(This is the first blog in a series about what it means to be Jewish.)
Who is Jewish? It seems like a simple question, doesn't it? But it's not! There is more than one basis for being called Jewish.
1. The first basis is ETHNICITY. People who have Jewish parents are referred to as Jewish. Regardless of their religious beliefs or practices, this group of people are still considered Jewish because they are ethnic Jews.
2. The second basis is RELIGION. Ethnic Jews who practice the religion known as Judaism are called Jewish. However, any person who can convert to Judaism and will then be referred to as a Jew.
In Genesis 12:2, the Lord said to Abraham, "I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing."
Today, it's easy for us to see that God fulfilled His promise to Abraham! Abraham's descendants can be found anywhere in the world including the great nation of Israel. God always keeps His promises because He is faithful.
*I pray you would trust Him to keep His promises to you today.