When is divorce ok?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tlg80

My entire life I have been taught that divorce is not ok, that nothing short of unfaithfulness should prompt divorce. Over the past year I have really battled with this. I finally divorced my husband after years of mental and emotional abuse, drug abuse, and other illegal activities (from his end). It took me a long time to finally leave him and there are so many reasons that I know I did the right thing, even by God's standards, that's what I know most of the time. Then there are times like right now that I doubt my decisions. I haven't ever gone on a date or anything because I feel like biblically I am not supposed to. Who knows why I am even putting this post out there? I guess I just need to talk to someone who knows what I'm going through.

Feb 10, 2008
My entire life I have been taught that divorce is not ok, that nothing short of unfaithfulness should prompt divorce. Over the past year I have really battled with this. I finally divorced my husband after years of mental and emotional abuse, drug abuse, and other illegal activities (from his end). It took me a long time to finally leave him and there are so many reasons that I know I did the right thing, even by God's standards, that's what I know most of the time. Then there are times like right now that I doubt my decisions. I haven't ever gone on a date or anything because I feel like biblically I am not supposed to. Who knows why I am even putting this post out there? I guess I just need to talk to someone who knows what I'm going through.
I hope this doesn't dissolve into a theological debate. I'd just like to give you this verse to contemplate.

1 Corinthians 10:23-24 said:
23“Everything is permissible”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible”—but not everything is constructive. 24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Last edited:
T

tlg80

In looking over my post again, I would say that even unfaithfulness wasn't necessarily grounds for divorce, but abuse always seemed like a no brainer. I'm not sure I see what you're getting at. I am not easily offended, so don't worry about that, I'm just not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that I should have stayed with my husband because it would be what blessed God most, that it would be "for the good of many, so that they may be saved" 1 Corinthians 10:33

Feb 10, 2008
In looking over my post again, I would say that even unfaithfulness wasn't necessarily grounds for divorce, but abuse always seemed like a no brainer. I'm not sure I see what you're getting at. I am not easily offended, so don't worry about that, I'm just not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that I should have stayed with my husband because it would be what blessed God most, that it would be "for the good of many, so that they may be saved" 1 Corinthians 10:33
I'm saying that as a believer you are no longer bound by the law. But that you should seek God's will in all things to determine what is beneficial. If you have done so, then who can condemn you? And if you are not condemned, then why are you afraid; why do you doubt?

Who am I to know what action would be the most beneficial? That's something between you and God. God has lifted individuals out of repression in order to save many. He has also worked through people who have remained in chains, abused by their earthly captors.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
In looking over my post again, I would say that even unfaithfulness wasn't necessarily grounds for divorce, but abuse always seemed like a no brainer.
This sentence says it all. You might be justified in divorcing for marital unfaithfulness, but where would you draw the line? Jesus says that even if you look at someone lustfully you're committing adultery, so even after a day both partners have probably committed adultery. And if you move on to the physical sense of adultery, why not just forgive? That seems like a much better option.

And the abuse thing...I would probably talk to a trusted pastor. For physical abuse, yes, hands-down you should get out of there. For emotional abuse it's a little trickier, as it's hard for you to discern what is actually emotional abuse and what is just your own pride. Again, talking to a pastor would probably be a good bet before making any hasty decisions.

In either case, the Bible is clear on the subject that if anyone gets divorced, they must remain divorced or else be reconciled to their spouse.

I'm saying that as a believer you are no longer bound by the law. But that you should seek God's will in all things to determine what is beneficial. If you have done so, then who can condemn you? And if you are not condemned, then why are you afraid; why do you doubt?
This goes beyond the law. In 1Corinthians 9 it explains that, though we are not under the law, we are still under Christ's law, and Christ said that if you get divorced, you must remain divorced or else be reconciled to your spouse. Otherwise, you become an adulterer.

Now there is a big difference between "committing adultery" and "being an adulterer". Committing adultery is a sin, and therefore is forgivable. Being an adulterer means that you are openly rebelling against God, refusing to repent. The Bible clearly says that there is no place in the kingdom of God for an adulterer.

Also, our marriages are a direct representation of our relationship with God, and they are made to be special relationships. That's why, though abolishing the Law, Jesus still takes the time to explain that marriage is an exception; you still have to follow the rules and keep it Holy and Sacred if you want to be part of the kingdom of God.

K

kshine

read 1 cor 7:10-13 and ask God to make it clear sometimes we read with know understanding and this was just made clear to me. I am the beliver and my husband is the non believer divorce had notthing to do with being put out of the home which i misunderstood. I thought that because I put him out I was to divorce him but it say that if the unbeliever wishes to leave the marriage he should divorce otherwise we remain married. if u commit adultry God still wants us to work it out if at all possible but thats two willing ppl moving in the same direction. abuse is a unhealty for anyone and seperation is sometimes needed but alot of ppl fear speperation and I was one because if your not talking then someone is walking and if you come togather to soon you may miss the point. also u think why should I remain married to someone who by actions dont want the marriage, because we answer to God and what ever you do ask for forgiveness pick up the piecees and move forward I have made a lot of mistakes to get this thing wright.hope this help

Last edited:

ada

Banned
Aug 25, 2011
You know that you are not allowed not marry again for those reasons,do you?
Cause you talked about the standards.
[COLOR=#000000 ! important][FONT=Arial ! important][/FONT][/COLOR]

Feb 10, 2008
This goes beyond the law. In 1Corinthians 9 it explains that, though we are not under the law, we are still under Christ's law, and Christ said that if you get divorced, you must remain divorced or else be reconciled to your spouse. Otherwise, you become an adulterer. .

Christ said... where?

Feb 10, 2008
1Corinthians 7:11. This is NOT Paul speaking of his own accord, it is Christ speaking through him.
Though it may be inspired by words, though the words may have come from God, you can't claim that Christ spoke them. Paul spoke them, well more specifically Paul wrote them.

As for the contents of 7:11; it only states that you should not end a marriage and begin a new one while you are still at odds with your ex. Where do you read that it is adultery?

Furthermore, 1 Corinthians 9 speaks nothing of "Christ's law". Was there some other passage you intended to cite?

As stated in my original post, I will not engage in a theological debate about it in this thread.

C

chiclet01

You know... it's interesting to me:

1 Corinthians 7:11 says: "But if she does leave him, let her remain single or else be reconciled to him."

And then later in 1 Corinthians 7:20-21: " Yes, each of you should remain as you were when God called you. Are you a slave? Don’t let that worry you—but if you get a chance to be free, take it."

The bold is obviously added by me. LOL.

In verses 20-21, Paul says to remain as they were, then addresses slaves... and yet he tells them that if they a chance to be free, take it. So why then would he in one verse say to "remain" and in the very next verse tell them to not remain if they can?

Is it possible that the word "remain" is not meant in a permanent sense? That perhaps he is urging to not rush out and seek those changes, but to be still and serve God so that His will can be accomplished rather than our own? If we are serving God and truly seeking Him, I truly believe that those changes will possibly come about in time. Possibly even (*gasp*) remarriage. Otherwise, why does Paul contradict himself?

It's interesting that we have somehow turned marriage into the thing that is unforgivable. The divorce (the thing God hates, remember?) is okay under certain circumstances, but marriage (something God has set into place and blesses) is the unforgivable sin to so many.

It's just interesting to me.