Why Do Certain Elements On This Forum Just Attack And Criticize?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Renewal

I'm guessing your so used to being attacked on here all you see is offence in everything. Professing Christians on the prowl for the slightest thing to jump on, to put down, to criticize, to belittle, to attack, to grieve others of Christian belief. And then saying they are led by the Spirit, which Spirit is that? WAKE UP if you are Christians because this is not how Christians behave. Clearly many of you are not showing fruits of repentance or fruits of the Spirit. Christian forums should be a place of learning and development for GOD's Honour and Glory, a place for gaining knowledge and understanding to help in our walk. Elements on here don't even care about other Christians so the lost have no chance at all. I was hoping to find at least some unity and fellowship to help me grow and share gifts with one another. Peace be with you all who are in Christ and may you continue developing the fruits in your lives and take care from a servant of GOD the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ to the end of my days.

Jul 20, 2019
I'm guessing your so used to being attacked on here all you see is offence in everything. Professing Christians on the prowl for the slightest thing to jump on, to put down, to criticize, to belittle, to attack, to grieve others of Christian belief. And then saying they are led by the Spirit, which Spirit is that? WAKE UP if you are Christians because this is not how Christians behave. Clearly many of you are not showing fruits of repentance or fruits of the Spirit. Christian forums should be a place of learning and development for GOD's Honour and Glory, a place for gaining knowledge and understanding to help in our walk. Elements on here don't even care about other Christians so the lost have no chance at all. I was hoping to find at least some unity and fellowship to help me grow and share gifts with one another. Peace be with you all who are in Christ and may you continue developing the fruits in your lives and take care from a servant of GOD the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ to the end of my days.
This is because were are under spiritual attack. Satan wants to decieve, confuse and have people arguing, when there energies could be put to use elsewhere.

Jun 11, 2020
Fair assessment.

S

Scribe

It would be great if we could all honestly discuss differences of opinion and interpretation without sounding hostile. This is a great forum to learn how to do that.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
It would be great if we could all honestly discuss differences of opinion and interpretation without sounding hostile. This is a great forum to learn how to do that.
Well said. = )

I know some people that believe the solution is to ban all "discussion boards" and voila! instant solution of "peace and serenity," lol

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I think part of it is pride of knowledge and performance mentality.
John 5:39 is very good in this case.

And yes, I had to google what that book, chapter and verse is lol

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
There is a custom which is done by ending the reading of every fortune cookie with the clause, 'in bed.'

Perhaps a similar approach could be employed, to function as a cushion against any ill effects that may develop, by adding a term of endearment, such as 'darling,' to the end of every bdf post reading.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
How's the grade point average in that regard thus far?
Not here long enough to know the answer I'll ask, has the attack and criticisms that occur in the present time lessened compared to let us say, five years ago?

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
There is a custom which is done by ending the reading of every fortune cookie with the clause, 'in bed.'

Perhaps a similar approach could be employed, to function as a cushion against any ill effects that may develop, by adding a term of endearment, such as 'darling,' to the end of every bdf post reading.
For the mean spirited posts I think the fortune cookie norm would work perfectly. ;) "You're an idiot. What do you know? Read your bible some more moron....in bed." :ROFL:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If we are offended or hurt by someone else, we are to approach that person privately and explain the offense. If we're just engaging in conversation and asking questions, nobody should be getting offended.

May 31, 2020
Far too many people on this site shut out the Kingdom of Heaven against others. Hence my unapologetic attitude defending the innocence.

S

Scribe

How's the grade point average in that regard thus far?
Not here long enough to know the answer I'll ask, has the attack and criticisms that occur in the present time lessened compared to let us say, five years ago?
Among those that are sincere about improving there have been noticeable improvements.

There will always be those who are yielding to impulses of the flesh to vent, and I don't expect that to disappear.

Some have learned to articulate their reasons more succinctly and are not as provoking as they once were. I have witnessed it in the chat room even more than in the forums.

Overall it is much better today than 10 years ago.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Among those that are sincere about improving there have been noticeable improvements.

