When you're not "feeling it".

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Chapel

I am trying to reconnect with God, after being "out of the loop" for quit some time. I am one of those people who for years carried around a hatred for God and his people...but now I am really trying to change.

I sit in church and feel like an absolute alien. At a couple churches I'be tried, the preachers kept looking at me and kind of sneering because I was not jumping, shouting, and singing out like everyone else around me. One even transformed her sermon into a "you are a bad and ungrateful person if you do not shout, dance, and give YOUR Creator all the praise"...later some of the members also tried to give me a guilt trip, and it took all of my power to not start screaming at them! Some Christians, for some reason can't seem to grasp the concept not every has a "deep and special" relationship with the "Savior". If you ask for advice ...the answer to everything is..."pray about it", the words flow so freely from their lips as if EVERYONE is some sort of praying warrior or something. Or they give you a Scripture to read.

The conversation quickly turns into, "how DARE you have any ill feelings towards the one who GAVE YOU LIFE!!! How dare you not give all your love and praise to Jesus Christ who suffered and died for YOUR sins!"

And though I don't, I just want to shout back..."I didn't ASK for this life! I didn't a ASK to be born a sinner! I would much rather I had not been born at all so that I would not have to deal with this horrible existence that I am supposed to be so 'grateful' for!!!!"

I don't say it. But I want to. Because then I would have to deal with their condescending Christian glares, and fight the urge to punch their high horses in the face!

In the past...I have had some people on Christian Chat give some great advice ...which has helped me not to just give up.

Tried to pray last night. There were long moments were I couldn't say anything at all; feelings flowed through me that words could not come close to describing. Someone told me once that God doesn't hear the prayers of the unfaithful. And if that is the case then I truly am doomed.

I felt a little better afterwards. Maybe He did hear my words...even the ones I couldn't speak. Or maybe it is just wishful thinking.

K

kenisyes

We go by faith. Not by feelings, not by other people's theology. Sit in God's presence, cry if you need to. Be angry with Him, He is used to that, believe it or not. Ask for help, scream if you like, or stay silent, just to be near Him. It's all good because it is all saying how you want a relationship. No matter how disconnected you feel, He has never left you. The very fact that you posted this proves you are not unfaithful: you have enough faith to believe He is still there. Reach out, He will respond in a the way you need best, and probably not the way you have been expecting. You may not feel it, but maybe that's the point and it's time to walk in faith.

To reconnect with God and His people, stop expecting to find them in churches. There are some real christians there, but the percentages are against you. When you are back "in the loop", ask Him to send people to you. He will lead you to a group later.

H

HeberChristian

That is rubbish. The times the Lord would speak to me through Evangelists he said HE never stopped listening to my prayers though I was in sin at the time. Instead he would always tell me i have heard your clamor.
What kind of church are you visiting?
These are obviously carnal/fake Christians which do not bear fruit of the spirit which one of them is LOVE.

M

meomy

If God did not listen to the prayers of sinners,or the unfaithful. There would be no christians

respekt

Mar 5, 2013
If God did not listen to the prayers of sinners,or the unfaithful. There would be no christians
Amen to that! You just need time and wait for His perfect timing!

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
stay out of pentacostal churches as they tend to be just what you said. get you a Bible and began reading it, ask God to speak to you through it, and you will see that God loves you. people may or may not, but God does!!

A

Ariel82

Tried to pray last night. There were long moments were I couldn't say anything at all; feelings flowed through me that words could not come close to describing. Someone told me once that God doesn't hear the prayers of the unfaithful. And if that is the case then I truly am doomed.

I felt a little better afterwards. Maybe He did hear my words...even the ones I couldn't speak. Or maybe it is just wishful thinking.
Its not wishful thinking. God can always hear the hearts of those who truly seek Him.

Jesus came to heal the sick and the sinners. I pray that God leads you to a good church that will help you grow in His word and embrace you as a child of God.

Until then remember that you are never alone.

I love these verses because it reminds us that even when we don't have the words to pray aloud God hears us.

Romans 8
[SUP]26 [/SUP]Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[SUP][b][/SUP] with groanings which cannot be uttered. [SUP]27 [/SUP]Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

[SUP]28 [/SUP]And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

R

reject-tech

You don't have to go to any established building or congregation.

Ask him to teach you what that bible says, not what a person says.

He knows every thought, and every underlying thing you can't seem to express.

He's a good guy. He's the "daddy" some of us never had.

A

alehandra

The other 'natural' response to brokenness season is by being bitter. Our hearts does not become bitter automatically when people hurt us. Bitterness is our choice. No one can affect our hearts' condition unless we allow them to. In every situation we can always choose whether we will be 'bitter' or 'better'. The fact is, I never see any bitter person is thankful and a thankful person bitter. It may sounds strange, but thankfulness is the medicine to bitterness. "Give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thess 5:18) Of course, give thanks in the midst of trouble will be so unnatural for us. Some even do it just with a burdened heart simply because they have to (for example they try to obey God). But here is the view point. It is a matter of acknowledging His goodness in our present trouble. Yes, we can admit to God that, "I don't understand it Lord. But I still believe in your purpose. Keep doing on what You do." It's a whole different perspective which can set us free from a bitter heart. Another important key to be free is releasing forgiveness for those who hurted us. It's difficult and it will take time. But if we are willing to forgive, there is a hope.

As impossible as it sounds, God uses people who are 'weak'. People who acknowledge that they are nothing without their God. People who come humbly upon Him and surrender their independence to become fully dependent to Him alone. Psalm 51:17 says, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." And sometimes, it takes a series of circumstances to bring us up to this point. Peter was being broken for his failure by denying Christ three times. He wept bitterly. Yet God touched his brokenness by asking "Do you love me?" three times (John 21:15-17)and in the end used him so powerfully to preach the good news. The fact is, we simply cannot be broken where things are running so good in our lives, can we? Be glad if God breaks your heart right now, for it always meant for a greater purpose beyond your imagination. Yes, you cannot see it now, but one day you will, and you will be amazed.

"For the LORD will comfort Zion, He will comfort all her waste places; He will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord; joy and gladness will be found in it, thanksgiving and the voice of melody." If a desert can be turned to become a garden in the hands of God, than your brokenness is more than able to be used to proclaim His glory too. It will be just like a dream, but God's promise will come true as we respond to our brokenness rightly. Do not harbor anger, self-pity, nor bitterness in this season. Just offer your sacrifice of a broken heart, sincere trust in God, and thanksgiving for His goodness. As you respond in God's ways, you will more likely to end in God's plan.

"If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the Repairer of the Broken Walls, the restorer of streets to dwell in." (Isaiah 58:10-12)

One day, in the midst of your current ruins, God will built a new home. He is the ultimate Repairer of Broken Walls, broken soul, broken hearts. He is the ultimate healer. If you respond correctly, pouring your life to serve others instead of focusing on your own wounds, releasing forgiveness, and willing to surrender to God, this will be your destiny. God is more than able to heal the broken hearts, if you give Him all the pieces.

Be blessing
-cilla-

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I would concur with most of the above advice. Mainly, God hears you -- whether it's spoken words or simply silent emotions -- God hears you!

I also agree that you need to find a different church. Is there a Bible church in your area? Try that. It may be a bit more traditional than what you are used to, but I, personally, have found that most of the Christians in Bible churches are authentically desirous of having a relationship with Jesus and they want to help everyone grow spiritually. Just my opinion.

C

Chapel

Thanks to everyone who imparted their knowledge and gave advice. I will be contacting you all individually for further discussion.