Who is the Holy Spirit and how do we discern him?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CrimsonFlames

He is the lover of our souls ., AMEN

N

NoahsMom

He is the lover of our souls ., AMEN AMEN!

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I listen. Just that, listen. I clear my mind of all doubts and fears, of all worries and cares, and in love and earnest seeking; I listen.

And what do I hear? I hear the Word, which was before the written word, but which is now the Word alive, as He makes me to see the truth in a way that is impossible without Him. And I hear and know His love, and His intimate caring for me alone, knowing that this in no way diminishes the love and care He has for any other child of His. And I hear the voice of Jesus, as He teaches me His way, His truth, His life.

And I find that I grow in one thing above all other things; life, the resurrection life of Jesus.

"Be still before Me and know that I am Lord."

H

Hearer

I listen. Just that, listen. I clear my mind of all doubts and fears, of all worries and cares, and in love and earnest seeking; I listen.

And what do I hear? I hear the Word, which was before the written word, but which is now the Word alive, as He makes me to see the truth in a way that is impossible without Him. And I hear and know His love, and His intimate caring for me alone, knowing that this in no way diminishes the love and care He has for any other child of His. And I hear the voice of Jesus, as He teaches me His way, His truth, His life.

And I find that I grow in one thing above all other things; life, the resurrection life of Jesus.

"Be still before Me and know that I am Lord."
Thanks VW. You surely have a gift. Are there others who hear so clearly? Are such prophetic words heard only for the sake of making an individual feel loved? How should what we hear be tested and shared with the church?

I

IQ

The way I personally experience this is as follows:
I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to act in me, on me and through me so that I can better understand and hopefully take action on what I am going to study. Then I go to a selected reading (I have an NIV study Bible) and I proceed to study it for as much as I can get out of it. I may go on-line and look for a sermon on the topic. I put it on a 3X5 and stick it in my pocket. I refer to it throughout the day and try to find as many applications as possible. I attempt to memorize it if I can. It isn't always apparent every time but I often get a pretty good clarity. The next day I go to a different scripture and do the same. Over time this has proved richly rewarding. In retrospect I see the Holy Spirit in action, both in my actions and on my heart and attitudes. For me it is a process, rather than an event.

H

Hearer

The way I personally experience this is as follows:
I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to act in me, on me and through me so that I can better understand and hopefully take action on what I am going to study. Then I go to a selected reading (I have an NIV study Bible) and I proceed to study it for as much as I can get out of it. I may go on-line and look for a sermon on the topic. I put it on a 3X5 and stick it in my pocket. I refer to it throughout the day and try to find as many applications as possible. I attempt to memorize it if I can. It isn't always apparent every time but I often get a pretty good clarity. The next day I go to a different scripture and do the same. Over time this has proved richly rewarding. In retrospect I see the Holy Spirit in action, both in my actions and on my heart and attitudes. For me it is a process, rather than an event.
Thanks IQ that gives me a pretty good idea of how you work.

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks VW. You surely have a gift. Are there others who hear so clearly? Are such prophetic words heard only for the sake of making an individual feel loved? How should what we hear be tested and shared with the church?
1.) yes

2.)No, not always, but certainly at times they are to make the one hearing know His love for them. But the Spirit always speaks for the building up of the body, but the building up is always in Jesus Christ. And this is the key to understanding the Holy Spirit, that He is forming Jesus Christ in us. We are being conformed to Him.

3.)The testing is shown in the answer 2 above. Is what is being heard exclusively having the goal of the growth of the one hearing and the ones that it is shared with becoming conformed to Jesus, His death and burial and resurrection? As to sharing, I find that this is the most difficult of all, because many will not hear Him. Why? Because the first part of being conformed to Jesus is His cross.

The gift is for each and every child of God, every single one who has received the Spirit.

In Christ,

H

Hearer

1.) yes

2.)No, not always, but certainly at times they are to make the one hearing know His love for them. But the Spirit always speaks for the building up of the body, but the building up is always in Jesus Christ. And this is the key to understanding the Holy Spirit, that He is forming Jesus Christ in us. We are being conformed to Him.

3.)The testing is shown in the answer 2 above. Is what is being heard exclusively having the goal of the growth of the one hearing and the ones that it is shared with becoming conformed to Jesus, His death and burial and resurrection? As to sharing, I find that this is the most difficult of all, because many will not hear Him. Why? Because the first part of being conformed to Jesus is His cross.

The gift is for each and every child of God, every single one who has received the Spirit.

In Christ,
Thanks VW for clarifying your points amde in your earlier post.

