What's the difference between convictions and feelings?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selenah

Is there a difference?

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
Convictions are based on something, such as the Scriptures, feelings tend not to be based on anything.

D

DiscipleWilliam

Absolutely Selena. Convictions come from the Holy Spirit and they inform us what is of God and what is not, while feelings are emotions which proceed from the soul of an individual which can be either saved or unsaved. The danger of emotionalism, if not harnessed can lead you to err. Let me explain. If you rely on your emotions/feelings to guide you intellectually you will open yourself up to deception because emotions are heavily influenced by the nature within man (or woman) which is fallen. Our feelings have natural proclivities which are imperfect, but the Holy Spirit is spiritual which is why we should be guided with it. This is also applicable to relationships, if you choose a life partner solely based upon emotions you might miss the potential warning signs informing your that that particular person is not the one for you. I have noticed that with women this is more of an issue than with man do to their genetic make-up, although men are not exempt by any means. Ultimately, everyone (including myself) should study this very topic to gain a requisite understanding of feelings and how they influence us on a daily basis, for better or for worse.

Last edited:
S

See_KING_Truth

Feelings change, convictions don't

May 21, 2009
Conviction is the Holy Spirit telling you something you are doing is wrong. Feelings are your emotions. Like you may start feeling all guilty when the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you to change your ways.When your not wanting to obey him. You may start condemning yourself.

M

MaggieMye

See_KING_Truth: Feelings change, convictions don't Love it!
Loveschild:
Conviction is the Holy Spirit telling you something you are doing is wrong. It is also Him telling you something is RIGHT. He confirms. Feelings are your emotions. Like you may start feeling all guilty when the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you to change your ways.When your not wanting to obey him. You may start condemning yourself.
Guilt is from the devil and cause a person to ignore, run away, hide.
Conviction is from Holy Spirit and brings understanding, revelation and wisdom.
Feelings come from the heart which we cannot trust (see verses about the heart being deceived at http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=heart+deceived&searchtype=all&version1=49&spanbegin=1&spanend=73 )

M

MaggieMye

You know,.... that isn't true. Convictions can and DO change and depend on the level of truth verses fact.
Truth NEVER changes. But FACTS can change: During the Day the sky is blue. Fact! During the night, the sky is black. FACT again! But the FACTS change over the course of 24 hours. But to say "The sky changes from light to dark over 24 hours" is TRUTH that does not change.
Sickness and disease are FACTS...it is a description of the human body when it is affected by LACK of knowledge and deception. But when the body is in divine health, living according to His truth, deception and lack are not issues because God is the provider of ALL good things and He has given us authority over sickness and disease. How do I KNOW that He has given us authority over sickness and disease?? Because He TELL US TO LAY HANDS ON THE SICK AND THEY WILL RECOVER!! Ha! AWESOME!
Oh...I could ramble on and on and on about this stuff!!
Maggie

B

beckyz

I disagree..feelings are based on something. But they tend to be irrational and uncontrollable. Convictions are a deep sense of what is right and wrong or whether or not to take action.

Jun 16, 2011
I think feelings can be controlled and are based on real emotions, convictions are certainties i would say. Convictions are rigid and unlikely to change where as feelings could change.

S

See_KING_Truth

That's not true. As people grow in Christ their convictions should change.
That isn't exactly what I was saying. I guess I can't explain what I meant...... but I agree with you

I'm just going to quit posting where there is any question in my mind that it may be misunderstood or I can't exlain in detail

Last edited:
S

Slepsog4

Convictions are based in evidence; feelings come with opinions.

A

Abiding

Felling just follow the thoughts. You change your thoughts and the feelings follow. For instance if you have unfavorable feelings, they can be changed by rethinking and renewing your mind to the truth. In this case the proper feelings will follow. But they may not bring better feelings. Yet you can decieve yourself if your pragmatic untill your feelings line up with how you desire to feel(such as blame it on others or the devil). Then you live in a lie but feel good about, and continuing this way you can even get to the place where you dont feel anything.

Grace is given to those who ask for it(Gods children) becuase we tend to not know how to think or feel. The word and prayer and worship keep us straight. Feeling are like whiskers on a cat. To live in the light and in the truth doesnt always feel good. Therefore whether you feel good or feel bad it is no indicater of how you are doing, it just makes it real.

Convictions? well the law is written on our heart. How to live by it can be comprimised by alot of things both interior and exterior. The word tells us how to do this also...and in my experience the biggest enemy is me. So i have a great need of fellowship and prayer with the Lord. Id never trust exterior confirmations as i hear many do. I walk by faith and know im loved.

This subject cant be answered with a oneliner..convictions based on evidence would be shallow compared with convictions based on faith..feelings follow. Hebrews lists people who died never having recieved the promice nor seeing any evidence but had conviction to their death. Im sure their feelings were appropriate to their circumstance, according to their faith. Imagine singing in prison after a good beating is a good example of feelings following thoughts and not circumstance.

G

girlaftergod

to me conviction works throught your conscious, feelings are dangerous and can't completely be relied on, demons can project their emotions onto you. I just know the feeling I got when I accepted Jesus into my heart when I was younger and felt like I was walking on cloud 9 was ok though :)