When is the Day of the Lord?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
I always thought the Day of the Lord was during the Tribulation, at the Last Trump, the 7th trumpet of Revelation. But I was re-reading 2 Peter last night and saw this:

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

This passage seems to tie with Revelation 21 which is of course the period AFTER the Millennium:

1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.

2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Both of the above appear to relate to the last part of the Olivet Discourse.
Mat 24:

35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,

39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.

41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.

42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.

44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

I always attributed the above passages to the 2nd coming, during the Tribulation, but we have clear similarities to the final day, after the Millennium here. We have reference to the heavens and earth passing away and to the Lord coming as a thief.

The reference to days like Noah always bothered me to be linked with the Tribulation because it would be hard to imagine people:

"eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage"

during such difficult times and not being ready for the Lord to come. So, are there two days of the Lord, one where He gathers His saints during the Trib and another at the end of the Trib?

May 18, 2010
Truth is no one will know day nor hour, not even the Son knows, but only the Father which is in heaven knows. Like you already posted; 36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. If you're wondering about the order of events I believe it would be among the Last events to happen, after the tribulation.

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
I did some further studying and it does appear the Day of the Lord is that "Great and Terrible Day at the end of the World (AGE). It is not the Day when the Lord returns to set up His millennial reign on earth.