Why are there too many single people in church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

levitewoman

Why is it that a lot of church today have many single people? Is it because that we as single people have a different standard compared to the standard of the world usually offer? Give me your thoughts :)

Justcuz

Banned: 13 forum posts with blatant lies about CC
Jul 6, 2012
.. maybe in your church,
but that doesn't necessarily mean they form a majority in ALL churches.

And what exactly is that 'different standard' you're referring too?
If singles have 'a different standard' from the world by definition,
does that mean 'the world' equals all people in a relationship?

very vague... :confused:

U

Ugly

I got her point, not vague at all. And shes right, Christians do have different standards than the world. The world hops from one shallow relationship to the next, often based more on sex than anything else. Hook up for a few months, break up, hit the clubs or where ever the next night to find your next relationship.
Whereas, on the average, a Christian does not hop around so fast, and will more likely be marriage minded in dating, and therefore pickier. Also some people are not dating at all as they are waiting on God to direct them, as opposed to running out and meeting people all the time.
No that does not mean 'the world equals all people in a relationship'. No where is that implied even, in her comment. Shes simply referring to two different groups having different standards in dating.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I think one part of the problem is that of the people who attend church, there's a bit more women than men. If you don't believe me, just go to a youth rally. The amount of women you'll find compared to men is astonishing.

Secondly, part of the issue is that people are "waiting to hear from God" who their soulmate is. I'm not sure people understand that dating is really an active thing, where you put yourself out there and seek someone instead of just waiting for them to come to you. Because there are many people unwilling to move, relationships aren't happening.

I think third would be the wide-spread fear of rejection. Even people who have never asked anyone out or never have dated know about the fear of rejection through other people, and they don't want to experience it themselves.

Justcuz

Jul 6, 2012
I got her point, not vague at all. And shes right, Christians do have different standards than the world. The world hops from one shallow relationship to the next, often based more on sex than anything else. Hook up for a few months, break up, hit the clubs or where ever the next night to find your next relationship.
Whereas, on the average, a Christian does not hop around so fast, and will more likely be marriage minded in dating, and therefore pickier. Also some people are not dating at all as they are waiting on God to direct them, as opposed to running out and meeting people all the time.
No that does not mean 'the world equals all people in a relationship'. No where is that implied even, in her comment. Shes simply referring to two different groups having different standards in dating.

wow, you read that from just the two lines? :D

W

wwjd_kilden

"too many"? are you saying it is a bad thing? *confused*

The bible says that (granted people can control themselves) it is best to remain single (though I doubt that term existed back then) :)

Justcuz

Jul 6, 2012
Maybe christian people in general (generally speaking) have other MORAL standards than 'the world,' but that doesn't mean they can't get into a relationship. Those moral standards could, in theory, only prevent them from hopping around too fast.

There are not a lot of singels in my church though. It's mostly (young) couples, childeren, youth and not a lot of older people.
And btw, once a year a youth group of our church are guests of our fellow church in another city, or a youth group from that church.
Those exchange weekends are always crazy, and sometimes they make me doubt the high moral standards of christians.

Justcuz

Jul 6, 2012
"too many"? are you saying it is a bad thing? *confused*

The bible says that (granted people can control themselves) it is best to remain single (though I doubt that term existed back then) :)
No, Paul says he himself benefited from staying single himself, but that people in general should by all means get married get married,
to keep them from the sin of fornication.
(1 Cor 7: 1-7)

I think it's also a commandment that we should get married:
A man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
(Genesis 2:24)

It's kind of unnatural that you would want to stay alone too:
The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone...
(Genesis 2: 18)

W

wwjd_kilden

I am not saying one should not marry, but you shouldn't marry just to marry either. I do assume though, that the reason for then not marrying should be to focus on God, not to, uh, roam about.

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.

U

Ugly

Maybe christian people in general (generally speaking) have other MORAL standards than 'the world,' but that doesn't mean they can't get into a relationship. Those moral standards could, in theory, only prevent them from hopping around too fast.
I don't see anyone saying Christians can't get into relationships. Please show me where that was said.
And yes, i got that from two lines.

I could be wrong, but i think her 'too many singles' comment was just poor wording as she is not a native english speaker.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
ive found churches tend to be actually a terrible place to meet women. those relationships have always worked out the worst for me

Justcuz

Jul 6, 2012
I don't see anyone saying Christians can't get into relationships. Please show me where that was said.
And yes, i got that from two lines.

I could be wrong, but i think her 'too many singles' comment was just poor wording as she is not a native english speaker.

Maybe that explains it...