Who do you think wrote Hebrews???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CIR22

Timothy wrote it according to the King James translators note on my Authorized King James Bible.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
learned something I did not know before. Thankyou all, God bless, pickles

T

twinkie28

Historically, it was always thought that Luke wrote Hebrews.

D

Derek

Timothy wrote it according to the King James translators note on my Authorized King James Bible.
Hmmm...you might want to look into that translator note. In Hebrews chapter 13 verse 23 it says, "Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly." That shows that it wasn't Timothy but whoever did write Hebrews was close to him and apparently was waiting for Timothy after he had been captured or imprisoned. Does anyone have any historical facts on Timothy being imprisoned?

B

Baptistrw

Not only possible but more than probable ''see above''
You're argument contradicts what Paul himself wrote, 17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write. 2 Thess 3:17 (KJV)

or the way the message paraphrase puts it,

17 I, Paul, bid you good-bye in my own handwriting. I do this in all my letters, so examine my signature as proof that the letter is genuine.​
2 Thess 3:17 (MSG)

Jan 8, 2009
If you don't know the author of Hebrews how can do you know it's credible /authentic?

C

Cup-of-Ruin

If you don't know the author of Hebrews how can do you know it's credible /authentic?
The pen is anonymous, however the book of Hebrews like all holy scripture is given by the holy Spirit, men moved and inspired by God. It is God who wrote the Bible, then certain prophets are accredited with the writing down of the words from God, so God is the author, if the writing accreditation is 'anon' then that is how God wants it, He is the author.

'Snail I question your true belief in Scripture, from my discussion with you I would consider you to be confused as to whether you believe in the divine inspiration of the Bible, it appears to me that you are contradictory in your views and you often present as being a secular critic.

Jan 8, 2009
If it's anonymous how do you know it is given by the Holy Spirit by a person moved and inspired by God? Do we even know it was written by someone important in the early church? Or was it a person of the laity. I present these questions not out of any personal doubt of my own, but to see how people respond to typical questions that people may ask. Let's see people try and stumble their way around these very good questions :). One of the hindrences in evangelism is a) Christians not knowing who wrote certain books of the bible, b) not being able to adequately explain just how they know certain books of the bible of which authorship is uncertain, is truly inspired by God and can be called "scripture". We cannot present the scripture as "fact" unless we can support its factual claims with evidence. Otherwise this matter of who wrote Hebrews and is it inspired, becomes a matter of faith, not fact. Now others have questioned videos of people being healed, asking for scientists or doctors to confirm the healings. Yet we are all too willing to accept books of the bible with uncertain authorship aren't we? Now why is that? Because your pastor told you, or your daddy or mommy, or you just think it is yourself?

Last edited:
C

Cup-of-Ruin

If it's anonymous how do you know it is given by the Holy Spirit by a person moved and inspired by God? Do we even know it was written by someone important in the early church? Or was it a person of the laity. I present these questions not out of any personal doubt of my own, but to see how people respond to typical questions that people may ask. Let's see people try and stumble their way around these very good questions :). One of the hindrences in evangelism is a) Christians not knowing who wrote certain books of the bible, b) not being able to adequately explain just how they know certain books of the bible of which authorship is uncertain, is truly inspired by God and can be called "scripture". We cannot present the scripture as "fact" unless we can support its factual claims with evidence. Otherwise this matter of who wrote Hebrews and is it inspired, becomes a matter of faith, not fact. Now others have questioned videos of people being healed, asking for scientists or doctors to confirm the healings. Yet we are all too willing to accept books of the bible with uncertain authorship aren't we? Now why is that? Because your pastor told you, or your daddy or mommy, or you just think it is yourself?
There is an entire historical lineage of the 'Book of Hebrews' that testifies its authenticity, but what's more important is that one who is guided by the Spirit knows that the book is part of inspired scripture, God speaks through His word, His sheep hear Him, they know His words.

D

doubleedge

More important than who wrote the book of hebrews, is why it was written in the first place!!! It is the doctrine of "Christ Crucified" (1 Corinthians 1:23)!!!

D

Derek

I understand what you mean by the lack of authorship being a cause for authentic questioning. Have you ever heard of the "canon of scripture"? Its a way that was used to determine if a book was really inspired by God, sort of like a screening process. It might help explain why Hebrews is considered inspired by God without an author. If you google "canon of scripture" or check wikipedia, you'll get tons of research material.

Status
Not open for further replies.