Where Did The Light Come From In Genesis 1:3?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
chosenv said:
Hi Enow, I'm new to this site. I have a question maybe you or someone else can answer for me. Genesis 1-3 says, and God said let there be light, but when you go to the 16th verse it he created the sun and the moon. Where did the light come from in the 3rd verse?

I believe from God. Here's why by the scripture. This is a prophesy concerning the future below in Isaiah.

Isaiah 60:1Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. 2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee. 3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.......19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. 20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

There is a reference to Jesus being that source of the light and thus was identified as that Light in creation.

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

When Jesus took our sins on the cross, there was an unexplainable darkness in history that was recorded by a secular historian, Thallus, in his third book "History of the East Mediteranean" by assuming it was an eclipse, but Julius Africanus, another secular historian corrected him by saying it was unreasonable because there was no eclipse scheduled at that time.

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Sin had seperated us from God and so when Jesus the source of that light in the world took our sins upon Himself, then that was the cause of the darkness. What our Creator had done for us reflected in creation.

I cannot imagine how that felt for the Son of God to be seperated like that from the Father, but that goes to show the depths He has gone through to bring us back to God.

So now that we have been reconciled to God, this is the future glory that awaits us of our hope in Christ.

Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

1 Peter 2:9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

So I am very certain that the light came from God since God is light.

1 John 1:5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

M

MaggieMye

Remember that the FIRST thing God said was "Let there be light". He was calling into a physical presence, a manifestation of His glory. Science has proven that ALL things, broken down to smaller than atoms, into 'quarks', ARE LIGHT. Everything you see and touch is MADE from LIGHT, by God's command. The whole earth is an extension of Himself. WE are made from the Earth and are also made from light...every cell, every atom, every quark is light. Google it if you don't believe me.
And here's the kicker...even in complete physical darkness, there is light because objects still have substance. Our eyes cannot 'see' them, but our hands can feel ...those objects whose quarks in the atoms, in the molecule, in the cells, in the tissue, in the organism, etc....that ARE Light. (Of course SPIRITUAL DARKNESS is another matter)
1. who said, “*Light*shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the*Light*of the knowledge of the glory of*God*in the face of Christ.Psalm 18:28
For You*light*my lamp; The LORD my*God*illumines my darkness.
Psalm 27:1
[*A Psalm of Fearless Trust in*God.*] A Psalm of David. The LORD is my*light*and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalm 118:27
The LORD is*God, and He has given us*light; (He has given of Himself!)
2. Isaiah 60:19
“No longer will you have the sun for*light*by day, Nor for brightness will the moon give you*light; But you will have the LORD for an everlasting*light, And yas called you out of darkness into His marvelous*light;
1 John 1:5
[*God*Is*Light*] This is the messagour*God*for your glory.
2 Corinthians 4:6
For*God, who said, “*Light*shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the*Light*of the knowledge of the glory of*God*in the face of Christ.Psalm 18:28
For You*light*my lamp; The LORD my*God*illumines my darkness.
Psalm 27:1
[*A Psalm of Fearless Trust in*God.*] A Psalm of David. The LORD is my*light*and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalm 118:27
The LORD is*God, and He has given us*light; (He has given of Himself!)
Ephesians 3:9
and to bring to*light*what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in*Godwho created all things; (He created light)
1 Peter 2:9
But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HO
Ephesians 3:9
and to bring to*light*what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in*Godwho created all things; (He created light)
1 Peter 2:9
But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR*God’s OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who he we have heard from Him and announce to you, that*God*is*Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
1 John 1:4-6*(in Context

G

Gav777

God is light & in Him there is no darkness. This is a universal principal, no life exists without light it seems.

Jul 12, 2012
Physically, there could be a number of explanations, possibly the first light was the first star somewhere distant, or maybe our sun was made before earth got caught in orbit to "set" the sun in the sky, who knows.

Spiritually, light (revelation) came into being in the mind soon after the body left the birth canal. When the mind was shapeless and void and the eyes were crying. The baby opened it's eyes the first time, removing darkness from the face of the deep. And the baby remained in this state for the first year.

All glory and honor and power to YHWH and the Lamb.

S

spirit1st

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

The Sun was made , but not Yet burning!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
As God spoke "Let there be light".
His Word is light.
Entering darkness and chaos,
the very first words recorded out of 'the mouth of God'.

