Why do we have to have a sin nature?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selenah

Why in the world do we have to have a sin nature because of Adam and Eve? I hate it when I do things that are wrong, and it makes me miserable to think that I'm such a complete failure. I wanted to do God's will because I loved Him with my whole heart and soul and never wanted to do anything against Him. Living life with the guilt and self-hatred seems so stupid. If God is so loving and wants us to be completely devoted to Him, why do we have to mess up even though deep down we don't want to? I tried going back to God for a little while, but I kept doing and saying things that I wish I never had. Because of that, I hate myself so much. I never wanted to disobey God! I loved Him and wanted to do His will! Why in the world does being a Christian have to be so complicated! Gosh, I feel like I always have to worry about everything because it might not be "Christlike", and someone might go to hell because of something I did. I know we're forgiven of our sins, but that still doesn't take away the feeling of "*** why did I do that!!! I'm such an idiot!!!!!!" It seems like being a Christian puts so much more worry and guilt on a person than if that person wasn't a Christian and didn't have to worry about possibly being the reason someone is going to spend eternity in hell. Being a Christian seems like it's so confusing and hard to figure out. It's like it's just a bunch of guilt trips and hard-to-figure-out theology. Why can't Christians agree on things? Isn't the Bible supposed to be inerrant? There's so many other things about God that just don't make sense. It seems like it would be so much easier to live without all the worry, disagreement, guilt, and self-hatred. Why do we have to have a sin nature, even though we don't want it?

M

Meridoc

Why in the world do we have to have a sin nature because of Adam and Eve? I hate it when I do things that are wrong, and it makes me miserable to think that I'm such a complete failure. I wanted to do God's will because I loved Him with my whole heart and soul and never wanted to do anything against Him. Living life with the guilt and self-hatred seems so stupid. If God is so loving and wants us to be completely devoted to Him, why do we have to mess up even though deep down we don't want to? I tried going back to God for a little while, but I kept doing and saying things that I wish I never had. Because of that, I hate myself so much. I never wanted to disobey God! I loved Him and wanted to do His will! Why in the world does being a Christian have to be so complicated! Gosh, I feel like I always have to worry about everything because it might not be "Christlike", and someone might go to hell because of something I did. I know we're forgiven of our sins, but that still doesn't take away the feeling of "*** why did I do that!!! I'm such an idiot!!!!!!" It seems like being a Christian puts so much more worry and guilt on a person than if that person wasn't a Christian and didn't have to worry about possibly being the reason someone is going to spend eternity in hell. Being a Christian seems like it's so confusing and hard to figure out. It's like it's just a bunch of guilt trips and hard-to-figure-out theology. Why can't Christians agree on things? Isn't the Bible supposed to be inerrant? There's so many other things about God that just don't make sense. It seems like it would be so much easier to live without all the worry, disagreement, guilt, and self-hatred. Why do we have to have a sin nature, even though we don't want it?
We have a sin nature because mankind(adam and eve) made a choice. We now live in a sinful world. Yes we feel bad for what we do, the problem would come the moment we don't feel bad. We are going to sin, but the important thing is to strive to be better. We suffer because everyday we choose to give into sin, we don't sin because our sin nature makes us. The bible says we are not tempted beyond what we can bear, the problem is that we don't often believe that or more importantly truly turn to God in those moments of temptation. We can get better, we can sin less, but only if we start to trust God more and more.

The bible is inerrant, the problem is that many who call themselves christians use the bible to prove what they believe rather than letting the bible teach them what they should believe (though we all do this sometimes I think).

May 4, 2011
You have to blame it on someone so why not someone whose dead... or maybe didn't even exist. Humans love scapegoats its in our nature.

M

Meridoc

You have to blame it on someone so why not someone whose dead... or maybe didn't even exist. Humans love scapegoats its in our nature.
I don't blame it on adam and eve, but point out that is where it began. We each make our own choice to sin and are by that sin condemned and can only be saved by Grace given freely by a God who loves us.

