Why it matters so much

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
I am sure some of you may have noticed that I argue things a bit passionately at times. I am going to tell you why it matters so much for me to repeatedly emphasize a point.

One of the verses in the Bible that means a great deal to me is the one that refers to those that cause one of their brothers or sisters to stumble due to their own choices. This means a lot to me because I never want to insist on a sinful and dangerous practice or lifestyle and, in so doing, teach others that are watching my walk that it is okay to compromise, thus sending them into sin and maybe even leading to them being separated eternally from Christ.

I do believe that this verse refers mainly to the intentional causing of stumbling, however, I also believe that if I know something is sinful, or even questionable, and I continue to do it, that I am purposely causing another to stumble, should the follow my example.

When I am arguing and reiterating a point on these forums, it is not because I want to change the mind of the person I am speaking to, in most cases. It is, rather, that I want anyone that wanders in and silently observes to know the truth and to be aware that because some people condone sin in certain ways and levels, one should always look to God's Word for the final and absolute say.

I also emphasize that if there is even a slight question if something is sinful or wrong, even the merest hint that a practice could be unholy, one should abstain from it until they have fully read through the Scriptures and sought God in prayer. It is better to avoid something that appears sinful and to be counted pure than to think that it may be okay and be caught in sinful compromise and deadly habits.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 (The Message Translation) says, "Don’t suppress the Spirit, and don’t stifle those who have a word from the Master. On the other hand, don’t be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what’s good. Throw out anything tainted with evil." This is how I desire to live my life.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 (Amplified): Do not quench (suppress or subdue) the [Holy] Spirit; Do not spurn the gifts and utterances of the prophets [do not depreciate prophetic revelations nor despise inspired instruction or exhortation or warning]. But test and prove all things [until you can recognize] what is good; [to that] hold fast. Abstain from evil [shrink from it and keep aloof from it] in whatever form or whatever kind it may be.

Amen.