Who will you receive? Jesus or the Holy Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
The subject speaks for itself, who will you receive, Jesus or the Holy Spirit?

We who are SAVED by GRACE, permanently receive the indwelling of the the Holy Spirit, Who first and foremost brings our once dead human spirit to eternal life. BUT everyone who has that born again human spirit will RECEIVE JESUS CHRIST AS LORD which means MASTER. That means we choose to surrender control of our lives to Jesus Christ as LORD, in other words we GET DOWN off the THRONE in our hearts and GIVE THAT THRONE TO CHRIST.

John 1:12-13 (NASB)
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Colossians 2:6 (NIV)
6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him,

So, no your question was not clear, because depending on how you are using the word RECEIVE, the answer can be BOTH the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ.

Acts 19:2 (ESV)
[SUP]2 [/SUP] And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

Acts 8:15 (HCSB)
[SUP]15 [/SUP] After they went down there, they prayed for them, so the Samaritans might receive the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:16 (NIV)
[SUP]16 [/SUP] "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
We who are SAVED by GRACE, permanently receive the indwelling of the the Holy Spirit, Who first and foremost brings our once dead human spirit to eternal life. BUT everyone who has that born again human spirit will RECEIVE JESUS CHRIST AS LORD which means MASTER. That means we choose to surrender control of our lives to Jesus Christ as LORD, in other words we GET DOWN off the THRONE in our hearts and GIVE THAT THRONE TO CHRIST.

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him,

So, no your question was not clear, because depending on how you are using the word RECEIVE, the answer can be BOTH the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ.

[SUP]2 [/SUP] And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

[SUP]15 [/SUP] After they went down there, they prayed for them, so the Samaritans might receive the Holy Spirit.

[SUP]16 [/SUP] "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

John 17:20-24 (NIV)
[SUP]20 [/SUP] "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in Me through their message,
[SUP]21 [/SUP] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
[SUP]22 [/SUP] I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
[SUP]23 [/SUP] I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
[SUP]24 [/SUP] "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

T

timberdoodle

John 17:20-24 (NIV)
[SUP]20 [/SUP] "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in Me through their message,
[SUP]21 [/SUP] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
[SUP]22 [/SUP] I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
[SUP]23 [/SUP] I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
[SUP]24 [/SUP] "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
Amen.

By the way, "thanks for suggesting this forum".

Timber

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Amen.

By the way, "thanks for suggesting this forum".

Timber

I thought it would be too peaceful here to be interesting without those that deny the Holy Trinity is Doctrinal TRUTH. But so far it has been a fairly lively debate. Enough to keep interesting, anyhow.

I have to get a hold of Tech Support tomorrow for my WORDsearch 10, as with this Window open and Wordsearch 10, it has been having low memory errors lately. I had to buy a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one was blue screening a lot lately, but it was 8.5 years old and is not worth fixing. This one has Windows 7, whereas my old one had XP Pro. I was able to run WORDsearch 7 with 9 Bibles open and never got a low memory error while posting online. Now with this one I had to back it off to 5 bibles open, to eliminate the low memory errors. My guess is the WORDsearch 10 program itself is using more memory. I have 8GB of SDRAM in this, so I know that is not the problem.

T

timberdoodle

I thought it would be too peaceful here to be interesting without those that deny the Holy Trinity is Doctrinal TRUTH. But so far it has been a fairly lively debate. Enough to keep interesting, anyhow.

I have to get a hold of Tech Support tomorrow for my WORDsearch 10, as with this Window open and Wordsearch 10, it has been having low memory errors lately. I had to buy a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one was blue screening a lot lately, but it was 8.5 years old and is not worth fixing. This one has Windows 7, whereas my old one had XP Pro. I was able to run WORDsearch 7 with 9 Bibles open and never got a low memory error while posting online. Now with this one I had to back it off to 5 bibles open, to eliminate the low memory errors. My guess is the WORDsearch 10 program itself is using more memory. I have 8GB of SDRAM in this, so I know that is not the problem.
I have 2 machines in my office. One has windows 8 and the other is Ubuntu. I like the Ubuntu much better and is much more stable but is a pain to set up. My son is a software engineer at logos and wants me to try his software out but I like the old books.

Blessings

Timber

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013

A response to this verse can be found in post #30

6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him

The question pertain to the Method by which a non believer are introduced to Christ:
They preached...show that he/she is a sinner and pray the prayer of Receiving Christ...

Did they ever asked "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you BELIEVED?

SEE The Difference: THEY asked DID you received when you BELIEVED....not when you RECEIVED?
IT IS by BELIEVING that HE IS LORD...that you received.

So you believe Jesus Christ...and you receive the Holy Ghost.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
A response to this verse can be found in post #30

The question pertain to the Method by which a non believer are introduced to Christ:
They preached...show that he/she is a sinner and pray the prayer of Receiving Christ...

Did they ever asked "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you BELIEVED?

SEE The Difference: THEY asked DID you received when you BELIEVED....not when you RECEIVED?
IT IS by BELIEVING that HE IS LORD...that you received.

