Why are we supposed to be ok with divorce?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

smithbr8

If Jesus states that marriage is to be forever, why are we ok with divorce? We claim "Well, there are certain circumstances when divorce is ok." but isn't that Satan speaking through us?

If marriage really is forever, why are there no exceptions to the rule? For example, if a man cheats on his wife, she finds out, and he decides to tie her up in the basement every night and burn her with a branding iron, slap her across the face, break limbs, why is she not allowed to divorce him? Isn't that a little extreme for God to say "Tough luck, you're stuck with him"?

Yes she should've known what would happen before marrying him, but say he is in an accident and suffers severe brain trauma to the point he becomes violent, then why is it still not ok according to God?

T

Tintin

Yes, Christians sometimes treat divorce too lightly. But the example you've provided is extreme. In that circumstance, divorce would absolutely be recommended.

S

smithbr8

Yes, Christians sometimes treat divorce too lightly. But the example you've provided is extreme. In that circumstance, divorce would absolutely be recommended.
But why? God says no, so why do we deem it ok?

T

Tintin

God is loving in his mercy and judgement but he's not sadistic. There are exceptions to the rule of 'no divorce' and they're mentioned in the Bible. I'm not adding anything to God's Word.

G

Gabriel777

You gotta use common sense as well. If he is a threat to her life...I mean come on...

N

nathan3

If Jesus states that marriage is to be forever, why are we ok with divorce? We claim "Well, there are certain circumstances when divorce is ok." but isn't that Satan speaking through us?

If marriage really is forever, why are there no exceptions to the rule? For example, if a man cheats on his wife, she finds out, and he decides to tie her up in the basement every night and burn her with a branding iron, slap her across the face, break limbs, why is she not allowed to divorce him? Isn't that a little extreme for God to say "Tough luck, you're stuck with him"?

Yes she should've known what would happen before marrying him, but say he is in an accident and suffers severe brain trauma to the point he becomes violent, then why is it still not ok according to God?

Christ never said that marriage was to be forever. Ideally it would be nice. But he says because of the hardness of peoples hearts , We were given the option to divorce . That is what Christ actually said :

Mark: 10:
2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

If people cant get along then they can divorce. Your never forced to stay in a abusive relationship by Bible God's law.. People on the other hand might tell you to stay in that situation. But never will God or Christ teach that.

Christ gave His life to take away our sins as well. Say you were in the wrong. If you divorced and repented in Christ name, your a new person. New even to remarry if you wanted to. A Christian, is not in restrained by sin. Christ sets us free. He takes away sin and makes us like new.

Matthew 5:18

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

M

Meat

if a man cheats on his wife
Jesus spoke about this already, Matthew 19:9, so before it even got to the rest of it she had the opportunity to divorce him. However also before that Jesus spoke that Moses allowed divorce because the Jews had hardness in their heart. Jesus was speaking against people divorcing for the sake of divorcing. The question you have to ask yourself is if someone is in an abusive relationship, where they are likely to be killed, would God force you them stay there? Is that the God we serve a God of laws? Does he find the law of divorce to be more important than raising your children in a safe environment away from an abusive husband/wife?

My friends mother just divorced her husband. Though he hadn't cheated on her for several years he had removed the nuts from the wheels of her cars and the tires flew off while she was driving with two of their children. Do you HONESTLY feel that God ignores the circumstance to enforce marriage pharisee style?

- Matthew 19:9 NIV
I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Christ never said that marriage was to be forever. Ideally it would be nice. But he says because of the hardness of peoples hearts , We were given the option to divorce . That is what Christ actually said :

Mark: 10:
2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
Why stop in verse 8? Read further.
Mark 10:9-12
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
If marriage was not meant to be forever Jesus would not have made that statement. Rather He would have said "What therefore God hath joined together, man can put asunder in the case of adultery, quarrels,...."
10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

This is what the Pharisees were referring to...
Deut 24:1-2
1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. Moses allowed divorce and remarriage.Jesus told the Pharisees that Moses permitted divorce because of the hardness of their hearts. However, He was not advocating Moses' decree but said in vs.12 that divorce and remarriage is adultery.

Let's examine a parallel passage...
Matt 5:31-32
31 It hath been
[past tense] said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: Under the Mosaic law divorce was permissible on any grounds.
32 But I say [present tense] unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. But Jesus made His own decree that under the new covenant divorce and remarriage is adultery and adultery is a sin. Many will see 'fornication' in vs. 32 and conclude that extramarital affair is the grounds for divorce. But hold your horses. Verse 32 says 'fornication' which is premarital sexual relations, so if they are married it is not called fornication but rather adultery and Jesus did not say "saving for the cause of adultery".
Let's examine Matt 1:18-19 to better understand what Jesus meant...
Matt 1:18-19
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.

Jesus was saying that divorce was permitted before the marriage if fornication occurred as in the case of Mary and Joseph. They were engaged but he found her to be pregnant so putting her away would have been justifiable according to the law back then as their marriage was never consummated.

If people cant get along then they can divorce. Your never forced to stay in a abusive relationship by Bible God's law.. People on the other hand might tell you to stay in that situation. But never will God or Christ teach that.

