Why is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit an unforgivable sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Mark 3:28-2 (ESV)
“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter,
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”

I've always heard this but it's still so confusing

S

Stranger36147

No one really knows. People seem to have different ideas of what this sin is and how it's committed. Jesus didn't elaborate on this issue which is why there's many different interpretations.

Feb 7, 2015
What is YOUR opinion of what "blaspheming The Holy Spirit" really is? (Either or BOTH of you.)

You cannot be sure you don't do something unless you know what it is you aren't supposed to do.

Last edited:

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God and Christ .My view is we blasphemy him directly for He lives in you

S

Samual

“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter,
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”

If you'll read in the context it tells of Jesus doing miracles like healing a blind demon possessed man. The pharisees in an effort to expose him, claimed he was doing it by the power of Satan. Jesus asked them, how could Satan cast out Satan. A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand, and therefore I say to you, all sins against the son of man will be forgiven, but he who blasphemes the holy spirit will not be forgiven but is in danger of eternal damnation. So, by the context that blasphemy is being used, Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to accuse Christ of doing his works by the power of the devil, not by God. And to truly commit this sin, I believe you must believe this with as much conviction as a Christian believes that Christ is our savior. And as furthut proof: Mark 3:30-Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Feb 7, 2015
The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God and Christ .My view is we blasphemy him directly for He lives in you
OK.... Now what is "blasphemy"? Just throwing out a Bible-sounding word means little to you or anyone else.

A

atwhatcost

Blasphemy is never trusting God. Not to be confused with those times when we don't or won't, but really never ever trusting him. Another way of seeing this is never giving self to God. It's the same thing as never being sanctified, (which comes as a result of salvation), aka never following God.

Easier to deal with now?

A

atwhatcost

No one really knows. People seem to have different ideas of what this sin is and how it's committed. Jesus didn't elaborate on this issue which is why there's many different interpretations.
Um. :confused: Some of us know.

Dec 12, 2013
Because it is a permanent state of unbelief.....To attribute the works of Jesus by the Holy Spirit unto the power of the devil denies his work on behalf of humanity<---this is a state of unbelief....and one who will not believe cannot be forgiven!

A

atwhatcost

Because it is a permanent state of unbelief.....To attribute the works of Jesus by the Holy Spirit unto the power of the devil denies his work on behalf of humanity<---this is a state of unbelief....and one who will not believe cannot be forgiven!
See, Stranger? Some of us know.

G

Galahad

Mark 3 KJV
[SUP]22 [/SUP]And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.[SUP]23 [/SUP]And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
[SUP]24 [/SUP]And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
[SUP]25 [/SUP]And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
[SUP]26 [/SUP]And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
[SUP]27 [/SUP]No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
[SUP]28 [/SUP]Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
[SUP]29 [/SUP]But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.
[SUP]30 [/SUP]Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

By the Holy Spirit Jesus cast out demons. Many Jews in that day witnessed the power of Jesus, the Holy Spirit working through Him. Therefore, many Jews would recognize Jesus as one with whom God was with. (See John 3:1. "...for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him." And Nicodemus was most certainly correct.)

What is the answer from the scribes? Jesus casts out demon by the prince of demons.

That's blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. They will never be forgiven. Why? Because they will not, they won't, they refuse, they close their heart, they ignore the truth. They will not SEE. They refuse to acknowledge the truth. More so, they go so far as to attribute the work of the Holy Spirit as that of Beelzebub.

The scribes were beyond reason. Unable, literally, unable to SEE the truth.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
I would like to suggest another, no not another, but a companion reason for Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to be unforgivable, considering that Blasphemy against Jesus is forgivable, according to Luke 12:10. Jesus has power over the physical bodies of all men, but I haven't seen anywhere that the Holy Spirit has any power other than the ability to help believers in various ways. Therefore, to give the Holy Spirit power over sinners to "protect' it's dignity, God made it a deadly sin to defame it. If defame is not what everyone feels blasphemy might be, then you may insert your own word.

T

thebesttrees

The explanation is rather simple. The Lord and the Holy Spirit are inseparable as the sun is inseparable from its light. If one does not look for the light and prefers to be in darkness, in other words loathes the light like a bat does, he will never discover the sun no matter how close he is to the sun. But if one rejects the sun but believes in the light, there is always a chance that he will discover the sun which is associated with the light as he knows that the light has to come from somewhere!

Hepzibah

Apr 18, 2015
I believe that this verse is applicable to us when we deny that conviction of our sinfulness is attributed to Satan instead of recognising it is the Holy Spirit. It is the specific role of the Holy Spirit to convict of sin. So we say ' We have been forgiven. It is the accuser of the brethren who is speaking' and so we miss the chance of being fully cleansed from our sins and enabled to walk in holiness and therefore forgiveness. He who sins is of the devil.

Last edited:

Ella85

May 9, 2014
I agree, it is purely something evil