Jul 3, 2011
The Holy Spirit is God and those that are His know His voice

A

AnandaHya

Luke 11
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread[d] from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

James 4
1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet[a] you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and] adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

B

Broern

The Holy Spirit was sent by the Father through Jesus Christ to reside in the spirit of man. This is part of the New Covenant of God to save man.From the spirit of man, the Holy Spirit communicates through man's soul and receive by the brain (just like coming from the ears) through its neurons.

The BIG problem is when the Holy Spirit is grieved or quenched. Any prayer, supplication, or intercession will not reach the Father when the Holy Spirit is grieved or quenched. All of our communication with the Father is through the Holy Spirit during this dispensation. Be Holy because God is Holy as well as the Holy Spirit is Holy. Disobedience to any God's word grieved or quenched the Holy Spirit.Therefore the communication with God is cut or nothing will be heard from the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2009
The Holy Spiritis is our spiritual counsellor and we should listen to him and discern him in our conscience (what feels morally to be of God).

Do we ask for spiritual direction from him enough times before we argue with others and cause strife or disagree with others?

Or does the Holy Spirit claim we should be like soldiers, fighting with those christians whom we disagree with?

How do you discen the truth in these matters?

He's my best friend. I ask him to protect me before I ever come in here. He wants people to know the truth. He doesn't have a problem with emotions like people do. He's not mad at everyone all the time. He understands when people are in false teachings. He sends people millions of times to tell them to come out of the lies. But he can't force anyone.
Some of us have been here awhile and have seen the same questions over and over and over. Have seen false church people come in over and over trying to cause a ruckus.
Some people do get mad. Some people write answers and readers assume the writer is mad when they are not.
Are all the true Christians just supposed to back down every time a false teacher comes in here? We can turn the other cheek over and over but who will speak the truth till Jesus comes?

H

Hearer

He's my best friend. I ask him to protect me before I ever come in here. He wants people to know the truth. He doesn't have a problem with emotions like people do. He's not mad at everyone all the time. He understands when people are in false teachings. He sends people millions of times to tell them to come out of the lies. But he can't force anyone.
Some of us have been here awhile and have seen the same questions over and over and over. Have seen false church people come in over and over trying to cause a ruckus.
Some people do get mad. Some people write answers and readers assume the writer is mad when they are not.
Are all the true Christians just supposed to back down every time a false teacher comes in here? We can turn the other cheek over and over but who will speak the truth till Jesus comes?
in every social context (especially each organization) there are people who are gatekeepers who try to define the terms of admission. They are more interested in gatekeeping than the actual truth. Otherwise they would carefully consider each response to their attempts.

A

AnandaHya

Or does the Holy Spirit claim we should be like soldiers, fighting with those christians whom we disagree with?
?
i was reading this scripture verse to day and wanted to share it with you. you've probably already read it but maybe someone who needs it will come across it :)

2 Timothy 2

Be Strong in Grace

1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 You therefore must endure[a] hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

14 Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ[c] depart from iniquity.”

:) may all the children of God abide in His love and Truth :)

May 21, 2009
in every social context (especially each organization) there are people who are gatekeepers who try to define the terms of admission. They are more interested in gatekeeping than the actual truth. Otherwise they would carefully consider each response to their attempts.

I would pray all people repent. There's lots that come here who say no one ever needs to repent.
Isn't there always going to be gate smashers. People who will always want to do as think they should. In the bible Jesus called them snakes. Jesus talked a lot of stuff in the bible. He walked right up to people and called them hypocrites. Jesus wasn't wishy washy.

H

Hearer

i was reading this scripture verse to day and wanted to share it with you. you've probably already read it but maybe someone who needs it will come across it :)

2 Timothy 2

Be Strong in Grace

1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 You therefore must endure[a] hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

14 Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ[c] depart from iniquity.”

:) may all the children of God abide in His love and Truth :)
I will add to your rep for this post:) We are all indeed soldiers of Christ Jesus and have left the world and its controversies. Some though want to destroy people's faith through their own take on truth when they have only opinions which are not backed up by long study and hard work.

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

N

NoahsMom

God bless You Hearer.

H

Hearer

I would pray all people repent. There's lots that come here who say no one ever needs to repent.
Isn't there always going to be gate smashers. People who will always want to do as think they should. In the bible Jesus called them snakes. Jesus talked a lot of stuff in the bible. He walked right up to people and called them hypocrites. Jesus wasn't wishy washy.
not being wishy washy is a truth. But argument takes planning and prayer and the showing of the fruits of the spirit. Jesus did good works, which is why he asked the hypocrits for what good work are they condemning him. They said to him it was because he called himself equal to God.

(John 10)
32 but Jesus said to them, I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me? 33 We are not stoning you for any of these, replied the Jews, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.