Christ gave His life to take away our sins as well. Say you were in the wrong. If you divorced and repented in Christ name, your a new person. New even to remarry if you wanted to. A Christian, is not in restrained by sin. Christ sets us free. He takes away sin and makes us like new.

Matthew 5:18

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Permission of divorce has infiltrated most of churches that's why divorce is so rampant today. You will hardly find a pastor who preaches against divorce and remarriage today, however should we follow doctrines and opinions of men rather than the word of God, should we follow multitudes to commit sin? There are no biblical grounds for divorce after marriage. It is unfortunate that people are becoming so tolerant to sin these days and lacking the fear of God. "My wife can't cook" = Divorce. "My husband snores in his sleep" = Divorce. "My husband doesn't go to church" = Divorce.
We don't have the liberty to add to or subtract from God's word to suit our own desires. His word is our final authority.

Evidently, couples experience conflicts from time to time, no marriage is perfect, but they should allow love, trust, honesty, forgiveness, tolerance, reconciliation, and Jesus to be the anchor of their marriage. Satan's goal is to dissolve marriages but Jesus taught forgiveness.

In a dangerous situation such as domestic violence, the case should be taken to law enforcement and separation is permissible for the sake of the victim's life but divorce documents should not be signed, and prayer for healing of the marriage should be done.

It is important to obey God's word even though majority are going against it.

T

Tintin

We aren't adding to the Bible.

Also, why are so many people using the KJV? It's not an easy to understand translation.

O

oOfallen_angelOo

Marriage is pretty intense biblically; it is because it is such a sacred bond united by God between two people.

As far as divorce, Jesus mentions unfaithfulness;

Matthew 19: 9

" I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

So if your partner is unfaithful then it is grounds to leave. As far a you example of her being beaten and stuff; since he cheated on her, then she has grounds to leave. As far as those who don't cheat and still abuse, I can't say, but I'll ask about this to a higher power because I'm curious about this aspect too :p

Appears to me though, that what apostle Paul I think ( the one who talked in Corinth,) it is just better not to get married, and if you are to marry, do so with a believer and get ready for the long haul :p

K

Kefa52

Why are we supposed to be ok with divorce?.... For starters I will say it is none of my busisness.

K

Kefa52

The Gospel Prayer
"In Christ, there is nothing I can do that would make You love me more, and nothing I have done that makes You love me less."
"Your presence and approval are all I need for everlasting joy."
"As You have been to me, so I will be to others." "As I pray, I’ll measure Your compassion by the cross and Your power by the resurrection." (JD Greear)

Salvation is a free Gift. You can't earn it or be to bad to receive it.

T

Tintin

Um... Kefa, I think you have the wrong thread.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

There are Biblical reasons for divorce, but I have never seen a Biblical reason for a divorced person to remarry.

T

twofeet

Its interesting how so many will bash the "NO divorce" thing. Anyone read the book of Ezra recently?...and add onto that " if the unbelieving husband/ wife leaves LET THEM GO"..... don't sound like God is SO for marriage in certain cases. He is more interested in light and dark NOT mixing.I think the picture is slighter more bigger than people think

W

wordhelpsme

I believe that ending a marriage is looked at too lightly today by Christians. God’s Word the Bible does not treat divorce casually. It states that God views as treacherous and hateful the frivolous putting away of one’s marriage mate, perhaps with the motive of taking another spouse. Although the following scriptures speak more of men, today more than ever it applies to women also.

Malachi 2:13-16 says: “And this you do with double guilt; you cover the alter of the LORD with tears [shed by you unoffending wives, divorced by you that you might take heathen wives], and with [your own] weeping and crying out because the LORD does not regard your offering any more or accept it with favor at your hand. Yet you ask, “Why does He reject it?” Because the LORD was witness [to the covenant made at your marriage] between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously and to whom you were faithless. Yet she is your companion and the wife of your covenant [made by your marriage vows]. 21 Century KJV

A common filing for divorce is irreconcilable differences. A common cause is for a man or a woman is in the above scripture. Many marriages that have broken up of trivial grounds could have been saved if partners have been more forgiving.

Does God allow for divorce and remarriage?

The Bible does allow for divorce and remarriage on one ground, sexual relations outside the marriage. Matthew 19:9 says: “I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” If you learn that your mate has been unfaithful, you have the right to terminate the marriage. Others should not impose their views on you. We rarely know the whole story of a household.

The Bible states: “…the prudent give thought to their steps.” (Proverbs 14:15) So even if you have Scriptural grounds for divorce, you would do well to give serious thought to what that step will entail.

99caravan

The Bible allows for divorce for numerous reasons. Remember in the old testament when he called ALL his people who had intermarried with pagans to put their wives away... ALL.Ezra chapter 10 and 11... Nehemiah 13, Hosea, and other places. In essence God commanded us to come out from among them and be separate in other places and he will dwell in and among us and we will be His people. in essence, if the person you are with comes between you and Him, then I think he would take that as an act of defiance and treason, so there are grounds for divorce, according to the word of God. I agree when you get married, it should be for life, but sometimes people marry demons that they only find out long after they are married that they actually married a monster, in which case it will often lead to divorce... or death.