Who is Babylon in Revelation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
Your interpretation of Babylon failed according to the two verses below.

Revelation 17:18
The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth.

Revelation 18:3
For all the nations have fallen because of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have committed acts of sexual immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich from the excessive wealth of her luxury.

You forgot to mention the second beast, the false prophet.

Revelation 11:8
And their dead bodies will lie on the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt.

The two witnesses are killed during the second woe and that is not the day of the Lord.

Babylon is not Sodom and Egypt.

So you believe the two witnesses in Jerusalem do not have power over the kings of the earth for 1260 days.

Doesn't that contradict the word of God ?

The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth.

I felt for sure this is why those kings hate the prostitute and attack her killing those two witnesses.

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
These are the "flaming swords" of the Garden of Eden, in Babylon, Iraq.

It seems Saddam banished the western world from their land. Still to, this day... we are at war in Iraq and Syria, due to the caliphate. We will not get their oil. It's obvious what we want. Daddy Bush said yes to slant drilling. Go ahead and look up April Gaspie's (ambassador to Iraq) said before the commencement of Desert Storm... she told Saddam to "do what you have to do." So He kicked out Kuwait from their oil fields. NO WMD! However, we will NOT get their oil. That was never promised through the lineage of Jacob (meaning israel).
The city of Babylon has already been judged:
[Jer 50:13 KJV] 13 Because of the wrath of the LORD it shall not be inhabited, but it shall be wholly desolate: every one that goeth by Babylon shall be astonished, and hiss at all her plagues.
Take a peek of Babylon today:
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/the-ruins-of-the-ancient-city-of-babylon

But

Babylon the Great is the topic of discussion.

[Rev 17:5 KJV] 5 And upon her forehead [was] a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

[Rev 18:2 KJV] 2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

Give us a chance, we are all Christians here and there is enough love to go around.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018

For all the nations have fallen because of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have committed acts of sexual immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich from the excessive wealth of her luxury.

And their dead bodies will lie on the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt.

The two witnesses are killed during the second woe and that is not the day of the Lord.

So what city do you believe reigns over the two witnesses for 1260 days if Jerusalem is not reigning at that time?

Revelation 11
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018

PS
And yes,the day of the Lord is the same day the cloud ascends into heaven from Jerusalem and the great earthquake in Jerusalem takes place.The same day the two witnesses are resurected .Resurection day.The beast that ascends from the abyss and the ten horns which attack Babylon are in Jerusalem on that day.

birdie

Sep 16, 2014
The most common answer given is Rome, some have said America, some have said Jerusalem, some even Mecca. What do you believe it is and why?

I am leaning towards Rome as well, just because the purple and scarlet matches perfectly, the cup of abominations, it all fits Romanism so well, but there are some issues with a futuristic interpretation that I have run across, which is verses like these:

"And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men."

The papists of today are not selling slaves or horses or fine flour, neither is any city or country on the earth selling slaves, as in the ancient world.
But even the preterist view has its problems, if you say this mystery babylon has already been destroyed, why hasnt Jesus returned as it is supposed to happen at His return?

What do you personally believe? All are invited to chime in, whether you think this is future, present or past.
Thanks for your question. Rev 18 calls Babylon that great city. This is the title of the holy Jerusalem as well in Rev 21. Some persons have probably already noticed this. But did you also know it is the title of Ninevah.

The reason people have trouble with chapters like Rev 18 is that they read the Bible as a surface text, when God tells us to read it as a parable to be interpreted (Psalm 78:1-2, Mark 4:34). For instance, you are looking for a country that physically sold horses or fine flour and the like. But these are parable words. The Bible tells us that God has made Jerusalem his horse. And wheat that is crushed into flour is a picture of Christ on the cross. And what about sheep? You must know that parable word. Christians are Jesus' sheep. And so forth.

Let's start by looking at Ninevah. We could think of Ninevah as a city that used to exist on a map where the whole population of the city, a long time ago, repented. But in my opinion that is not the way to look at it. Ninevah is a picture, instead, of everyone who hears the message of God to repent, and who sincerely turn to God. In short, Ninevah is a picture of everyone who is saved. Notice that they are called a city, that great city. Well, that's what believers are called. They are called Jerusalem (the great city incidentally - see Rev 21). Remember Jonah is more than a man who lived a long time ago. Jonah is a picure of Christ. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish, Jesus was ...

Now Galatians Chapter 4 tells us that there are two Jerusalems. One is in bondage and the other is free. This can help us in looking at Babylon. True believers are told in Rev 18 to come out of Babylon. True believers are the Jerusalem that is free. Since Babylon is the great city, and yet it is not a part of those who come out, it must be the other Jerusalem. The Jerusalem that is in bondage. This is not talking about place on a map any more than Ninevah was. It is the parable picture that the scripture is referring to, not this or that city on a map.

Some of you have mentioned religious persons who are not in Christ. That is a little bit more like the idea of Babylon. It is a comfort to know that despite Babylon being what it is, there are still true believers during this time. Come out of her my people. My people means any true believer.

Mar 14, 2020
The most common answer given is Rome, some have said America, some have said Jerusalem, some even Mecca. What do you believe it is and why?

I am leaning towards Rome as well, just because the purple and scarlet matches perfectly, the cup of abominations, it all fits Romanism so well, but there are some issues with a futuristic interpretation that I have run across, which is verses like these:

"And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men."

