Why did Paul use the word "Unequally"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I really like the analogy that verse offers.

This is how I see it:

First, A person is either for God or against God. It's an all or nothing thing.
Now imagine these people literally being yoked together standing in a field. God is at one side of the field, worldly things are on the opposite side.

First scenario (believer and non-believer):
The true believer would want to be moving towards God with all their might. The other person would be moving the other direction. There will be friction there. Plus, the non-believer will be doing absolutely NOTHING to help the believer get closer to God. They're pulling the other way.

Second scenario (both are believers):
Both would be carrying their load and helping each other move towards God and get closer to him with every step...which is the goal of the true believer.

Third scenario (one believer who has been a strong believer for 20 years, and the other who has been a believer for 3 years):
They would both still be moving in the same direction at least.
Perhaps some could argue that the newer believer wouldn't be much of a help to the older believer?

The people we choose to allow into our hearts and lives, especially in a very close way, DO effect us one way or another.

Last edited:
G

GreenNnice

I really like the analogy that verse offers.

This is how I see it:

First, A person is either for God or against God. It's an all or nothing thing.
Now imagine these people literally being yoked together standing in a field. God is at one side of the field, worldly things are on the opposite side.

First scenario (believer and non-believer):
The true believer would want to be moving towards God with all their might. The other person would be moving the other direction. There will be friction there. Plus, the non-believer will be doing absolutely NOTHING to help the believer get closer to God. They're pulling the other way.

Second scenario (both are believers):
Both would be carrying their load and helping each other move towards God and get closer to him with every step...which is the goal of the true believer.

Third scenario (one believer who has been a strong believer for 20 years, and the other who has been a believer for 3 years):
They would both still be moving in the same direction at least.
Perhaps some could argue that the newer believer wouldn't be much of a help to the older believer?

The people we choose to allow into our hearts and lives, especially in a very close way, DO effect us one way or another.
---
Great illustrations, niceguy.

----
Regarding this thread, IF God said, 'Do not be unequally yoked with 'an unbeliever.' Then I fluid see this referring to a marriage 'don't.'. But that is not the word Paul used. He said ,' Do not...with unbelievers.'

Now unless Paul was speaking of polygamy, which he is not, the right interpretation of this is... exactly as Zere says.

--
Now, tgat said, I still am wondering why a 'Ho-hum' attitude to marrying an unbeliever is yours. Oh well, to.each his own, if for you an unbeliever is OK, ... OK, fine. The Lord leads