So you believe Jesus Christ...and you receive the Holy Ghost.
t t t
Okay, try to side-step and dance around this TRUTH:

Romans 10:9-10 (NASB)
[SUP]9 [/SUP] that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
[SUP]10 [/SUP] for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

It is NOT a confession, unless it is ABSOLUTELY TRUE about yourself first. To say Jesus is my Lord, when YOU HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY WILLINGLY FROM THE HEART RECEIVED (SURRENDERED TO) HIM AS LORD, yeilding to HIM as MASTER; THEN your so-called confession is a LIE and only amounts to a PROFESSION and not a CONFESSION.

John 14:15 (NASB)
[SUP]15 [/SUP] "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

1 John 2:4-5 (NASB)
[SUP]4 [/SUP] The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
[SUP]5 [/SUP] but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:

James 2:26 (NASB)
[SUP]26 [/SUP] For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

James 2:14 (NIV)
[SUP]14 [/SUP] What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

The implied answer is NO, and Jesus confirmed it.

Matthew 7:21-23 (NASB)
[SUP]21 [/SUP] "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
[SUP]22 [/SUP] "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
[SUP]23 [/SUP] "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Knowing HIM AS LORD is Genuine Saving Faith, which is PURELY A GIFT FROM GOD, based solely on HIS GRACE. Salvation then is permanently and eternally linked to receiving or submitting to JESUS CHRIST as LORD, which means MASTER. The Church and any Christian that has told the lost "Just accept Jesus as your Savior and you will be saved"; deliberately leaving out what the BIBLE clearly says about RECEIVING JESUS CHRIST AS LORD, has mislead that person into believing that Professing Jesus as Savior or just intellectually acknowledging who HE is, equals Salvation. EVEN THE DEMONS in the two men in the land of the Gadarenes admitted that much. NO, I do not believe in telling people to JUST receive Jesus as Savior, because I believe that is pushing them through the BROAD GATE, instead of leading them through the NARROW GATE of receiving JESUS AS LORD, explaining to them that the word LORD means submitting to HIM as MASTER. CLEARLY, in Rom. 10:9 it points out that He does NOT become our Saviour until AFTER we have RECEIVED HIM AS LORD. NO that is NOT works Righteousness, it is THE MAIN PART OF the free Gift of GOD, our faith, and genuinely Receiving Jesus Christ as LORD, can only be done by the POWER of the Holy Spirit.

I used to be one of those kind of so-called Christians that took up space on pew occasionally, while acknowledging that Jesus is the Savior. I suspect the Devil himself has even done that a multitude of times, laughing at all of those who are deceived into thinking that makes them a Christian. I did not become a REAL Christian until I was 29 years old, and prior to that I was only taking up space on the pew. After my third attempt at suicide, something in ME BROKE; and this tremendous rush of guilt over my utter sinfulness washed over me. I found myself on my knees weeping, and crying out to HIM, "LORD, FORGIVE ME! If you have a purpose for my life, YOU are going to have to come into it, and run my life. I can't do it, and I am making a total mess of it." NO one ever taught me to pray that prayer of yielding control of my life to Jesus as LORD, but that is the MOMENT that I became a real born again Christian.

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
1Jn 5:7 For there arethree that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: andthese three are one.
1Ti 3:16 And withoutcontroversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh,justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believedon in the world, received up into glory.
Joh 14:26 But theComforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, heshall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance,whatsoever I have said unto you.
Joh 8:42 Jesus saidunto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth andcame from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
Joh 15:26 But whenthe Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even theSpirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

as you can see none of those verses, have a command to receive (who)., this doctrine must be discuss with sincerity. This is part of being properly born again.
I believe that 'being properly born again' is actually so simple a child could do it :):

1 John 3:23-24

23 And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. 24 Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.

• ---> Believe on the One God has sent, Jesus Christ (John 6:28-29, 1 John 3:23-24)

• ---> Receive the gifts of forgiveness, righteousness, New Life, all sealed by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:17-18, Ephesians 1)

• ---> Bear the Fruit the fruit that the Spirit produces through us, Love (Galatians 5:22-23)

• ---> Fulfill the commandment to love one another (Galatians 5:14, 1 John 3:23-24)

This teaching lays it out really well: God’s Solution to Man’s Problem – Life! – Study notes available HERE. (free audio download)

-JGIG

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Who is within us?

1Jn 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

How do we know He dwells within us?

1Jn 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

Does the Spirit tells us He dwells within us?

1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

What about Jesus, does He dwell within us too?

Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Well, praise the Lord!!!! We do get the price of three for the price of one :)

Regarding the OP: What cfultz said! Excellently presented :D!

-JGIG

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
Who will you receive to be born again.
Romans 5:17-18
17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.

We receive God's provision in Christ. Then we're sealed with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1).
John 1:12-13
12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 3:16-17
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Believe in Christ; receive the Provision of the Father; Sealed by the Holy Spirit.

Christ and His Work as God in the flesh is clearly the key to New Life; Eternal Life.

-JGIG