M

MaggieMye

From WolfInOxHide: "Physically, there could be a number of explanations, possibly the first light was the first star somewhere distant, or maybe our sun was made before earth got caught in orbit to "set" the sun in the sky, who knows. And just WHO made the star or sun??

Spiritually, light (revelation) came into being in the mind soon after the body left the birth canal. Where did you find that bit of New Age garbage?? For the BIBLE tells us that a child has a spirit and soul upon conception through the words of Job, where he speaks of it being better for him to have been miscarried by his mother so as to not have to suffer in life, but to go a place of peace a waiting (Sheol is that place in the OT...it is not 'hell'.When the mind was shapeless and void and the eyes were crying. the mind shapeless?? A mind with no ability to think or respond is NOT capable of learning. It cannot conceive or receive. The baby opened it's eyes the first time, removing darkness from the face of the deep. And the baby remained in this state for the first year. Well, your kids might have been that way, and I do feel sorry for you, but my kids and all others that I know have not/did not remain in a mindless state for the first year of life. Seriously? Do you not know how they grow and learn and interact with their surroundings?? They interact IMMEDIATELY UPON BIRTH. IF FACT!! There is proof that they interact BEFORE they are born to the stimuli both inside and outside of the womb. You need to read the research on babies before you make such inane statements.

All glory and honor and power to YHWH and the Lamb. Yeah...and do you not recall how John the Baptist, while still in his mother's (Elizabeth) womb, 'leaped' within her at the sound of Mary's voice when she was pregnant with the Christ child?? Luke 1:41 EVEN SCRIPTURE tells us that babies respond and have both soul and spirit BEFORE BIRTH.
Maggie
Maggie

M

MidniteWelder

Sin had seperated us from God and so when Jesus the source of that light in the world took our sins upon Himself, then that was the cause of the darkness. What our Creator had done for us reflected in creation.
I like what youve said here, :) another way I like to look at it is
"Christ took it upon himself to be able to take away from us that which drives a wedge between and separates us from God, so we would no longer have to be or have any excuse to be separated from the Father"

As he experienced what it is like to be forsaken (Im certain if the 3 hours were all it was that would be enough for him since his thoughts were always Gods thoughts"
Being as this is the case Im also pretty certain he would do everything he could so long as one is willing to listen to his voice, to prevent any separation from him.

Cobb

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
I believe from God. Here's why by the scripture. This is a prophesy concerning the future below in Isaiah.
Yes exactly; and this is all prophetic, right from the start. Jesus fulfilled this thus:

Matt 4:14 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, 15 The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; 16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. 17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

"let there be light" is the same as "preaching the gospel"- this is all prophetic, beginning with the Spirit of God moving on the face of the waters (john the baptist) and culminating in the 6th day "let us make man in our own image" (the great commission) and through the preaching of the gospel God is making man in his own image.

And this all happens again just prior to the second coming; beginning with "and the earth was without form and void" which is prophetic of the judgement of God (specifically by the hand of the King of Babel which is why Jeremiah describes it as Jer 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

Then "let there be light" the gospel starts getting preached and we repeat the process under the new covenant instead of the old (Jesus being the fulfillment/ending of the old covenant and the beginning of the new), and we culminate with another "let us make man in our image" announcement and then the 1,000 year reign.

Jul 12, 2012
And just WHO made the star or sun??
YHWH of course.

O... MaggieMye, you have missed my words.

The illusive tree of life is the creation story itself. It is a pattern of the way everything is to be accomplished, be it physical or idealistic. But we cannot see this unless we can get past the flaming sword. The sword is the word used to kill, flaming as if to witness our wrongdoings.
If we are already dead to self, we can walk right past it. Otherwise, we waste our time making graven images of "light", "tree", "water", etc., when all we have to do is look at nature (the paradise of Elohim) and figure out which part of our spirit and His, is represented by those physical things.

To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

In the beginning, do you not name and therefore create your yet shapeless business idea? "Let there be bookstore"
In the beginning, when born (or conceived) does the baby identify anything external? Not until it sees for the first time.

