Worship

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheGrungeDiva

In many churches, Catholic and liturgical Protestant specifically, this week is called "Holy Week." We start today with "Palm Sunday," the celebration of Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem, where people waved palm branches and spread their cloaks on the road before him, calling him a King.
On Thursday, we celebrate "Maundy Thursday," from the Latin "maundete," meaning "command," where we celebrate Jesus' last supper with his disciples. Jesus said, "do this in remembrance of me," and so we do, every week, but this annual celebration is special. It often includes a foot-washing ritual, and some churches will offer nod to passover, a remembrance that the meal they shared was the passover seder.
Friday is known as "Good Friday." A common service held on this day is called "tebebrae," or "darkening," remembering the passion, the death of Jesus on the cross. Sometimes we will include a reading of the stations of the cross, or veneration of the cross, remembering the suffering that Jesus made for us.
Some of us will celebrate an Easter Vigil on Saturday night, others might do a Sunrise service. All leading up to the Big Alleluia, the best news of all.

I know that some churches do not celebrate any of these festivals (for example, Jehovah's Witnesses). I would be curious to know what those of you who worship in non-liturgical churches do during this week. I know most evangelical churches do make Easter Sunday (or some call it "Resurrection Sunday," since the word "Easter" has pagan roots) a special day. Do you have other services during the week, remembering the passion that makes the Resurrection so amazing?

I'm always eager to learn what Christians who worship in different ways from me do. We all worship in Spirit and Truth, but I know we all worship in different styles.