Where did Elijah go?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
I keep hearing that Elijah was taken to Heaven, (2 Kings 2;11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.), but Jesus said, (John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.) The only discernible difference I can see, at least in this translation is that Elijah went to Heaven and Jesus went into Heaven. There is a verse that says (1 Thessalonians 4:17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.) So do you think that Elijah is waiting outside Heavens gate, in the air, or elsewhere? Also at this time he has his translated body which, I presume will allow him to be anywhere God allows.

C

coby

I think He meant where God the Father dwells.

Nov 22, 2015
Elijah I believe was taken to Sheol to be with Abraham in his bosom as it was called until the time when Jesus came and led them out of there. There are 3 parts to the word Heaven ...one just means taken into the air in the sky...there is a 1, 2nd and 3rd heaven..one is the sky above..the 2nd is the universe..the 3rd heaven ( where Paul said he went )..is heaven itself.

I agree with Jesus' statement..

Jesus said, (John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.)

But the really good news is...one day we can ask Elijah himself where exactly he went....:)

Sep 4, 2012
The interesting thing about John 3:13 is that Jesus spoke that before he had ascended to heaven as the son of man.

I think what was saying in that verse is that no man can ascend into heaven except through Jesus, i.e., born of water (baptism unto forgiveness of sins) and the spirit (the new birth).

Last edited:

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
Post #2 You may be exactly right, considering that God is everywhere.
Post #3 Ecclesiastes 9:10 of the Complete Jewish Bible reads: (Whatever task comes your way to do, do it with all your strength; because in Sh’ol, where you will go, there is neither working nor planning, neither knowledge nor wisdom.) so I am not sure that is where Elijah went. By the same token I can't be sure that he wasn't. Possibly, this is where our spirits go back to be with God and we are not aware of anything there, the same as before we were born and God blew the breath of life (spirit) into us.
Post #4 Elijah was before Jesus time and because all are saved through Jesus, I would think that Elijah should have been able to enter into Heaven, if that were the only criteria, but in this instance it says that he was taken to Heaven, not into Heaven. It makes me think that no one will be allowed to enter until after Jesus returns.

A

Ariel82

There are 3 heavens...

A

Ariel82

The tabernacle was an earthly representation of God's heavenly home....only the High priest was allowed in the inner sanctum. Everyone else waited outside. Anyone unclean who entered God's presence died.

I believe Elijah was taken into the outer courts of heaven but only Jesus our eternal high priest has ever been in the inner sanctum where God lives.

Jul 25, 2013
Who was with Moses during the transfiguration of Jesus and where do you sapose those two were right before that? God is the God of the living ...

Last edited:

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
All we really know is that it was a good place. Does everything need a label? Since he walked with God, I assume he just continued that fellowship. And wherever God is, that is heaven.

prove-all

May 16, 2014
Heaven

“Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them” (Gen. 2:1).
This word heavens refers to two different heavens.

The first heaven consists of the Earth’s atmosphere. The second heaven is
the vast reaches of space beyond the atmosphere.

There is also a third heaven: the home of God. The Apostle Paul saw this “third heaven,”
where God’s throne is, in a vision (ii Cor. 12:1-2). This vision was so intensely realistic
that Paul was unable to tell if he was physically there, or if he was seeing it in his mind.

In Hebrews 4:14, the phrase “into the heavens,” should be translated “through the heavens.”
We see that Jesus Christ passed through the first two heavens—Earth’s atmosphere and outer space
—as He ascended to the third heaven.

John 3:13 reveals that no man has ascended to heaven except for Jesus Christ.

Certainly many have ascended to the first and second heavens by aircraft, spacecraft
and other means, so this verse can only refer to the third heaven,
where the Almighty God resides.

Some have said that Elijah ascended to heaven, which he did—but not to the third
heaven. He was taken by chariots of fire up into the first heaven (ii Kings 2:11).
The Hebrew word used for heaven here is the same as in Genesis 2:1.

Elijah did not die during this experience.

In fact, Elijah wrote a letter to King Jehoram years after this event (ii Chron. 21:12).
Elijah had been miraculously transported to another location on Earth.

Jul 25, 2013
Jesus said, and if you can accept this; This was Elijah for to come. It appears Elijah had his head chopped off and died as a man.
And It is also wriitten about a mistery, that we shall be changed in the twenkling of an eye.

Feb 9, 2010
Elijah I believe was taken to Sheol to be with Abraham in his bosom as it was called until the time when Jesus came and led them out of there. There are 3 parts to the word Heaven ...one just means taken into the air in the sky...there is a 1, 2nd and 3rd heaven..one is the sky above..the 2nd is the universe..the 3rd heaven ( where Paul said he went )..is heaven itself.