As time passes, the baby learns. In it's first year though, most of what it does is wake, sleep, poop, cry and eat.
It lives in an entirely emotional state. The only negativity it perceives is "need". Until the dry land appears around age 2, reasoning begins to occur, and the heavens are separated, another concept appears, affliction. And the firmament, in this case, communication, is created to deal with the two. Crying "More!" (I'm thirsty for water!) and Crying "Ouch!" (Why did that burn me?!)

He created the greater light (taught the concept of "dad") to rule the day, and the lesser light (taught the concept of "mom") to rule the night. When you are about 4 years old, the age when you realize mom and dad are more than just "people who are there for you" but rather that they are actually performing established roles with guidelines, with signs through seasons, and that your friends also have their own mom and dad.
He also created the stars (siblings.)

"Will I and your mother and your brothers indeed bow down before you?" -Jacob
In this understanding, they have indeed bowed low for some reading at this moment.
For now they see inwardly.
My brothers envy the dream, but I, (Jacob become Israel), observe the saying.

It's not new age garbage, it's very ancient.

To focus on Genesis for the trivial purpose of a "six day creation" or simply "proof of creation", is to suggest that one (self or other) needs "proof" of God's existence. This is the mindset of a weak and adulterous generation seeking a sign. And that's all it's being used for today.
The snake is on the inside and it will be cast down.

Externalization of scripture is a manifestation of lust of the flesh. Done so innocently by us in this day who are taught to ponder walmart as the sermon winds down. It's not our fault to engage in it, until we realize we are engaging in it.
Scripture is not about "rapture chips", "catholic illuminati", or "atomic antichrists" spoken of in ancient days.
It's about God and the reader.

There is only ONE person in the whole bible that is not YOU, or an aspect of YOUR personality(s), and that is Yeshua. Yet, even He can be risen in you. Lift Him up from your "earth" (material based reasoning), into your "heaven", where God dwells, so that all men may be drawn to Him.
Stop worrying about how Noah fit so many animals onto a boat, whether the flood was local or global, etc.
That's "proving God".
Instead, look for nuances like the fact that every other man's heart besides Noah's family, was more corrupt than even any unclean animal you can imagine. Take the recklessly promiscuous sex-craved bonobo ape for example. They were more acceptable to God at that time than mankind.
I don't know where Noah kept the skunks, but they were there, sweeter to smell than mankind on that day.

WE are Nebuchadnezzar, building our golden statue.
WE have the chance to become Daniel.

WE are all twelve sons of Jacob
WE have the chance to become all twelve sons of Israel.
WE even have the chance to become the 12 judges.

Scripture is the Lamb's book of life, so if you want to know - if and how your name is written in it - start looking.

Instead of realizing we are Pharoah, we externally judge a "him" repeatedly and meanwhile our heart is hardened as we counter our own self judgment by trying to get our helpers to explain it all away. Our doom is laid out before us, which is trying to follow through a place that was made to save a chosen people, yet we are not yet personally chosen.
All you have to do to "flip" from being "Pharoah" to "chosen" is to put the Lamb's blood around your door.
Many are called, few are chosen. But all are reconciled in the end.

The shepherd's staff has been cast upon the earth. Behold the thing that deceives you, "wavering opinion"
What once was drank as water now becomes a cry for salvation. The only blood permissible to drink is the cry of salvation that Yeshua made, which was a cry for everyone's salvation, not personal salvation like we are taught to do, and are never able to accept, evidenced in our constant obsession and worry over judgment day. If you worry about whether "you" are saved, you wash in your own blood. If you worry about whether "they" are saved, you wash in the blood of the Lamb. Drink it like wine, to the brink of drunkenness, even to a strong buzz.

The physical example of "light" is made the way it is to represent what happens inside the noggin.
It allows one to "see" things, and it comes most strongly from heaven. The best we can do on our own is a candle or a torch. Here is my candle. I do not hide it, and I do not burn you while you are in your bed asleep by telling you you'll "go to hell" if you don't see things the way I do.
I do however challenge the idea that my words are "new age garbage" in the sense that the statement was presented.
And I concede that they are "new age garbage" in the sense that this is indeed a new age in bible chronology, and that "garbage" is always rejected.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure." The word and metaphors of YHWH hidden in every artistic work and quip, at the subtle hands of the Set Apart Spirit.
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
A messenger in works is better than a witness in mere concept.

To be the light of the world means to be a revelation.
"Let there be light."

Peace.