When did (will) Jesus open the first seal in Rev. 6 and what does it represent?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
5:9 says "hast redeemed US" [23 of 24 total mss available for v.9 all have it as "US"... the other mss LEAVES THAT WORD BLANK/UNTRANSLATED (the word "people" is not found in that text)]

[compare also with 1:5-6;) -- https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/rev/1/5/ss1/s_1168005 ; 5:9 https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/rev/5/9/ss1/s_1172009 ]
One thing I know for sure: the bible may appear to contradict itself, but it can't. If it is "us" (and I believe it is) then it seems the 4 beasts are saved by the blood. But perhaps there is an explanation for that.

I know Jesus ascended. I know He sent the Holy Spirit down. (verse 6) From the gospels we know what happened before He ascended. He rose from the dead. And before that, He died on the cross. All this had to take place sometime prior to verse 5.

Try this:
Chapter four was an instantaneous view of the throne room just after He rose from the dead. The elders that He raised with him shortly after went to heaven to sit in their chairs. John saw into the throne room a moment after they arrived.

(In a parenthesis) just before He rose from the dead - Chapter 5 - An angel was searching for one worthy to open the seals on the book. He had not risen yet so "no man was found." Then Jesus rose from the dead - as chapter 4 presented it - and was found worthy. (End the parenthesis.) Then the elders could sing, "you have redeemed us by your blood...

IOW: Put a parenthesis around 5:1-5. Then chapter 4 flows into chapter 5 starting with verse 6.

Jesus not seen in the throne room in chapter 4 because He was still on earth: had risen from the dead but not yet ascended. The elders raised with Jesus all there seated on their thrones.

The Holy Spirit still there because Jesus as Not yet Ascended.
Then Jesus ascended and sent the holy Spirit down. (Chapter 5:6)

John saw the search for one worthy before Jesus arose, that failed. He then arose and was found worthy. (But in a parenthesis outside of the timeline.)

I have always believed that the 24 elders were those who were raised when Jesus rose. Without much doubt, Adam, Seth, Abraham - the REAL elders! I just could not figure out how they got there in chapter 4 when I believed Jesus rose in chapter 5.

I will expect a whole bunch of disagreeing. ;)

Note: John used parentheses in several other chapters in Revelation.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
And yet, you do not see the ppl (in the "things WHICH ARE" section [chpts 2-3]) as being the same as the ppl shown here in "things which must come to pass in quickness [noun]" / FUTURE section [4:1 onward]... who are saying "has redeemed US" [similarly to the wording in 1:5-6 "US... US"]... and in fact you view "considering who these [24 elders] are" as a DISTRACTION (from your *interpretation*), even though not only is the same word "white [G3022]" used, but also the same words "clothed [G4016]" [now 'having been clothed [perfect participle - G4016]'] and "raiment/garments [G2440]";) Entirely the same phrasing... but we can *dismiss* that thought because it doesn't fit in with your viewpoint. ;)

Your viewpoint neglects to align Paul's acknowledging of the INITIAL "birth PANG [SINGULAR; 1Th5:2-3]" (that Jesus Himself spoke of) as the STARTING POINT of "the Day of the Lord" (aka the TRIB years at its commencing), etc... In light of that (and other "chronology" and "timing" issues revealed in Scripture), I reject your viewpoint.
ppl = PEOPLE?

Chapters 2 & 3 are the churches and churches have people. Got it.
as being the same as the ppl shown here Do you mean the 24 elders? I now suspect they would be very different people.

I did not mean they were a distraction from my interpretation, only a distraction form the QUESTION: why was Jesus not found in that first search? (I wanted to concentrate on ONE POINT to see of we could agree there.)

we can *dismiss* that thought because it doesn't fit in with your viewpoint. ;) NO WE CAN'T! We must be honest in our study and with each other of we are to accomplish anything.

By the way, ANYONE has raiment which are clothes. I did not follow your argument. I picked one word used 17 times - and all other times to represent righteousness or Godliness. To me it would be absurd to believe God would then use it once for something evil. It would just never happen! I am amazed you think it would.

Your viewpoint neglects to align Paul's acknowledging of the INITIAL "birth PANG [SINGULAR; 1Th5:2-3]

3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

What is Paul's point? I will say that Paul is not speaking from experience here. We can suppose for women in his day, birth pains come suddenly. Once pain starts in childbirth, THERE IS NO ESCAPE! I certainly believe that the rapture will be the trigger for the start of the Day. I also believe Paul's "sudden destruction" will be a worldwide earthquake caused when Jesus raises the dead in Christ from around the world. Since it is worldwide, how could one escape? I don't think Paul is on any way thinking of Jesus mention of birth pains. He is talking about the rapture! I doubt if any of the gospels are written when Paul wrote this. I think his only point in speaking of birth is that one moment everything is fine, but the next moment, PAIN.

KJV Dictionary: Travail: "To suffer the pangs of childbirth"

IOW when someone is travailing in birth, they are having birth pain after birth pain to push the baby out. Travial, although single, refers to birth PAINS. (I think your preconceived ideas are showing. IOW you are stretching.

Therefore I totally disagree with you here. YOU seem very good at pushing your theory onto a verse instead of allowing the verse itself to talk! . ;)

(that Jesus Himself spoke of) as the STARTING POINT of "the Day of the Lord" (aka the TRIB years at its commencing),

No, sorry, you are changing horses in the middle of the stream. Let's look:

ASV But all these things are the beginning of travail.
AMPC All this is but the beginning [the early pains] of the birth pangs [of the intolerable anguish].

