when loving your child isnt easy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Leilaii425

Hi remmy, we are quite alike! I also have a three year old. who is extrememly strong willed and stubborn. Spanking doesnt work with her, i have found doing time out, or taking things away she likes works best. I know how you feel being exhausted as i am to a single parent. I get irritated fast especially when im tired, and i have a tendency to take it out on my daughter if shes acting up. So dont feel like your a bad mother, cause you lose your temper sometimes, we all do. My parents also spoil her and that makes her act really bratty at times. And like you i dont want a bratty kid. My mom and dad didnt discipline me enough when i was growin up or when they did it was severly, and i turned out to be horrible and rebellious as a teenager. I dont want my chid to turn out like me! or be anything like i was! So were on the same page here.

Back to what i was saying about the discipline, i'll explain what i do. For example this morning, she really likes to eat mc donalds for breakfast, so i told her we would go. Well she started throwin a fit screaming and yellin at me to get her something, i think she wanted some candy or something, so I got down on her level looked right at her and made sure she was lookin at me and said no, and if you dont stop yelling at me and screaming your sitting in time out, she keept it up i so made her sit down. She usually cointiues to yell and cry while shes sitting there, but i tell her shes not gettin up till she quits screamin and yellin. And if it persits even after that, we wont go to mc donalds or where ever it was she wanted to go that day that would be fun. Now i like for her to know what it was that she did wrong, so when i tell her she can get out of time out, i always have her come over to me and we sit down and i say why did mommy sit you in time out, and she'll tell me, it was cause i yelled at you or because i wasnt listning, then i tell her she needs to apologize. So she says sorry i give her a hug and i say i love you, and thats over and done with.

Generally when a child is hit alot, the chid starts to hit alot as well. And you cant say STOP HITTING, then hit the child, that sends mixed messages.

This doesnt happen over night it took me awhile to get her to that point. I had alot of trouble getting her to go to bed at one point, her bed time was 8:00 and for three hours she would get out of the bed and start playin in her room or she would run down stairs where i was. So i finally had to sit in her room with her and everytime she got out of the bed i would have to put her right back in it.. some nights it took me sitting in there for two and a half three hours, but she finally got the point that i wasnt messin around with her, and we dont have bed time trouble anymore lol My daughter knows when i say something i mean it, and there is no arguing. I wont tolerate her attitude or her yelling. So as soon as she starts it, she knows whats gonna happen. Like i said this took awhile to get here, When i first started doing this it took me putting her in time out six or seven times just in several hours because she was actin up so bad, I had to make her realize this isnt a game, she cant act any old way she wants to.

I also believe spending alone time with your son would be helpful, goin out and doin fun stuff together. goin for walks, goin to the park, whatever it is he likes to do. That made a HUGE huge impact in my daughters life, when me and her started spending alot of time together. I used to think of it as a hassle because she acted so horrible, but now i love when its just me and her. She started actin bad like that when she was about 2 years old, shes just about four now, and like i said since i started doing this when she was two her behavior has changed drastically! When she starts actin up in public now, all i have to do is give her a look and she knows she better knock it off. When you start discipling your son, he needs to know you mean it. You cant some days do it some days not. Cause again mixed signals. He needs to know your not gonna put up with that type of behavior from him.. Its alot of work, but its really worth it! Please feel free to message me if you have any questions or are just havin a bad day! I know what its like, and your certaintly not by yourself in this.

R

Remmy

Leilaii425: wow we are quite alike!
girl i was a very spoiled teenager too and my mom says when i was my sons age i was bad but not that bad as my son, that scared me alot..it just makes me wonder if my son would turn out twice as bad as me and i seriously do not want that! i must admit that sometimes i do get too caught up in the displining because i am soo scared of him ending up like me.

you are right about hitting him because i see that now because i useto hit him all the time and now he is also hitting his 2year old niece who also lives with us.and when i ask him why he hit her he tells me that she did something bad thats why he hit her.
the time out has been working out really good though...but i have a question...how long do you leave him time out? i usually leave him 15min..30 min when he did something really bad..is that too long? i have been doing the time out ffor 2 or 3 weeks,that keeps me from hitting him and a bit more in controle of my anger.
i also enjoy spending time with him and going out because now he listens to me.but the problem is im the only one he is listening too.he doesnt listen to my parents or my sisters or his dad(probably because hes not around too much).
my parents just have their own way of raising him...they dont really get it and they dont understand that it is confusing to my son when they raise him differently than i do...they do yell at him and try not to spoil him too much but hes still being rebellious around them.i really think that the time out will keep his attitude more in check..the yelling and hitting doesnt work for him anymore and that is what my parents dont understand.my parents are very old too..my dad is 74 and my mom is 64..they both still work to support this family so they have alot on their mind..i am very thankful that they take care of me and my son and my 2sisters and brother and little niece so i try not to nag them too much.

and you are right ,change does not come overnight so i have to be patient with him but also patient with myself.sometimes i cant forgive myself for treating him harshly which makes me feel like a failure.but God is good,he has already helped in those 3weeks.i am more patient and my son is behaving better(around me).i ahve to find another way to let my parents know how to raise him or i have to get out the house as soon as possible...well,getting out is impossible now so i dont know...i have to keep talking to them i guess.it is also hard because they are not christians..

anyway girl,thank you so much for the advice and encouragement..it is encouraging for me to see that others went through the same thing but got out of it.it is a reminder to me that im not a bad mother and that God will also deliver me from this.

God bless

L

Leilaii425

you only leave him in there according to how old he is. He is three years old, you need to leave him there for three minutes, when he turns four, sit him there for four minutes, you get the picture lol Im so glad to hear things are getting better!!!

1Covenant

Remmy
You have already heard from so many and know that you are not alone in your experience. I have 5 and it doesn't get easier but my goal is never and can never (for my own sanity) be in the short term. I discipline my children for my grand children's sake. I look for the change in the years ahead and I stay the course for the time being. In due season you reap the benefit.

I'll encourage you to ask your parents for a weekend away without your son. I would further suggest that during your time away you do two things; commit time to praying for your child that the Lord will work in his life, and read two particular books.
The heart of Anger by Lou Priolo
and
Shepherding a child's heart by Tedd Tripp

You should be able to find these on Amazon or Christian bookstores.

I can tell that you are on the right track because you are still spending time observing your son, recognizing not just your son's behavior but his responses to discipline. Pursue this further because it is his heart that you must shepherd.
I will commit some time to pray for you and your son.

R

Remmy

thank you covenant1!
it brings tears to my eyes to see how supporting everybody has been to me.thank you all!

unfortunatly i can not get books from amazone because i live outside the US and i dont have credit card..maybe i can find somebody with a credit card..thank you though!
i am also taking your advice..this weekend its gonna be me and my son spending time toghether..getting to know each other a litlle bit better..im excited!
and if you can do it with 5 i should be able to do it with one..you are right,i shouldnt give up..thank you for the encouragement

God bless