home in heaven? What ultimate good have we done if we only help them this side of the grave?

Great Commission

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
What the Great Commission is Not

Today's Church is Busy Doing Everything Else!

[HR][/HR]
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

The Lord Jesus gave this commission to His disciples after His resurrection and prior to His ascension to the third heaven. The command is to "Preach the gospel." The verb "preach" means to herald the message. It is the same word found in 2 Timothy 4:2--"Preach the Word." In ancient times momentous messages were communicated by a herald. This was the King's personal messenger who would cry out the king's message as the people in the town would assemble together eager to hear the latest news. The herald would not give his own message and he would certainly not give his own views and opinions. He would simply give the King’s message word for word. He would not interpret the message. It made no difference whether the herald liked the message or did not like the message, he had to faithfully deliver it. He did not debate with people. He did not argue with people. He just presented the King's message. Paul once said, "necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel." Woe unto me if I fail to faithfully announce the King's message of good news!
Today it seems as if the church is doing everything except the very thing that our Lord told us to do. We substitute our program and programs for God's program. We present our gospel instead of His gospel. Let us briefly consider what God's great commission does not say:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] Go ye into all the world and feed the hungry, clothe the naked, build homes for the poor and care for the sick.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
While we certainly should not be oblivious to the pain and poverty and suffering in the world, yet the social gospel is not what our Lord commanded. The solution is not for each believer to become like Mother Teresa. We may feed their stomachs but what have we done for their souls? We may cure them of a bodily illness, but what has been done about the deadly and incurable disease of sin (Jer. 17:9)? What good does it do if they become rich for a second (in this life) but poor forever (in eternity)? If we clothe their bodies with the finest of garments, how shall it help them if they die without being covered by the robes of Christ's righteousness? What shall it profit them if we build them a wonderful house, but no provision is made for their eternal home in heaven? What ultimate good have we done if we only help them this side of the grave?

Great Commission

Yep great stuff here on Evangelism, soulwinning and Great Commission:) Thanks for the link..,

God bless

Feb 7, 2015
[h=1]What the Great Commission is Not[/h] [h=3]Today's Church is Busy Doing Everything Else![/h]

[HR][/HR]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"] Go ye into all the world and feed the hungry, clothe the naked, build homes for the poor and care for the sick.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Great Commission

Go read why Jesus said some would be called sheep, and others would be called goats.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The Great Commission isn't the only work of the Church, right?

Matthew 25:31) When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 .) And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 .) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 .) Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 .) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 .) Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 .) Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 .) When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 .) Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 .) And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 .) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 .) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 .) I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 .) Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 .) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 .) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Matthew 28:19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 .) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Apr 22, 2016

Matthew 25:31) When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 .) And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 .) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 .) Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 .) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 .) Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 .) Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 .) When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 .) Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 .) And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 .) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 .) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 .) I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 .) Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 .) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 .) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

I can tell you didnt read it. Your comment is not in reply to the contents.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I can tell you didnt read it. Your comment is not in reply to the contents.
Actually, you would be wrong...........my response was concerning the last paragraph of the Article, and your chosen title for the thread.......Here.......the POINT

Apr 22, 2016
Actually, you would be wrong...........my response was concerning the last paragraph of the Article, and your chosen title for the thread.......Here.......the POINT

The POINT of the OP is what it isnt.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Nothing wrong with ministering to the poor and desolate but it must be used as an opening to share the gospel with lost souls. Today many are willing to aid the physical but neglect the Spiritual. Shame really because the government has no interest in the Spiritual and the physical comes with many strings attached.

The early church ministered to the poor and needy within itself. Tending to widows and the poor.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Feb 9, 2010
We should always help the poor,like the early Church that sold all they had,and gave to each person as they had need,and if anybody has this world's goods,and does not help the poor,then the love of God does not dwell in them,and pure religion is visiting the fatherless,and widows,in their affliction,and those that are rich to distribute their money,but the main purpose of the saints is to preach the Gospel,for that is more important than food,and clothing,and shelter,and we have to keep our priorities straight.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
.......and, I have tried to politely point out that the Article is not complete, in that the Great Commission IS NOT ONLY about preaching the Gospel. Gave Scripture from Matthew to show this.

Preaching the Gospel is important, but there is FAR MORE to the Great Commission than just preaching. The IMPORTANT thing is to LIVE the Gospel. The greatest witness a Christian has for the world is through LIVING the Gospel. This is what Jesus did, and it is what He told us to do.

So, in keeping with the topic of the OP, what the Great Commission ISN'T is JUST PREACHING.

Apr 22, 2016
.......and, I have tried to politely point out that the Article is not complete, in that the Great Commission IS NOT ONLY about preaching the Gospel. Gave Scripture from Matthew to show this.