I agree with Jesus' statement..

Jesus said, (John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.)

But the really good news is...one day we can ask Elijah himself where exactly he went....:)
True,the air above us in considered heaven,and God dwells in the third heaven,but it is not where Paul went,but Paul said he knew a man that went there,which would be John.

Nov 22, 2015
The scripture indicates that Paul is talking about himself about going to the 3rd heaven.

John in revelation didn't happened until after Paul was dead for years. John wrote Revelation when he was 92 years old. it is said that John was sent to Patmos in the year 95AD.

It is said that Paul wrote 2 Cor in 57AD..so this going to the 3rd heaven would have occurred 14 years before that - which makes it around 43AD when the 3rd heaven event occurred.

Do you have any evidence to show something else?..there may be...I just haven't seen it yet.

.2 Corinthians 12:1-5 (NASB)
[SUP]1 [/SUP] Boasting is necessary, though it is not profitable; but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.
[SUP]2 [/SUP] I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven.
[SUP]3 [/SUP] And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows—
[SUP]4 [/SUP] was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.
[SUP]5 [/SUP] On behalf of such a man I will boast; but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses.

True,the air above us in considered heaven,and God dwells in the third heaven,but it is not where Paul went,but Paul said he knew a man that went there,which would be John.

P

pottersclay

Jesus said, and if you can accept this; This was Elijah for to come. It appears Elijah had his head chopped off and died as a man.
And It is also wriitten about a mistery, that we shall be changed in the twenkling of an eye.
????....huh

T

Tintin

Uh. What Bible are you reading? That's wrong. Very wrong.

DP

Banned
Sep 27, 2015
I keep hearing that Elijah was taken to Heaven, (2 Kings 2;11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.), but Jesus said, (John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.) The only discernible difference I can see, at least in this translation is that Elijah went to Heaven and Jesus went into Heaven. There is a verse that says (1 Thessalonians 4:17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.) So do you think that Elijah is waiting outside Heavens gate, in the air, or elsewhere? Also at this time he has his translated body which, I presume will allow him to be anywhere God allows.
Ah, one of the great wonderings about how God made us and what Heaven is.

Apostle Peter showed that at our Lord Jesus' resurrection, He went to haides and preached to the spirits in prison. That was prophesy from Isaiah 42:7 that He would do that, and lead the prisoners out of that prison house.

Isa 42:6-7
6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
KJV

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

Many fail to read that 1 Pet.4 part after the 1 Pet.3 "spirits in prison" Scripture. Like Eccl.12:5-7 shows, and the resurrection that happened when Jesus died on the cross, our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. To be asbsent from the body is to be present with The Lord (2 Cor.5).

K

Kaycie

Heaven is another word for sky. Elijah was taken up in a whirlwind on a firey chariot into the sky, and then to Abrahams side (paradise). No one goes to heaven until the judgement day.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Heaven is another word for sky. Elijah was taken up in a whirlwind on a firey chariot into the sky, and then to Abrahams side (paradise). No one goes to heaven until the judgement day.
Good evening Kaycie,

Regarding "No one goes to heaven until the judgement day" please consider the following:

"When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been."

When the 5th seal is opened, John sees the souls of those who had been killed under the altar in heaven. The are conscious, alert, are having a conversation, and are given white robes to wear. So, this is just one of many scriptures that demonstrate the souls/spirits of those who have died being in heaven. Here is some more scriptural proof:

"Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

So according to Paul, to be present in the body is to be absent from the Lord and to be absent from the body is to be in the presence of the Lord. When the believer dies, their spirit/soul departs and goes to be in the presence of the Lord, but the body is decaying in the earth. When the resurrection takes place Jesus will bring with him the spirits/souls of those who have died in him and then God will reanimate those bodies with heavenly characteristics, immortal and glorified bodies, along with the living who will have been transformed and will take the entire group back to the Father's house. Paul reiterates the same information in the Phil.1:23:

"If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."

Regarding the above, Paul teaches at the time of death that the soul/spirit departs and goes immediately to be with Christ.

P

pottersclay

​O great...Elijah missing......don't blame me.

DP

Banned
Sep 27, 2015
Heaven is a word used for both the sky atmosphere around the earth, and... the spiritual dimension of Heaven where God's abode is. The sky is part of today's material earthly dimension (likewise with the planets, stars, galaxies, etc.). God's heavenly abode is a totally different place, in another dimension than the earthly material dimension. Spirit was before material matter, for God is a Spirit like Apostle John said (John 4:24).