Why is it important to study the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

violakat

I'm working on a project and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on why they think it's important to study the Bible, and why.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
It's important to study the bible because it is God's divine revelation so in order to know His will for our lives we have to study His word (Psalms 119:105). It is a spiritual food that enables us to grow to maturity (1 Peter 2:2) and our source of strength in times of need; sometimes when you are feeling down quoting some of the promises of God for instance from the book of Psalms can be very uplifting. The duty of every believer is to fulfil the great commission and to be successful at it one has to have good knowledge of the scriptures. Lastly, it is the spiritual weapon that gives us victory - there is power in His word (Eph 6:17); when the Lord Jesus was tempted in the wilderness He recited passages which brought about triumph over Satan, so God's word is our reliable weapon during temptations.:)

R

RachelBibleStudent

it is important to study the bible so that we can help people with their projects :D

R

RachelBibleStudent

to answer the question seriously though...

studying the bible helps strengthen our faith...increases our knowledge and wisdom...improves our prayer lives...motivates our praises...guides us in holy living and acts of love...and prepares us to share and defend the gospel...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
It reveals the mind of God without which all would be guesswork as it is in paganism.

Oct 31, 2011
The word of God is a powerful tool in our life. In the gospel of John, it calls Christ the word.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

In Genesis it speaks of God using words to create.

Gen 1:3 Then God said, "Let there belight," and there was light.

The words of the bible are keys to opening us up to life in the spirit.

Jeshuvan

Pastor
Staff member
Apr 15, 2012
the Word of God clearly study 2 show yourself approved.Its a command from God

V

violakat

the Word of God clearly study 2 show yourself approved.Its a command from God
Totally did not think about that. But you're right, it is a command.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
(Rom 10:17)ESV

G

GRA

I'm working on a project and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on why they think it's important to study the Bible, and why.
"It is important for us to study the Bible so that we do not find ourselves asking 'why' the second time..." ;)

/ let it "sink in" for a just a bit

/ snicker - for several seconds

/ recompose

question 1: "Why do you think it is important to study the Bible?"

question 2: "Why do you think that?"

/ laugh hysterically for two minutes

/ apologize for making fun of her

/ make quick exit

(serious post may follow later)

:)

V

violakat

You and Rachel are great for laughs.

PM to follow GRA.
----------------
yes, gasp, I did say PM. That's like twice in a week.

N

nonicknametouse

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thouroughly equipped for every good work. Studying the bible is a way to learn about the Lord and how He wants us to live as Christians. God's word is living. His word lives through the Holy Spirit which lives in the heart of the Christian. It is the road map to live a Godly life. Studying the bible is one thing, however applying God's word in your life is just as, if not more, important. We nourish our body with food and it keeps our bodies healthy and strong. We feed our Spirit with God's word and it keeps our Spirit strong and healthy. Studying God's word brings unity and bonds people together. Jesus says in John 15: 5 I am the vine, you are the branch. If a man abides in me I will abide in him and he will bear much fruit. apart from Me you can do nothing. And it is through His word we learn to do everything. It is important to study because He gave it to us for that purpose and it pleases Him.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
it keeps you from falling for false teaching. if you know the Word, you will know the difference between someone's opinion, and what the Bible really says and means.

Jan 14, 2013
2 Tmothy 3:15- '..... From childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus'

Psalm 119:11- 'Your word I have treasured in my heart that i might not sin against you'

Jeremiah 15:16- 'Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became for me a Joy and the delight of my heart'

Psalm 19:17- 'The law of The Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of The Lord is sure ​making wise the simple'

N

Nancyer

I can't add much more wisdom to the above except to say I desire to know the Lord my God and reading His Word, absorbing it, and endeavoring to understand it is the best way to get into Him. Also let me say that when I am not in the right frame of mind, not having a great day, feeling a little off or down, God's Word calms me, uplifts me, gives me a great sense of peace. The peace of God which transcends all understanding and guards my heart. I pray your project goes well.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
To gain that worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.