Words will never hurt me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 24, 2012
We have all heard that old saying, Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names or words will never hurt me.

Maybe it just me, but having been on the wrong end of those words many times, and just recently letting satan use me as a troll to hurt someone I consider very dear; with his lies. I was wondering is it just me or does this seem to be one of the biggest lies straight from hell or what? Does anyone know who started this quote?

Not only is this something we are commanded against (Ephesiasn 4:29-30), but we will be answerable for these idle words (Matthews 12:36-37). And I have found that lies can do so much damage, that without God Grace through Christ there is no healing.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
The wounds that words sometimes cause can be harder to heal than physical wounds.

Jul 25, 2005
Agreed, but saying it to yourself after some moron calls you fat or stupid isn't a bad thing altogether.

E

episcopotic

"Sticks and stones
will break my bones
but words will never hurt me."

If you hear a rhyme, it's probably a nursery rhyme meant to teach a lesson. In this case, someone who is being taunted can recite this to themselves to remain calm, not retaliate in violence, etc. It's not a statement of truth, but a charm for emotional strength for kids in the heat of the moment. Reestablish rhythm, slow down the breathing, hum it to yourself. That sort of thing.

Sort of like how people in horror movies yell "I'm not afraid of you" then run away screaming.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I guess it all depends on who says it. I know I couldn't begin to describe how little I care about some/most peoples personal opinions of me. Outside of my group of friends, what those people say dont bother me at all.

A

adekruif

It should also be noted that someone's lack of words (ignoring) can hurt just as much, or sometimes more than what someone has said.

As far as word hurting, the Bible tells us that the tongue is a very 'powerful weapon'. James 3:9 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness."

S

shirley

WORDS DO HURT VERY MUCH IT AFFECTS YOUR SELF ESTEEM MENTAL CAPABLITIES ETC WHEN SOMEONE TALKS TO ME OUT OF LOVE ITS A BLESSING BUT WHEN YOUR CONSTANTLY BEING PUT DOWN LIKE ME ITS HURTS DEEPLY AND ONLY MAKES ME NOT WANTING TO DO ANY TASKS

4evrfree

The Bible makes it very clear that the tongue is a very powerful weapon and should be used with care.. I think most of us have been deeply hurt by words at some point in our lives and it hurts even worse when those words come from a loved one! I agree its something we can tell ourselves when words do hurt us.. because we know hurtful words are not from God... But I do believe its unrealistic for one to think that one cannot be hurt by words!