When the going gets rough, the tough... (no, its not a serious poll)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

When the going gets rough, the tough.... (multiple choice)

• get going

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • get chocolate

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • get ice cream

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • get mcdonalds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get donuts

• get sleepy

• get a movie

• get their bff on the phone

• get online

• get mac n cheese

• get pizza

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • get sad and depressed

• Other (explain below)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Aug 2, 2009
Please wait for the poll...but please, don't hold your breath! You might pass out and hit your head on the monitor and break it and then you won't be able to vote in the poll! :rolleyes:

Ok so the real question is...

When something bad happens and it affects you so much that you have to just stop everything and be alone with your thoughts for awhile, what are some of the things that you do to ease the pain?? (its a multiple choice poll)

Ok, I guess this thread is serious after all. :/

Last edited:

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
It kind of depends on HOW rough it gets, Gabe. However, here are some of mine:

Pray and ask the Lord what I can do to make my situation better (or get peace from Him about it just being something that I need to go through for spiritual growth and trust Jesus about).

Distract myself with someone who needs more help than I (often just by reading their story and praying for them, like with the persecuted church)

Cry it off (don't need to much these days ...)

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I workout and run a lot. I try to keep my mind occupied by, just torturing myself. It keeps me from spiraling.

That "inner pigdog" voice will just take over if I don't. Next thing I know I'm sitting on the couch eating ice cream out of the carton, watching lifetime movies and singing Mariah Carey to myself.

P

Powemm

I guess I look at trials more like tests from God... I automatically look at them now as God wants a look at my heart and what's in it ...
didn't always do this but have come to a very restful place being brought to it this way..
I first hand the situation up to God
I know he is bigger than the trial
I decide I'm going to trust him most through it , because I know his plan is perfact..
Share every emotion with Him first- because I know he's big enough to handle whatever im thinking , where others may not be able to endure the weight .
I dont lean on my own understanding but trust that God is either taking out or bringing In a new thing ..
I bend a sway to His will , not my own
I go and help others
I thank Him for what I "do" have and remain content in Him
I thank him for the testing of my heart towards Him ...

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I was really REALLY depressed back in 2009. It was part of the Reason I came to CC.

I know that when I get down. I pick fights, whether online or with people in my life.

Its really only after I realize how out of sync I am with myself that I really get on my knees and get back to my center.

J

Jullianna

1. I pray
2. I go for a run
3. I go to dance class
4. I drive my car very fast and listen to very loud music
5. I go shoot stuff

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I tend to say nothing until I'm alone, and then I rant at God. I tell Him exactly how I feel, even though He already knows. Then, when I've run out of steam (I imagine He gets pretty amused at me right about now), I get all quiet. And when I'm ready to listen, I say... "What should I do?"

Jul 25, 2012
I tend to say nothing until I'm alone, and then I rant at God. I tell Him exactly how I feel, even though He already knows. Then, when I've run out of steam (I imagine He gets pretty amused at me right about now), I get all quiet. And when I'm ready to listen, I say... "What should I do?"
I do something similar.

Aug 15, 2011
I have to say I run to GOD.
till I have peace, and know GOD
will help me thru it.

GOD BLESS

N

NukePooch

5. I go shoot stuff
I agree wholeheartedly. Target practice is very cathartic. Unfortunately, for me, it's also expensive...so I don't get to go as often as I'd like to.

P

Powemm

i also get my crossbow and go shoot targets lol
go fishing
Go out in the pasture and spend some time with my crossback mule "Minnie" and the horses ... Somehow their calmness and mannerisms calm me... I'll sit next to a spring with them ..writing or drawing ..
I turn K-love Christian music on and will sing it out sometimes too... Go for a drive through the wheat fields , in wide open country , stop somewhere and turn my music up and look out at all the beautiful things god has made... Sometimes will pop the back up and sit and watch sunsets ...
Or I'll grab my camera and take pictures randomly for people, down load them on a disk right there and hand it to them ...no charge
Nothing like throwing a blanket out on the ground under the stars and just pour my heart out to God too...
best of all is grabbing my acoustic guitar, building a fire out back and just play....

Last edited by a moderator:

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
Well, back in 2003-2004, and sporadically throughout the years until about 2010, I resorted to self-harm. Which was clearly not a good thing, but praise God that's not how I handle things anymore. Sometimes it's a temptation, so I can't say that the feeling is completely gone. But praise God it's not my first resort anymore. :)

Also, 2012 was a pretty bad year. Many huge changes went on, it seemed like I kept getting bad news, and it was just really hard. I tended to talk it out with my friends and family, but some of it I let fester inside.

I have a bad habit of letting things build until I just have one big cry session in my room, until God pretty much says, "My dear child, are you done now? Let me show you My truth" (much like the story of Job, which is why I like Job so much). But I'm trying to get better at not doing that and letting God walk through each thing with me, not just at the end when it all feels really bad, if that makes sense. Other times, I play guitar, write poetry, journal, listen to music (probably a bit too loudly), draw, sing, or go for a drive. When I was in college, I'd go play racquetball by myself and just smack the ball around. That helped when I was angry. :p

ETA: Also, sometimes Chocolate and I have a little get together.

Last edited:
A

adekruif

I like to talk with my mom.
I love to listen to loud "rock type" music
I like to spend time alone, no distractions...usually after those. ^^

D

dimples

but i usually cry or shout and then get strength through prayer..