Preaching the Gospel is important, but there is FAR MORE to the Great Commission than just preaching. The IMPORTANT thing is to LIVE the Gospel. The greatest witness a Christian has for the world is through LIVING the Gospel. This is what Jesus did, and it is what He told us to do.

So, in keeping with the topic of the OP, what the Great Commission ISN'T is JUST PREACHING.
Spreading the gospel isnt preaching to begin with. It is merely witnessing to the lost. It is telling them the gospel. Thats not PREACHING. I dont preach. I talk to people. There is a vast difference. I tell them the hope there is in Jesus Christ who came to set the captives free.

Now, if you would like to steer in another direction Ill ask you politely to go start your own OP. Thank you

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Spreading the gospel isnt preaching to begin with. It is merely witnessing to the lost. It is telling them the gospel. Thats not PREACHING. I dont preach. I talk to people. There is a vast difference. I tell them the hope there is in Jesus Christ who came to set the captives free.

Now, if you would like to steer in another direction Ill ask you politely to go start your own OP. Thank you

FROM OP:

The Lord Jesus gave this commission to His disciples after His resurrection and prior to His ascension to the third heaven. The command is to "Preach the gospel." The verb "preach" means to herald the message. It is the same word found in 2 Timothy 4:2--"Preach the Word."

​your right, of course.............sigh...........enjoy

P

psalm6819

A mother with a starving child hears better when when her is child is fed,

Jesus showing compassion fed thousands, shall we do less? Aren't we His hands and feet not just talking heads?

I think we should put our money where our mouthes are. If one trys it is not impossible to find a local and/orworthy cause to donate time or money to.

How many are to cheap or to lazy? Whatsoever we do for the least we have done for Him.

Apr 22, 2016
A mother with a starving child hears better when when her is child is fed,

Jesus showing compassion fed thousands, shall we do less? Aren't we His hands and feet not just talking heads?

I think we should put our money where our mouthes are. If one trys it is not impossible to find a local and/orworthy cause to donate time or money to.

How many are to cheap or to lazy? Whatsoever we do for the least we have done for Him.
Did you read the article? It isnt saying to not feed the hungry and clothe the poor. It is saying what good is it if we dont also share the hope we have in Christ.

I agree. Many are to cheap and way too lazy but Ill add also very uncaring.

Apr 22, 2016
FROM OP:

The Lord Jesus gave this commission to His disciples after His resurrection and prior to His ascension to the third heaven. The command is to "Preach the gospel." The verb "preach" means to herald the message. It is the same word found in 2 Timothy 4:2--"Preach the Word."

​your right, of course.............sigh...........enjoy
You just came to stir the pot. You are an instigator sir.
I made it clear my meaning of preaching. ya know > the modern term as in in the church usually behind a pulpit. OR People can sometimes misinterpret that word as in your face cramming the gospel down ones throat especially in the last few days on the forums. I was making it clear that is not my style.
So if you want to focus in on a definition instead of relating to what I said, go for it. You really are something else. You came here to "politely" stir the pot.
You had no intention of having a discussion.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
You just came to stir the pot. You are an instigator sir.
eh, our oliphant actually expounded on what that commission isn't: it isn't the only thing we're supposed to do, and very arguably not the most important, either.

but didn't you create an entire thread just to 'stir the pot' ?
why would you judge someone else's servant for doing what you are also doing?

the 'great commission' also isn't "go ye unto all the nations, judging one another and stirring pots" :rolleyes:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
lol will the Son of Man return before this spoon is taken to the kettles of every people?

;)

and when He returns, will He find soup on the earth?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Did you read the article? It isnt saying to not feed the hungry and clothe the poor. It is saying what good is it if we dont also share the hope we have in Christ.

I agree. Many are to cheap and way too lazy but Ill add also very uncaring.
So, basically those who express their opinion(s), and if their opinion(s) disagrees with yours, they are just stirring the pot right? They aren't discussing, but stirring. Gosh...........I didn't know this was the Church of Agree With Me.

With regards to the embolden, AND WHAT I WAS POINTING OUT is: What good is sharing the Gospel if we don't also feed the hungry and clothe the naked?

Jesus didn't JUST preach the Gospel. He lived the Gospel, and that is what my point was. AND it was ON TOPIC. For the Topic is WHAT THE GREAT COMMISSION IS NOT. It IS NOT just.............so how exactly is that instigating?

If you are going to require ALL who comment on one of your threads to AGREE with you, then you are going to be sorely disappointed many, many times I fear.

Truth is, I didn't even disagree with the OP. I simply stressed the need to ALSO LIVE the Gospel as well as preaching/witnessing.