C

Crazy4GODword

Do not worry sister, we have troubling times. We have sinful nature because of how it came about. We really cannot fathom God mind completely (Isaiah 55:8-9). God's design was purposely here so that we may be saved through Jesus Christ. Now sinful nature of ours was not always there as you know, but God had a plan even from the beginning of time. In the book of Genesis i learned that there is part of the gospel of Jesus Christ fulfilling the prophecies in the beginning of Genesis, this makes you think "Wow God even told us how Jesus will win over the devil before Abraham existed.

Even the cross is in the beginning of the bible, you can even draw the diagram out. Seemed like it was all planned for the coming of Christ, which it was. God hates sin but not the sinner, He created us in His Image, which is Jesus Christ.....like you said the word Christ-like which is what the word Christian means. We all have mistakes, but the pain you are feeling is conviction, which is a guilt feeling from the Spirit of God inside you telling you "this was wrong" then after, you can go to the throne of grace and ask Him forgiveness and He will give relief to you and He is telling us "Now you are not condemned for trying, but go and repent and show Jesus to those who are lost my child".

God bless

May 25, 2010
Selenah,
What you are going through is found in Romans 5-8, which put
simply is the enmity (conflict) between our spirit which wants to do
good, and our flesh which wants to do bad. What you must
understand is that our 'sin nature' is what was left of us when the
Spirit of GOD left Adam immediatley after he ate the forbidden fruit:
and since that time, all born of a man and woman (which excepts
Jesus since GOD is HIS Father) were born dead to the Spirit.
But here is the Grace of GOD and the Hope of mankind, that Jesus,
throught His atoning death (attonement for Adam's sin), made it
possible for the Holy SPirit to come an dwell in the Hearts of men
(and woman), and enable them to live a life pleasing to GOD and free
of a guilty conscience. The devil told Eve that she could eat (sin) and
not die (live forever), and it is the same lie told today by his ministers.
So do not be fooled, and know that there is a way out of you sinful
actions and guilty conscience, throught the transforming power of the
Holy Spirit, which is Christ in you. Was not Christ and example for us,
who knew not sin, neither was guile found in His Mouth, that we
should follow; or did He set the bar to high for any to reach?

So confess you lack of faith and you sins to GOD, and begin again
your search for Peace with GOD by striving for the Mark of Perfection,
which is Holiness, wherein there is no fear of anything but GOD.

P.S.
Read you Bible and Trust the Lord's Guidance, but beware of all men,
and do not let them take you off the black-and-white or red-and-white on the page, for all are liars (Rom 3:4).

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
Dear Selenah,

You have a sin nature because God wanted to express the fullness of Himself to you in the sending of Jesus to bring you back to Him. So that you might know the depth and width and fullness of His love which He gave to you in Christ Jesus. There is a foundation to drink from and the Father offers it freely, what you could never do Christ did for you. Jesus is able to save to the utter most all who come to God by Him. So come on :D the water is sweet! Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden is light and you who are heavy laden should come to Him because you will find rest for your soul.

God bless

M

MaggieMye

Those born of God no longer have a sin nature. All Born again people have the nature of Christ. What Christians have is sin HABITS that need to be taken to the cross or that need deliverance.

If you think about it for even a minute... HOW can one born of God have a SIN nature? When one is born of God ALL THINGS, including one's nature, are made NEW. All fall short of the Glory of God and MUST come to Christ. But as born of God heirs to the throne, we are no longer falling short for we HAVE the nature of Christ, THE MIND OF CHRIST. The Mind of Christ is not set on sin. If one's MIND is set on sin, purposeful sin, then there is no mind of Christ, there is no NEW nature and the prayer for salvation was said withOUT sincerity...the person is not saved. We are to judge the FRUIT.
Maggie

Dec 19, 2009
I don’t believe we do what we do because of Adam and Eve. I believe we are responsible for our own actions.

