Who is right?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Stargazing_Pilgrim

Ecclesiastes 10:8 KJV reads "shall" NIV reads "may"
"Shall" and "may" ain't the same thing. Delete one ffrom the Bible???? No, don't, just explain.

C

CanadaNZ

"Shall" and "may" ain't the same thing. Delete one ffrom the Bible???? No, don't, just explain.
I am not a hebrew scholar so can't say for sure, but from what I can understand this section is talking about doing something foolish. Like when we did a hole with our tongue, either by lying or twisting the truth we may get away with it for a time but in the end it is likely to catch up with us.

N

nath1234

i would advise you look it up in the "blue letter bible" its on line and there is the hebrew translation as well

Oct 22, 2011
Check out this site which may help give you a better understanding as to why the variation in scripture.
Altered Verses

In Christ, 1Christianwarrior316

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
john 8;32 notice the "reaction",,,,we have our father Abraham,,,,"they are of the blood line of abraham",,,,"we have never been in bondage",,,,,,,,,,(they were not taken into Egypt,Assyria or Babylon),,,,,,,,"which bloodline????",,,of Abraham??????,,,notice Christ does not argue the point,,,,,,"?",,,,,who did they say they were????????????????"Herods bloodline,,,,,,look close,,,,,,,,,,,

musiclover123

Sep 6, 2009
Looking at the KJV Bible, we can see that it uses many archaic words, meaning words that aren't as often used in today's society. At times, it's not even the word that is archaic, but the meaning.
The archaic meaning of the word 'shall' can mean two things: will have too (must), and will be able too (can). The second meaning of this word would easily translate into 'may' instead.
In the Hebrew, the word translated in this instance 'yippol', which has 38 occurrences in the Bible. From my understanding, this word is a future tense word, coming from the root 'naphal' meaning to fall. There is not an exact word that 'shall' or 'may' is translated from, but they were implied.

A

AnandaHya

8 He who digs a pit will fall into it,
And whoever breaks through a wall will be bitten by a serpent.
9 He who quarries stones may be hurt by them,
And he who splits wood may be endangered by it.
10 If the ax is dull,
And one does not sharpen the edge,
Then he must use more strength;
But wisdom brings success.

A

AnandaHya

Looking at the KJV Bible, we can see that it uses many archaic words, meaning words that aren't as often used in today's society. At times, it's not even the word that is archaic, but the meaning.
The archaic meaning of the word 'shall' can mean two things: will have too (must), and will be able too (can). The second meaning of this word would easily translate into 'may' instead.
In the Hebrew, the word translated in this instance 'yippol', which has 38 occurrences in the Bible. From my understanding, this word is a future tense word, coming from the root 'naphal' meaning to fall. There is not an exact word that 'shall' or 'may' is translated from, but they were implied.
Interesting. I really need to study Hebrew. so in other words its

"yippol" or "fall" in the future tense

however since English deosn't really have a future tense we use the words "will" "shall" and "may" to indicate that the verb tense is in the future.

therefore the meaning that should be conveyed is that if you do this present action, you will have these future consequences.