why do you listen to music?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

what part of music do you like?

• vocals [singing]

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • lyrics

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • instrument

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the song as a whole

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

goth4god

whats the thing you like about the music you listen to?
are you more of instrument person that likes to listen to the guitar in the song?
or do you like to listen to the lyrics?

C

Cobblepot

It depends on the song. Some musicians just bowl me over with blazing, incredibly inventive instrumentals (at this moment, I'm thinking about Primus, specifically). Other times, I can be utterly enthralled by a band with especially poignant lyrics (the best lyrics I've ever heard come from a band called The Residents - they're my favorite band, truly pioneering poets)

G

goth4god

if you are one of the people that likes to listen to music for the complexity of the instrument, you might want to check out Radical Classical. she is an awesome Christian woman who plays the classical guitar like you have never seen. when I saw her play I was in awe, and i dont even play guitar! if she wasnt a Christian I would have thought she sold her soul to the devil to play that well!
her sponsor is Fender and she has played background and filler guitar for a lot of well known secular bands like iron maiden, cuz they arent good enough to make their music sound full lol!
but really, you should look her up! =]

L

Leilaii425

I really love classical music, debussy, beethoven bach... its relaxing. and helps me think

Sep 27, 2009
I like songs more for the sound than the lyrics, I suppose. I like Christian music, both contemporary and traditional. Some of the old traditional hymns sound fantastic with an acoustic guitar, I think.

M

Matthew

It's depends on what I'm listening too, sometimes I'll play a song that doesn't have great lyrics but maybe an incredible piece of music that I really love, other times it's the opposite and the lyrics are excellent and I really connect with the message in the song.

It's rare I listen to music solely for the vocal performance because exceptional vocalists are rare and often they are dwarfed by technology and so it takes a live performance to really appreciate the vocal performance.

But most of the time it's for the whole song, there are only a few artists whose careers I follow and have done for years already because I connect to their music on all levels, the music, lyrics and vocal performance.

B

BrokenAndBeautiful

I agree with Matthew, it depends on the music, on the song. While in one song, the vocals may pull me in, and its the lyrics, or message that keeps me in, and in other songs, I dont even like the persons vocals, but I actually listen to the words, and am blown away. I love all kinds of music, for different reasons, and I thank God for music, beacause without it, life would be truly dull!

AlaynaJ

Staff member
Dec 15, 1999
Music is sooo incredibly impoirtant to me... I can't stand silence.. No matter where I am, I'm almost always got music playing even when I'm sleeping... I love the lyrics, especially in christian songs where I can sing along in worship... It's just soo awesome.