why did god create evil?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Y

Yourfriend4life

Why did God create evil?
I need to know please help

K

kenisyes

God did not create evil. He created the ability for us to see Him, and the ability for us to make the choice to turn away. He told us there are some things that will make us turn away, and that if we do, it will make Him sad. Because God created only good, turning away, if we do it, is evil. Evil is the absence of God in a certain situation, and it must be created by someone like us, who can see good, and refuse it.

May 12, 2013
God did not create evil. He created the ability for us to see Him, and the ability for us to make the choice to turn away. He told us there are some things that will make us turn away, and that if we do, it will make Him sad. Because God created only good, turning away, if we do it, is evil. Evil is the absence of God in a certain situation, and it must be created by someone like us, who can see good, and refuse it.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness:
I make peace, and create evil: I the
Lord do all these things.

K

kenisyes

The Hebrew reads: "I make peace, and thus give definition and purpose to evil." Do not be fooled by mistranslations.

J

jerusalem

God created choice.....and WE chose to create evil

May 12, 2013
The Hebrew reads: "I make peace, and thus give definition and purpose to evil." Do not be fooled by mistranslations.
Oh, I did not know that. I wonder what else in
the Bible has been mistranslated?

May 12, 2013
How about these?

Joshua 23:15: Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the Lord your God promised you; so shall the Lord bring upon you all evil things.

Jeremiah 44:2 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Ye have seen all the evil that I have brought upon Jerusalem, and upon all the cities of Judah

Micah 2:3 Therefore thus saith the Lord; Behold, against this family do I devise an evil.

2 Samuel 12:11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house

1 Kings 9:9 ...therefore hath the Lord brought upon them all this evil.

1 Kings 14:10 Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam

2 Kings 6:33 Behold, this evil is of the Lord;

2 Kings 21:12: Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Behold, I am bringing such evil upon Jerusalem and Judah, that whosoever heareth of it, both his ears shall tingle.

Nehemiah 13:18: Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city?

Jeremiah 6:19 Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people

Jeremiah 35:17 Therefore thus saith the Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring upon Judah and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the evil that I have pronounced against them:

Jeremiah 45:5 . Behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the Lord:

Jeremiah 49:37 I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the Lord; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them.

Micah 1:12 Evil came down from the Lord.

K

kenisyes

That's a lot to look up. I did a few. We had this discussion in another thread sometime ago, but I cannot find it. Pretty much they are of the same type. Even in English, to use something is not to create it. Most of these say that the Lord is going to direct evil where He chooses.

A

AmmiAmmiel

God created us with the ability to do evil. As He did with Satan, so He did with all His creations. Angels and Demons, Adam and Mankind alike. But what He did not great us with, is the ability to see Him. God's word tells us that we are born "dead in sins and trespasses". So, this leaves us with our fallen, deprived, sinful (evil) nature. It is thus when God changes our nature and makes us alive in Him. We are not able to do anything to glorify God until HE gives us life and makes us able to do so. Till then, we remain dead and enslaved to evil,.. So, evil exists for the glory of God. For He and only He is able to conquer it[:

cavil51

Mar 30, 2012
Yourfriend4life

Greetings,

I must ask WHY do you believe God created evil.

Is it because of some bible verses in some bible translations,I.E.:

Isaiah 45:7... I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and
create evil: I the LORD do all these things. ...

cavil51

:D

H

HollyLoree

Oh, I did not know that. I wonder what else in
the Bible has been mistranslated?
Actually, what kenisyes quoted was a mistranslation, Crucifiction. The famous KJV. The original Hebrew for that was something like "calamity". What was translated as "evil" should have been translated as "calamity".

create evil (should have been translated as "calamity"): I the LORD do all these things. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kenisyes

Actually, what kenisyes quoted was a mistranslation, Crucifiction. The famous KJV. The original Hebrew for that was something like "calamity". What was translated as "evil" should have been translated as "calamity".

create evil (should have been translated as "calamity"): I the LORD do all these things. ...
The Hebrew is Rah, Strong's 7451. It does mean calamity, but is also the standard word for evil, same word as the tree in Genesis 2:9.