When Christians must snub other people

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 16, 2011
1 Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one no not to eat.

2 Thesalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

2 Thesalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of menn of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

The Bible tells us that there is a time to not socailize with other people. We are not to keep company with them. We are to withdraw; we are to leave. We cannot eat with them. I believe it's important to remember that there is a time to do this. It's not usually considered Christian to snub someone but in some cases it is actually Biblical to do so. We cannot company with everyone who claims to be a Christian because they walk disorderly.

I know I cannot hang out with everyone I know because they are fornicators. Many of my family members are fornicators and live with their girlfriends. Do you know anyone you should not socialize with because they are fornicators or something else mentioned?

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

My brother is a " fornicator" but how stupid would i be if i never talked to or saw my brother cause he sinned, i dont think that would be a very good witness.

Feb 16, 2011
My brother is a " fornicator" but how stupid would i be if i never talked to or saw my brother cause he sinned, i dont think that would be a very good witness.
The Bible doesn't say you cannot talk to them; it says you cannot company or eat with them.

R

rainacorn

These verses say not to hang out with Christian who do not walk the walk. It also says don't hang out with lazy people or perpetual victims (who refuse to take blame or be responsible).

That eliminates like MOST of my family and friends, to be honest with you.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Probly also means not to agree with the sin, My cousin was a drunk, and absolutely drove me nuts, i would tell him in the name of Jesus,shut up
or what part of Jesus do you not understand,he is in rehab, suppose to have quit drinking(yeeeeaaagh)

R

rainacorn

Probly also means not to agree with the sin, My cousin was a drunk, and absolutely drove me nuts, i would tell him in the name of Jesus,shut up
or what part of Jesus do you not understand,he is in rehab, suppose to have quit drinking(yeeeeaaagh)
It says don't eat with them...like don't be their friend. Walking away is the strongest statement you can make against the bad behavior to let them know you are serious about right living.

It's not easy though. Like I said, most of my friends and family fit the bill here, so I feel ya.

Oct 2, 2011
It is talking about people that claim Christ and still live in sin, not everybody that siins. If that were the case we would not be abole to ,leave our homes as Paul states.

1st Corinthians 5:9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.

Feb 16, 2011
The KJV reads different.
I Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto in an epistle not to company with fornicators. 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

It means we cannot completely avoid these types of people or we wouldn't be able to live on the planet. I believe it still applies to sinners as well as those who say they are brothers. It applies to both. It just does not apply to completely avoiding these people so that we live in a desert.

For example: if you eat at a resturant you are probably eating with fornicators but I believe the verse is teaching you should not be sitting at the table with them or "companying" with them. You might work with fornicators at your job, but they are not the people you socialize with outside of working. We do not have to completely snub these types of people but we should not "company" with them. They should not be part of our clicke, group, enterouge, company or those we choose to eat with or socialize with at work or anywhere else.

Oct 2, 2011
The KJV reads different.
I Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto in an epistle not to company with fornicators. 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

It means we cannot completely avoid these types of people or we wouldn't be able to live on the planet. I believe it still applies to sinners as well as those who say they are brothers. It applies to both. It just does not apply to completely avoiding these people so that we live in a desert.

For example: if you eat at a resturant you are probably eating with fornicators but I believe the verse is teaching you should not be sitting at the table with them or "companying" with them. You might work with fornicators at your job, but they are not the people you socialize with outside of working. We do not have to completely snub these types of people but we should not "company" with them. They should not be part of our clicke, group, enterouge, company or those we choose to eat with or socialize with at work or anywhere else.
Well I would agree that we are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers, but how can we show them Christ and or lead the to Him if we have no company with them. However I think scripture is very clear that we are not to keep company with those that claim Christ yet continue in sin.

Let me ask this, and it is just a question, not an accusation, because over all i am in agreement with you.

If your mother or mother in law or brother or sister, or wifes uncle ect, were not saved....would you refuse to go to thanksgiving dinner, or memorial day cook out, or christmas ect.....?