The papists of today are not selling slaves or horses or fine flour, neither is any city or country on the earth selling slaves, as in the ancient world.
But even the preterist view has its problems, if you say this mystery babylon has already been destroyed, why hasnt Jesus returned as it is supposed to happen at His return?

What do you personally believe? All are invited to chime in, whether you think this is future, present or past.
I personally think it's the church.

What does the name Babylon mean in the Hebrew language? ((Babel and Babylon are one and the same))
One might say confusion _

In all honesty Christian churches suffer from confusion. They have different theology for some scriptures and so many denominations that it makes you wonder what is going on. The Christian churches are not on one Accord....... And when you read some of the things Paul said most never were, just as time passes the further apart they become.

God referred to his chosen people as whores / prostitutes, whoring after other gods and walking in their own desires ...... Much of the church is doing just that.

Bible says Babylon will lead people astray....... Much of the church no longer holds to all the standards of the Gospel and are leading their flock in wayward directions.

The Bible says she is the great City that rules over the kings of the Earth ......... the Pope of Rome has clout at times it seems above or equal to many controlling governments -

The Bible says she is the mother of harlots ......... all the churches of today are descendants from the Roman Catholic Church.

The Bible says the Beast hates the woman / harlot and will bring her to ruin ........ Jesus said the world will hate you because it hated me first _ Who does the devil hate _ the church.......... There is a falling away in the churches and the influence of The works of the devil has been working inside of and against the church since it's beginning. Scripture says the righteous scarcely be saved 1 Peter 4: 18-19

Most people will say that it is the nation of Rome, some will say Turkey, Russia, United States, or Israel. I have tried throughout the years to view it as one of those places and I just see it as being the church and not only the Roman Church, but the churches around the world ***the system of the church.***

Right or wrong we definitely need to pay attention to the signs of the times we're living in.

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
"In the early days, pagan influences affected the formation of the Catholic Church. These influences led to practices that lead away from Jesus’ teachings to a worldly church appealing to the pagan populations. While there is a genuine spiritual Church devoted to God’s will, there are also misleading substitutes that can lead people astray. This is why there’s a call to ‘come out of Babylon.’ Identifying Babylon’s identity and understanding the final-day Church (referred to as Laodicea) is necessary.
Regarding the Catholic Church, there’s a debate about interpreting Matthew 16:18. In this verse, Jesus appoints Peter as a leader among the apostles and the visible head of the Church. The name ‘Peter’ (Greek: Πέτρος, Petros) means ‘rock’ or ‘stone.’ Jesus says, ‘You are Peter (Petros), and upon this rock (petra) I will build my church.’ The distinction between ‘Petros’ (Peter) and ‘petra’ (rock) matters. While ‘Petros’ refers to a small stone or pebble, ‘petra’ signifies a massive rock or bedrock.
The Catholic interpretation emphasizes Peter’s foundational role, considering him not merely a small stone but a significant rock upon which the Church would be built. According to this view, Peter’s authority is passed down through apostolic succession to subsequent popes, making the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) the spiritual leader of the Church.
it’s a good idea to recognize that Jesus is referred to as the cornerstone—the foundation of the communion called the Church or the ‘body of Christ.’ Jesus is the reference point, the ‘setting stone,’ around which everything is built. Membership in this communion brings union with Him, and through that, we become sons and daughters of God.

It is a good idea to understand error but study truth. Satan is not going to lead anyone to pure worship of Jesus, however the false church identified as Babylon the Great is a convenient holding place to keep people from coming to Jesus for redemption.

[Luk 6:46-49 KJV] 46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? 47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. 49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

[Mat 16:18 KJV] 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Cornerstone

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
I personally think it's the church.

What does the name Babylon mean in the Hebrew language? ((Babel and Babylon are one and the same))
One might say confusion _

In all honesty Christian churches suffer from confusion. They have different theology for some scriptures and so many denominations that it makes you wonder what is going on. The Christian churches are not on one Accord....... And when you read some of the things Paul said most never were, just as time passes the further apart they become.

God referred to his chosen people as whores / prostitutes, whoring after other gods and walking in their own desires ...... Much of the church is doing just that.

Bible says Babylon will lead people astray....... Much of the church no longer holds to all the standards of the Gospel and are leading their flock in wayward directions.

The Bible says she is the great City that rules over the kings of the Earth ......... the Pope of Rome has clout at times it seems above or equal to many controlling governments -

The Bible says she is the mother of harlots ......... all the churches of today are descendants from the Roman Catholic Church.

The Bible says the Beast hates the woman / harlot and will bring her to ruin ........ Jesus said the world will hate you because it hated me first _ Who does the devil hate _ the church.......... There is a falling away in the churches and the influence of The works of the devil has been working inside of and against the church since it's beginning. Scripture says the righteous scarcely be saved 1 Peter 4: 18-19

Most people will say that it is the nation of Rome, some will say Turkey, Russia, United States, or Israel. I have tried throughout the years to view it as one of those places and I just see it as being the church and not only the Roman Church, but the churches around the world ***the system of the church.***

Right or wrong we definitely need to pay attention to the signs of the times we're living in.
God referd to a city as a prostitute.

Isaiah 1:21
See how the faithful city has become a prostitute! She once was full of justice; righteousness used to dwell in her— but now murderers!

Read the rest of the chapter and tell me is this city a prostitute today or a faithful city.
What is this city today?

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
Who is Babylon in Revelation 17 & 18

This is two hours long but it does a great job of going through all the criteria and showing that only the US can be Mystery, The Great Babylon.

Rev 17 & 18 (10 King New World Order)