Who did any healing except Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
From Acts 9

31 the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria experienced a time of peace. It grew in
strength and numbers, living in the fear of the Lord and the encouragement of the Holy Spirit.

32 As Peter traveled throughout the area, he went to visit the saints in Lydda. 33 There he found a man
named Aeneas, who had been paralyzed and bedridden for eight years. 34 “Aeneas,” Peter said to him,
“Jesus Christ heals you! Get up and put away your mat.” Immediately Aeneas got up, 35 and all who
lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

36 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which is translated as Dorcas), who was always
occupied with works of kindness and charity. 37 At that time, however, she became sick and died,
and her body was washed and placed in an upper room. 38 Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples
heard that Peter was there and sent two men to urge him, “Come to us without delay.”

39 So Peter got up and went with them. On his arrival, they took him to the upper room. All the widows stood around
him, weeping and showing him the tunics and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

40 Then Peter sent them all out of the room. He knelt down and prayed, and turning toward her body, he said,
“Tabitha, get up!” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter, she sat up. 41 Peter took her by the hand and helped
her up. Then he called the saints and widows and presented her to them alive.

42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.
43 And Peter stayed for several days in Joppa with a tanner named Simon.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
From Acts 9

31 the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria experienced a time of peace. It grew in
strength and numbers, living in the fear of the Lord and the encouragement of the Holy Spirit.

32 As Peter traveled throughout the area, he went to visit the saints in Lydda. 33 There he found a man
named Aeneas, who had been paralyzed and bedridden for eight years. 34 “Aeneas,” Peter said to him,
“Jesus Christ heals you! Get up and put away your mat.” Immediately Aeneas got up, 35 and all who
lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

36 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which is translated as Dorcas), who was always
occupied with works of kindness and charity. 37 At that time, however, she became sick and died,
and her body was washed and placed in an upper room. 38 Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples
heard that Peter was there and sent two men to urge him, “Come to us without delay.”

39 So Peter got up and went with them. On his arrival, they took him to the upper room. All the widows stood around
him, weeping and showing him the tunics and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

40 Then Peter sent them all out of the room. He knelt down and prayed, and turning toward her body, he said,
“Tabitha, get up!” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter, she sat up. 41 Peter took her by the hand and helped
her up. Then he called the saints and widows and presented her to them alive.

42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.
43 And Peter stayed for several days in Joppa with a tanner named Simon.
Strange, I always thought Jesus had raised Tabitha from the dead. Looks like I was mistaken.
Ah - Jairus' daughter was called Talitha! That's where my confusion lay, no wonder as the spelling is so similar.
I didn't know of these these miracles of Peter.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Strange, I always thought Jesus had raised Tabitha from the dead. Looks like I was mistaken.
Ah - Jairus' daughter was called Talitha! That's where my confusion lay, no wonder as the spelling is so similar.
I didn't know of these these miracles of Peter.
Are you only looking for healings/miracles done by Jesus' contemporaries?

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Are you only looking for healings/miracles done by Jesus' contemporaries?
Well, no. Miraculous healings by anyone in the Bible. Jesus healed thousands, he healed them all, it says. All who came to Him.
I wondered who else healed as He did. It never says the Pharisees or Sadducees healed at all. Did Jesus disciples heal - except very few specific cases? Did Paul heal?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well, no. Miraculous healings by anyone in the Bible. Jesus healed thousands, he healed them all, it says. All who came to Him.
I wondered who else healed as He did. It never says the Pharisees or Sadducees healed at all. Did Jesus disciples heal - except very few specific cases? Did Paul heal?
Now you're just moving the goal posts. First you said who actually did any. Then you changed it to any while Jesus was here. Then you started talking about healing thousands.

Which question are you asking?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The prophets Elijah and Elisha performed miracles (eight, and sixteen, respectively). (source)

Elijah causes drought in the Kingdom of Israel (1 Kings 17:1 - 5).

He prolongs a widow’s scant food supply (1 Kings 17:9 - 16).

Elijah resurrects the widow's son (1 Kings 17:22 - 23).

Elijah causes fire to come down from heaven on his altar to God during
his showdown with false prophets on Mount Carmel (
1 Kings 18:30 - 38).

Elijah ends the drought he started by causing it to rain in Israel (1 Kings 18:41 - 45).

He miraculously calls fire down from heaven on two sets of 51 men (2 Kings 1:9 - 10, 11 - 12).

Elijah causes the river Jordan to part and allow both him and Elisha to cross it (2 Kings 2:8).

When Elijah dies, God granted Elisha's request to receive a double portion of Elijah's spirit.

Jordan is parted when Elisha strikes water with Elijah's mantle (2 Kings 2:14).

Jericho's waters healed (2 Kings 2:19 - 22).

Young men who taunt Elisha attacked by two female bears (2 Kings 2:24).

Water provided for King Jehoshaphat and allies (2 Kings 3:16 - 20).

Widow's supply of oil increased in order to sell and get out of debt (2 Kings 4:1 - 7).

Elisha resurrects a Shunammite woman's son (2 Kings 4:18 - 37).

Poisonous stew rendered harmless (2 Kings 4:38 - 41).

Twenty barley loafs and ears of corn feed 100 people (2 Kings 4:42 - 44).

Naaman, captain of Syria's army, cured of leprosy (2 Kings 5:1 - 19).

Gehazi, Elisha's servant, is given leprosy for being greedy (2 Kings 5:26 - 27).

Ax head is made to float on water 2 Kings (6:6).

Elisha's servant made to see invisible army of God (2 Kings 6:15 - 17).

Army of Syrian king struck with blindness then healed (2 Kings 6:18).

Army of Syrian king healed (2 Kings 6:20).

Foretold Samaria's famine would end (2 Kings 7:6 - 7).

A dead body is miraculously brought back to life when it accidently touches the prophet's bones (2 Kings 13:21).
Isaiah's sole miracle was causing the shadow of a clock to go backwards 10 degrees.
He did this to prove to King Hezekiah that he would be healed by God (2 Kings 20:8 - 11).

Here (<= link) are some miracles the apostles performed in the book of Acts.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Now you're just moving the goal posts. First you said who actually did any. Then you changed it to any while Jesus was here. Then you started talking about healing thousands.

Which question are you asking?
Yes I have rather confused matters.
I think what I am trying to find out is Jesus came to heal, did anyone else? There were plenty of enemies of Christ when He was here on earth and since, but do they ever heal anyone? Do the critics and unbelievers ever heal the sick?
I suppose that confuses things even more!

Feb 22, 2024
Yes. In the Book of Acts there are miracles recorded, this is right, but in the gospels, Jesus, was the emphasis. I believe it was given by the Holy Spirit specifically that way.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Reading Mark ch 3, Verses 1 to 6 about Jesus healing a man's hand on the Sabbath, it occurred to me that it seems only Christ did any actual healing and on a grand scale too.
The Pharisees didn't.
So in those times who actually did any? There were a lot of possessed, blind, sick, leprous folks around. I do not know if John the Baptist had a healing gift, or if the disciples did?
Jesus definitely did not just heal the soul, he healed serious diseases. He freed people to live again, to function and be free of pain. How brilliant is that? The ones who hated Him didn't do anything of any use really, except posture.

It's worth thinking about those today who choose not to believe in Jesus. He came and did good. Who else does that?
Jesus is the top doctor of all. "Jesus does the healing the earth doctor gets the money"! (a joke). humans are only agents in this world while Jesus heals people thru us.