Where would you recommend a beginner start to read the bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

RachelBibleStudent

here is a plan that might work well...

read one chapter from the old testament and one chapter from the new testament every day...starting in genesis and matthew...

it will take you just over two and a half years to finish...and by the time you are done you will have read the old testament once and you will be halfway through your fourth reading of the new testament

C

Crossfire

I would definitely begin with reading the gospels. It's important to understand what Jesus taught before you read Paul because far too many attempt to twist Paul's words to conflict with the teachings of Jesus.

Romans and Ephesians are great opener after reading the gospels for the beginning Christian

I would recommend reading John a couple of times, including 1st John with it every time. Also it would help to read Genesis 1 with John Chapter 1.

Mar 18, 2011
read the new testament first.. thats the new covenant.. the old testament is good to learn who GOD is as well as finding all of the prophecies for Jesus, but the New testament is infinitely more important to us today than the old testament.. the original covenant has been closed, rendered obsolete. Also I would not recommend reading here, then jumping there, then back to here. You risk jumbling the understanding you are trying to form. Sorry Rachel, I just don't agree with you. The reason I suggested John is that the first four books in the NT all tell the same story from different points of views. So to help give you the complete story unrepeated of the new testament I suggested starting at the last of the 4.. thats John. Take are and God bless :)

R

RachelBibleStudent

read the new testament first.. thats the new covenant.. the old testament is good to learn who GOD is as well as finding all of the prophecies for Jesus, but the New testament is infinitely more important to us today than the old testament.. the original covenant has been closed, rendered obsolete. Also I would not recommend reading here, then jumping there, then back to here. You risk jumbling the understanding you are trying to form. Sorry Rachel, I just don't agree with you. The reason I suggested John is that the first four books in the NT all tell the same story from different points of views. So to help give you the complete story unrepeated of the new testament I suggested starting at the last of the 4.. thats John. Take are and God bless :)
it depends on what you need to learn...

i needed to start in the old testament because i didn't understand where any of the new testament stuff was coming from...

like john 3:16... who is God? why does he love the world? why do people perish without jesus? why don't we already have eternal life? how does God sacrificing his son fix that?

those were the kinds of questions i had...and the old testament was good for answering them...

R

Reeseluv27

Thank you guys so much for all the reply's, I believe I am leaning more towards starting with John. But most importantly I will get through to everything.

God Bless

Reeseluv27

:)

S

swizzlesticka

I do agree with you, Rachel, that an OT background is important. If you don't understand the OT, the Magnitude of the words, actions, and even of the existence of the Christ are all but lost. For example, the set up of the Christmas Story in Luke are much more significant when you know the heroes of the OT stories who were born from barren wombs.

Nonetheless, if you must begin studying by yourself, unaided, I would begin with the Gospels. Genesis IS another good one for beginners; I agree. Leviticus is a heavy read from ground zero, though

Reese, If you can find a good teaching on the Covenant, it will TREMENDOUSLY help your understanding of the ENTIRE Bible. One that helped me a lot was by a man called Malcolm Smith. I think it was a 6 tape (yes I listened to it on tape, but I'm sure it's on CD now) series called "Blood Covenant"

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Thank you guys so much for all the reply's, I believe I am leaning more towards starting with John. But most importantly I will get through to everything.

God Bless

Reeseluv27

:)
after the Gospels (i love John), i think the new believer should understand the Book of Romans.
after that Ephesians, and later one can go through the 2 letters to the Thessalonians.
zone.

R

Romansonetwentytwo

I started with Genesis (and a KJV) it answered a lot of the questions I first had. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions posted here though. God bless.

Feb 16, 2011
I believe that a new convert should begin with the New Testament and reference the OLd Testament. Depends on what Bible they have. If they have a good study Bible they can follow the references all around the Bible. That is what I used to do. A good study Bible that provides references for background and study is a good idea.

B

babyboyblue

Where would you recommend a beginner start to read the bible?
And why?
Hello,

Start with Page 1.

It's a book with a beginning, middle and end. How does one expect to understand any book if they start from any place except the beginning?

S

shiner500

I strongly recommend getting a version you can understand.I have a hard time reading KJV so I typically use NIV(Thompson chain-reference Bible)