F

FireOnTheAltar

Try reading Romans 8 sometime as well as 1 John 3. As believers, we are given the option to either follow after the flesh or follow the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 10:13). Jesus himself proclaims that the first leads to death while the other leads to eternal life. While none of us are perfect, I can say with all certainty (from personal experience) that when we put our trust in him and not only believe his word but also follow it, that we can have victory over the flesh - that is if we truly desire it. Again, no one is perfect (especially not me) however, God is not only faithful to forgive us of past sins but he has never failed to give me strength to overcome in the face of temptation, worry or doubt when I chose to turn to him in those situations. I believe with all my heart that He will do this for you too if you seek Him.

Jun 24, 2010
Those born of God no longer have a sin nature. All Born again people have the nature of Christ. What Christians have is sin HABITS that need to be taken to the cross or that need deliverance.

If you think about it for even a minute... HOW can one born of God have a SIN nature? When one is born of God ALL THINGS, including one's nature, are made NEW. All fall short of the Glory of God and MUST come to Christ. But as born of God heirs to the throne, we are no longer falling short for we HAVE the nature of Christ, THE MIND OF CHRIST. The Mind of Christ is not set on sin. If one's MIND is set on sin, purposeful sin, then there is no mind of Christ, there is no NEW nature and the prayer for salvation was said withOUT sincerity...the person is not saved. We are to judge the FRUIT.
Maggie
Let say that you never murdered anyone or even considered it but one day out of nowhere you have this wicked rage and want to kill someone who has betrayed you. Where did that come from? It was not some habit of sin but it came from your heart because it was in there and the lust of that murdering rage invaded the cells of your body as you entertained the imagination and thought, even though you never acted upon it. It came from the sin nature that lives in the members of your body (Rom 7:23). In your heart you committed murder just like the man did when he looked upon the woman and lusted after her in (Mt 5:28).

F

FireOnTheAltar

Red, rather than debating what I have to say. Why don't you give it a try? At best, you will be set free from some junk in your life. At worst, you will have a closer walk with the Lord. It's a win / win situation. Or do you love your sin so much that you'd rather put your trust in some denominational teaching rather than seek God for yourself?

Aug 2, 2009
God gave us a sinful nature and made us weak so that he could save us and show us how much He loves us despite our weaknesses. If we were all perfect beings there would be no reason for God to do anything. He could just leave us be since we were all good. Thats not the way God wants His glory to be manifested. He wanted us to need him so that He would feel loved whenever one of us chose to turn to Him out of our own freewill. Without weakness and freewill true love cannot manifest and true glory cannot be bestowed.

Jun 24, 2010
Red, rather than debating what I have to say. Why don't you give it a try? At best, you will be set free from some junk in your life. At worst, you will have a closer walk with the Lord. It's a win / win situation. Or do you love your sin so much that you'd rather put your trust in some denominational teaching rather than seek God for yourself?
Where did that come from, like some mighty rushing wind of the air? What is this junk in my life that you are referring to? Now you accuse me of loving my sin and putting trust in a denominational teaching. Who are you and where do you come from?

If we sin, we can confess our sin and we have an advocate in Christ who was judged for our sin and as our sin. Did you get that or is it too high for you? If we don't confess our sin and continue in it, God will chastise us until He is able to restore us. Still too high for you? God will give us grace in our sin and exchange grace for our sin, so that we will not have to continue in our sin. That just blew you out of the water, didn't it? Just think. When we sin (and God forbid we do in every case), God is there to give us a super abundance of grace and will continue to give it to us until we are free from the bondage, the stimulation and the effects of sin in our flesh. You know why He is able to do that? Because Christ put all our sins away and buried them and God does not deal with us according to our sins but according to His mercy and grace, just in the same way He saved us, by grace through faith and by His mercy. How great is the goodness of God that leads us to turn from ourselves to Him.

Shall we sin that grace may abound (GOD FORBID 1,000 times) but God will continue to give us grace in the form of chastisement (if needed) until that grace is able to work in us a peaceable fruit of righteousness and teach us these things according to (Titus 2:11-14)...

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly , righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 15 These things speak , and exhort , and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Do you despise me for my understanding and practice in the grace of God?