Travail or intolerable anguish of WHAT? (I submit, you are 2000 years ahead of the authors in these things)

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. [Jesus still in the church age you 2000 years ahead of Him!]
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. [All church age]
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. [The church age IS the beginning of sorrows.}
14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. [First mention of the end]
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation [Jesus jumps from church age to midpoint]

Being honest with scripture I still maintain, the beginning of sorrows is CHURCH AGE. Note: Jesus never mentioned the Day of the Lord. You ad libbed that.

There will be pain after pain, and they come more frequently today that 50 years ago.

Did you notice the gospel will be preached to the end of the world - verse 14? Another proof the intervening verses are church age.

Earthquakes 4 to 6 on the Richter scale
..................................early year -later year
2000 to 2010....117859..249995
1990 to 2000....75841...164993
1980 to 1990....52542...78582
1970 to 1980....29330...34745
1960 to 1970....1756....1756 (no small quakes)
1950 to 1960....1599....1599 (no small quakes)
1940 to 1950....0.......0

Beginning of sorrows getting stronger.

Now compare this timeline with the seals: using SCRIPTURE not theory:

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

6:1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals,

Jesus took the book as soon as He ascended. There was praise in heaven, but NO REAL TIME PASSING. He began opening the seals.

Seal 1, opened around 32 AD is the CHURCH sent out with the gospel. (White 17 times!)
Seals 2-4 Satan's tries to stop the advance of the gospel - limited to 1/4 of the earth These three ride together
Seal 5: martyrs of the church age. The first mention of a LONG WAIT.
(Rapture unseen by John)
Seal 6 the start of God's wrath.

I reject your viewpoint do to lack of scriptural backing. My viewpoint is solidly based in what is written.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
The beginning of sorrows - Far heavier calamities are yet to come before the end.

MacArthur Commentary
These are just the very early birth pains and they've been going on for 2,000 years and have been escalating.

Ran Steadman
this is but the beginning of the birth pangs." He is saying, in effect, "These events are but leading up to the end of the age

J Vernon McGee - I believe that our Lord, up there on the Mount of Olives, looked down to the end of the age and to the Great Tribulation Period, but that at the beginning of His discourse, He bridged the gap by giving us a picture of the present age of the church. I recognize that there are many good Bible teachers, much better than I am, who take the position that in Mt 24:5–8 He is speaking of the Tribulation Period, also; so if you want to disagree with me, you will be in very good company.

Hackett Commentary (I think)
In other words, the events described in Matthew 24:4-7 will lead us up to the time of the Great Tribulation.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Where did everyone go?

Jul 23, 2018
One thing I know for sure: the bible may appear to contradict itself, but it can't. If it is "us" (and I believe it is) then it seems the 4 beasts are saved by the blood. But perhaps there is an explanation for that.

I know Jesus ascended. I know He sent the Holy Spirit down. (verse 6) From the gospels we know what happened before He ascended. He rose from the dead. And before that, He died on the cross. All this had to take place sometime prior to verse 5.

Try this:
Chapter four was an instantaneous view of the throne room just after He rose from the dead. The elders that He raised with him shortly after went to heaven to sit in their chairs. John saw into the throne room a moment after they arrived.

(In a parenthesis) just before He rose from the dead - Chapter 5 - An angel was searching for one worthy to open the seals on the book. He had not risen yet so "no man was found." Then Jesus rose from the dead - as chapter 4 presented it - and was found worthy. (End the parenthesis.) Then the elders could sing, "you have redeemed us by your blood...

IOW: Put a parenthesis around 5:1-5. Then chapter 4 flows into chapter 5 starting with verse 6.

Jesus not seen in the throne room in chapter 4 because He was still on earth: had risen from the dead but not yet ascended. The elders raised with Jesus all there seated on their thrones.

The Holy Spirit still there because Jesus as Not yet Ascended.
Then Jesus ascended and sent the holy Spirit down. (Chapter 5:6)

John saw the search for one worthy before Jesus arose, that failed. He then arose and was found worthy. (But in a parenthesis outside of the timeline.)

I have always believed that the 24 elders were those who were raised when Jesus rose. Without much doubt, Adam, Seth, Abraham - the REAL elders! I just could not figure out how they got there in chapter 4 when I believed Jesus rose in chapter 5.

I will expect a whole bunch of disagreeing. ;)

Note: John used parentheses in several other chapters in Revelation.
Yes a lot of disagreeing.

Because you ASSUMED every single bit of it..... 100% Conjecture

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Yes a lot of disagreeing.

Because you ASSUMED every single bit of it..... 100% Conjecture
How can the ascension be be an assumption? He suddenly appeared in the throne room and the Holy Spirit then sent down.

Anyway, I heard from the Master on these things. When He said that first search ended in failure, I believed Him. I still do. When He asked why the Holy Spirit was there in chapter 4, when we would expect Him to have been sent down (in 95 AD) I trust He asked a legitimate question.

When He asked why He was not immediately seen in the throne room, I believe that confirms what John shows us: He did not see Jesus at the right hand of the Father. Jesus reminded me that there are over a dozen verses telling us that is where we should expect Him to be in 95 AD and that Stephen SAW Him there.

When there is a conflict between posters here on these threads and what Jesus said to me, I will always defer to Him. Every question He asked came right from John's text. Of course, you have a right to disagree. However, when we all arrive and know as we are known, you will find He did speak to me.