There will always be those who are yielding to impulses of the flesh to vent, and I don't expect that to disappear.

Some have learned to articulate their reasons more succinctly and are not as provoking as they once were. I have witnessed it in the chat room even more than in the forums.

Overall it is much better today than 10 years ago.
Thank you. :)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Christian forums should be a place of learning and development for GOD's Honour and Glory, a place for gaining knowledge and understanding to help in our walk.
Agreed. Ideally this is exactly what should happen. But since Christians forums are on the Internet, they are exposed to the whole world. And just like the Parable of the Wheat and Tares, there are both wheat and tares represented on these forums. There are both sheep and goats, and sheep and wolves. That is the nature of spiritual warfare (which Christians cannot avoid).

Since you are relatively new, I am not sure what you believe or do not believe. But if you hold to heresies or quirky doctrines, then you should expect correction. On the other hand is you are solidly grounded in the truth, you should feel free to correct others with Scripture. Personal attacks are neither necessary nor productive.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
to function as a cushion against any ill effects that may develop, by adding a term of endearment, such as 'darling
Right. Example " You are a hydra-headed monster darlin'!":p

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
or do what southern women do.... add "bless your heart"..... that rarely means what it says....

Mar 23, 2016
I think we need to understand that we're discussing "faith" issues. When folks have been brought up believing a certain way and someone points out an error in their understanding, that can result in shaking up deep-seated beliefs. A person may feel threatened ... even if they are in error in their understanding.

While I do not condone poor behavior (name-calling ... poor debate tactics, etc.), I do understand where it's coming from.

And sometimes we may need to hear a few times (or more) concerning the Scriptural truth of a matter ... so, while it might be exasperating having to repeat something more than a few times, and we might wonder "why doesn't this person 'get it'?", we just need to be patient. Let God work in the heart of the believer once we have spoken truth. And also let God work in our own heart if it turns out that we are in error and another believer is speaking truth to us.

The whole point is to learn and grow and walk more firmly and steadfastly in faith. If someone can help me to do this, thank you. If I can help someone else do this, praise God from Whom all blessings flow.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Well said. = )

I know some people that believe the solution is to ban all "discussion boards" and voila! instant solution of "peace and serenity," lol
That would be killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

This forum is absolutely wonderful for working out the true meaning in scripture. Every attacking problem is because people want to discuss their judgement of other people rather than scripture. They misuse this wonderful site to display their sin of judging people instead of judging scripture and what is sin. They will personalize any post.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I think If you not agree with certain teaching and you think It is unbiblical you have to say It,

Just like what you do, you don't agree with the way people criticized other and you say it

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
One of the largest issues I see is being unable to discern "tone" as well as not engaging things in prayer before posting. Mindfulness is important.

Reading your own emotion into text is also a possibility. Like if something strikes you in a way that produces anger you are more inclined to read the person's response in a negative cast. It could be they bear you no ill will, but for whatever reason something is read into their post that is not there.

I find it helpful to presume that the first way a post struck me is not accurate and step away when it impassions me negatively and then if still in 30 minutes or so (overnight sometimes) it still does, then perhaps I will calmly as possible respond.

I have deleted many a post that I simply cannot discern my own motives for posting and while frustrating, there are certain topics that I cannot speak on in response to certain people and represent my Lord to the best of my ability.

Or if I am in a hasty mood and quick to take offense because I am sensitive about something, I am inclined not to post at all.

It is true that some of the vitriol in BDF is surprising for fellow believers, but I find it cools me down to pretend it's not there before responding or that perhaps a modulated response can dissipate some of that. Not to mention that perhaps it "may" not be as bad as it seems after a brief away period. Or that emotion and tone can be projected from our own internal conditions like I said...like reading between the lines when nothing is there, or if something is there, you can only see part of it and as a result it would be wise to clarify first if possible.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior in personal interactions with believers? Or at least with the same frequency? If not, it is possible that being online and behind a keyboard may be part of the issue.

I can't say it enough. Step away from the keyboard, get a drink of water or some food. Walk outside for a bit or take a shower before posting something likely to cause offense.