What's Good for the goose!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
What's Good for the Goose

'Look at the birds in the sky!...' Matthew 6:26

With geese, their relationship is 'till death do us part'. They take it seriously. They're fully committed. When the ravages of time or circumstances make it impossible for a bird to continue the trip and it begins to lose altitude or fails to keep abreast of the formation, the gaggle provides it with comfort, nurture and protection. Two strong geese leave the formation, flying with the 'patient' safely between them, find a sheltered location with food and water and make a home for the needy bird.

They'll stay with their ward until it either recovers or dies, before joining another formation. For them, everything goes 'on hold' to care for another bird! What an example of Christ-like relationship and self-sacrificing love. '...God has combined the members of the body... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it...' (1 Corinthians 12:24-26 NIV). In today's culture we discount and marginalise the needy, including those no longer functioning as they once did. But God demands that we 'have equal concern for each other', especially with those suffering.

If a gaggle of birds can do it, surely God's family ought to do it too. 'Look at the birds in the sky!' Jesus directs. If they can do it for each other, '...Aren't you worth more than birds?' (Matthew 6:26 CEV). One of the two greatest commandments (not suggestions) Christ gave us is, '...Love your neighbour as yourself. There is no commandment greater...' (Mark 12:31 NIV). When word circulates that we love each other in this way, they'll beat down the doors of our church to get in!

Another from my wee devotional book I keep at work.

Blessings

Phil

E

ed

Hi Phil36,
What a terrific story. Doesn't the truth smack home. Imagine the methods some christians go to to justify their inaction. I am not sure of the means by which this came to me but it concerned ladies being members of notorious bike gangs. According to this lady, it was a refuge, a place of safety, a secure place in a mad world. Is it that the Christians are coming last, behind gaggles and gangs?
Christians seem to support some corporate identity and feel as if their obligation to their neighbour ends at the help given by that corporate identity. Their Christianity does not extend to personal involvement. Fear seems to hold many back. The fear comes from a lack of Faith that God is with them. Sure people are attacked by those to whom the hand of friendship has been extended but that should not prevent Christians from persevering.
love your post.
love
edwin

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I loved reading this. Thankyou phil.
Another cool thing about geese, is the reason they fly in the formation they do and why they continue to honk.
The lead goose by flaping his wings provide the lift for the geese that follow, The geese continue to honk to encourage the geese in front to keep going when tired. The geese trade off the lead positions in order to give each other rest in flight.
I like that the geese encourage the each other, another simple witness to encourage.
in Jesus, God bless.
pickles

A

AnandaHya

love it! thanks Phil :)

S

Strong1

What's Good for the Goose

'Look at the birds in the sky!...' Matthew 6:26

With geese, their relationship is 'till death do us part'. They take it seriously. They're fully committed. When the ravages of time or circumstances make it impossible for a bird to continue the trip and it begins to lose altitude or fails to keep abreast of the formation, the gaggle provides it with comfort, nurture and protection. Two strong geese leave the formation, flying with the 'patient' safely between them, find a sheltered location with food and water and make a home for the needy bird.

They'll stay with their ward until it either recovers or dies, before joining another formation. For them, everything goes 'on hold' to care for another bird! What an example of Christ-like relationship and self-sacrificing love. '...God has combined the members of the body... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it...' (1 Corinthians 12:24-26 NIV). In today's culture we discount and marginalise the needy, including those no longer functioning as they once did. But God demands that we 'have equal concern for each other', especially with those suffering.

If a gaggle of birds can do it, surely God's family ought to do it too. 'Look at the birds in the sky!' Jesus directs. If they can do it for each other, '...Aren't you worth more than birds?' (Matthew 6:26 CEV). One of the two greatest commandments (not suggestions) Christ gave us is, '...Love your neighbour as yourself. There is no commandment greater...' (Mark 12:31 NIV). When word circulates that we love each other in this way, they'll beat down the doors of our church to get in!

Another from my wee devotional book I keep at work.

Blessings

Phil

Wow. This ministered to me in such a profound way this morning.....Thank you.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
HUmans are the most savage creatures that God created