why is surrender scary? here's my insight ...

• Thread starter theanointedsinner
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

theanointedsinner

why is surrender scary?

if we never lost anything in life before, and childrens are naturally curious, then ...

I think we associate surrender with the bad experience of losing things

a naturally curious child would be "let's give it a try" or something

for bad experiences, God expect us to trust him with this mentality:

I don't in the least understand what you are doing, what you are doing hurts, but go on with it

or
I don't understand it at all, but go on with what You are doing.

^and this trust is the hardest part, I fall short of this holy standard (just like many other standards of holiness as well)

U

Ugly

Actually its pretty simple. It means we are not in control, or at least feel in control. Not being in control can be terrifying.
Think of being in a passenger seat of a car driving up steep winding roads with sudden, long drops.
Now imagine that same scene but you're driving (in control). Which is scarier?
That's all there is to it.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
It's scary for 2 reasons:
1. When a person doesn't know who they are surrendering to.
2. In today's society independence and atonomy are valued. In fact every day since we were born we are being shaped to become independent and not to rely on anyone.

So it's naturally difficult for us, especially because God (although here) does not appear to us daily in the physical world. The spiritual world is quite confusing for us bc we are bombarded with so many lies between the truth. Hence why we need to completely surrender our lives.

It's not something where anyone is perfect. It's something everyone needs to practice daily.

Rgmichels

Sep 8, 2018
Texas
The best analogy I can think of is on a ship. We can steer in calm waters and go wherever we want. However, once the water become disturbed we no longer have control of where we go or it is extremely difficult to maintain control regardless of where we're going. If we try to maintain control of the ship during a storm, things can get worse. The ship can capsize, break, permanently lose steering, among other problems. However if we work with the storm instead of fighting it, we will see the end of the storm and find ourselves on the other side. Bad times can be a storm God caused in our lives for a reason, but God controls it all and if we fight the storm we fight him. Everything happens for a reason. So let's not fight him and work with God to do wonderful things even among times of peril.

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
I feel the thought of the unknown or not having control makes us uncomfortable. But God is asking us to trust Him 100%.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

T

theanointedsinner

1539653885105.png surrender can be a very important life skill

xxblahblahxx

Aug 9, 2015
I think surrender can be scary for many, and probably most believers because of the whole “trust.” Surrender is giving God control, releasing your very life into His hands, and trusting Him enough to not take it back. Surrender is “Not my will, But Your will be done in every aspect of my life.” And we forget the peace that results from that. The peace that says “it’s no longer in my hands but in the hands of the Creator.” When we do everything on our own for so long, it can be very challenging to give up that control over to God. And because surrender to God does result in a lot of unknown things in this life, that is where trust and faith in God alone comes in.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Not having control is scary because if I'm in control i know what's going on and where I'm going i have a plan etc. But when you have to listen to someone else, especially someone who purposely makes things difficult (not in a bad way but for good reasons), it's terrifying because you no longer know what's happening, maybe you know where you're going but you don't know how you're going to get there, when you'll arrive, what to prepare for you literally just have to trust that person and that's hard because trusting anyone is hard. We are called to be child like for goid reason, children don't do anything themselves, when my nephew wants food he ask for food and he assumes I'm going to get him some, that's howcwe need to be. We need to trust that God will do what he said He would, we need to trust who He is. Easier said then done after being lied to, back stabbed, hurt, taken advantage of, and Lord knows what else and He ask that we give up trying to do things ourselves and he says He'll figure it out. Idk about you but it's hard for me to depend on anyone for important stuff, but I'm also learning that i can't even depend on myself so trusting God is never easy but He's never failed me before so I'll try my best even if it's scary.

T

theanointedsinner

Not having control is scary because if I'm in control i know what's going on and where I'm going i have a plan etc. But when you have to listen to someone else, especially someone who purposely makes things difficult (not in a bad way but for good reasons), it's terrifying because you no longer know what's happening, maybe you know where you're going but you don't know how you're going to get there, when you'll arrive, what to prepare for you literally just have to trust that person and that's hard because trusting anyone is hard. We are called to be child like for goid reason, children don't do anything themselves, when my nephew wants food he ask for food and he assumes I'm going to get him some, that's howcwe need to be. We need to trust that God will do what he said He would, we need to trust who He is. Easier said then done after being lied to, back stabbed, hurt, taken advantage of, and Lord knows what else and He ask that we give up trying to do things ourselves and he says He'll figure it out. Idk about you but it's hard for me to depend on anyone for important stuff, but I'm also learning that i can't even depend on myself so trusting God is never easy but He's never failed me before so I'll try my best even if it's scary.
your right, I can try to pep talk myself into surrendering all I want, the underlying issue still exist

at the least, we can be sympathetic with those who struggle with surrendering
God can help them walk through the process of gradual surrendering, but that also requires trust

back to square 1