Would you or do you share bank accounts with your spouse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Here ya go presidente. Public Service Grave Digger Lynx, here to help.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
why is this in singles forum shouldnt it be in family forum

anyway

Im sure its been answered. If someone has no income sure they would want to share their bank account with you but would you share their bank account with them? Or just give them an allowance.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Again:

If you wait until you are married to think about some things that marriage involves, you're going to get some nasty surprises.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

anyway

Im sure its been answered. If someone has no income sure they would want to share their bank account with you but would you share their bank account with them? Or just give them an allowance.
This is something that truly married people understand. Marriage is not a "team" in the traditional sense....it's 100% effort from all participants 100% of the time. The husband loves the wife as if she is his own body....and when done right she is a reflection of him. Her adornments and beauty are a reflection of his care for her.
She of course loves and respects her husband and only looks for his care and increased reputation and standing in the community they live in. That doesn't happen necessarily through her....but she is going to be frugal with every asset he has entrusted her with. The two are ONE. Talking to her is no different than talking to him.
We have had salesmen try to divide us....and hit their heads against the wall when we are so unified in thinking and goals. But that's Marriage.

One day the husband will retire from earning a paycheck. (Like I have) my wife is still midpoint in her career so she has at least another 20+ years to go. Where I was the primary breadwinner for decades....now it's her. No big deal....life continues on the same as it always has. I still spend money as need be. (Not a lot)

But I did get a new zero turn lawnmower yesterday. The mower is great....the guy operating it needs to practice more.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I have both... We share a joint account and I also have a business account as I was selling items on Ebay and it is easier to keep business separated from house funds and easier for tax purposes.

Since I have slowed down to a near halt on the business side of things but still have the account as my pay pal is attached to it and still easier to use for transferring money.

Even though it is a separate account whatever is in there would be Tourists should anything happen to me...so it is a non issue.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont think it matters but I think having 2 people access one account with different budgets for each is much the same as any organisation as long as you agree on the budget...

?! What is so hard about that. Or dont people know about budgeting.

ronnie97044

Aug 9, 2017
I have always had a joint account with the wife ever since we got married, plus she knows budgeting and quickbooks better working for a CPA. I have always trusted her to keep the finances in order and we always discuss stuff together when we do purchases.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I dont think it matters but I think having 2 people access one account with different budgets for each is much the same as any organisation as long as you agree on the budget...

?! What is so hard about that. Or dont people know about budgeting.
People don't know about budgeting or what a proper budget looks like.

Or even how to budget for extra expenses every month. (Birthday presents, flowers for mothers day, fishing gear for Father's day, or even flowers for funerals, car repairs....all non recurring expenses)

All that stuff happens on a regular basis....it just does. Plan on it happening to you as well. Or be known as the tight
Fisted jerk who doesn't ever help anyone anywhere at anytime.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
People don't know about budgeting or what a proper budget looks like.

Or even how to budget for extra expenses every month. (Birthday presents, flowers for mothers day, fishing gear for Father's day, or even flowers for funerals, car repairs....all non recurring expenses)

All that stuff happens on a regular basis....it just does. Plan on it happening to you as well. Or be known as the tight
Fisted jerk who doesn't ever help anyone anywhere at anytime.
Churches teach budgeting...learn it.
Churches also run on donations or koha. You give and then you have it returned to you with your cup running over. If you give to the poor, you lend to God, who will pay you back.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
CAP..christians against poverty is a ministry that many churches have.

The courses are free. Otherwise learn financial management or the basics of commerce. The Bible does teach us how to use what talents we have and how to mulitply our blessings. One widow took a jar of oil and managed to have it never run out. The Bible also teaches how to invest.

Do you pay to go to church or do you give...?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Churches teach budgeting...learn it.
Churches also run on donations or koha. You give and then you have it returned to you with your cup running over. If you give to the poor, you lend to God, who will pay you back.
Giving is not "loaning to God" that you expect to be paid back for with interest.

Giving is because I am a giver. There are takers and givers types of people. I give and share because it's who I am....not out of a sense of obligation or tax or even "give to get" schemes.

Many people are taught how to budget for housing, food, transportation and entertainment expenses but giving is often regarded as a unnecessary expense. But when it's a defining characteristic of your nature....it needs a higher priority to be above entertainment expenses.

That's what I'm referring to. I'm not sure you really understand what I'm talking about with what you just posted. Just saying....

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
So, I’ve got friends who are married and some of them share their bank accounts (or merge it as one) but a few of my friends who are married don’t share their bank accounts.

The couples who don’t share give the reasons below:
1. They are happy with keeping accounts seperate.
2. They don’t need to know their spouses income (it’s a personal thing according to them).
3. They prefer seperate accounts so that they can manage their finances e.g one of them pays the bills one week, the other one pays the bills the following week etc etc.
4. One couple said that they were raised from backgrounds that never had to depend on their family members, so they’re comfortable of keeping it that way with their spouse.

VS

The couples who share bank accounts:
1. When you’re married, it makes life easier when you join accounts to manage the finances.
2. Easier to keep track of what’s coming in and going out.
3. It’s makes sense to merge bank accounts with your husband/wife.

Sooooo, would you or would you not share (merge) your bank account with your spouse?

Personally, if or when I get married, I would. I think, for me it would make managing of finances/income easier. But that’ll have to be discussed with my future husband if he agrees lol.

And if you’re currently married, or dating someone, you can share your experience/thoughts as well.
for the 1st section, there are "single" characteristics involved: "don't need to know spouses income"? remember the 2 became 1 in matrimony!!!!! having your own bank account that's private & personal in a marriage is not marriage. the best way is all money merged. it adds great security, confidence & protection in the marriage. but i don't mean to expunge money to hide or keep secret for a surprise gift for a spouse like a vacation. i'll also say that if a private account is suitable, the other spouse ought to be able to check it any time. as for me, i have a business account my wife knows about, checking account she knows, investments she knows, on-hand cash she knows, emergency cash she knows, antiques she knows & other material assets.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Giving is not "loaning to God" that you expect to be paid back for with interest.

Giving is because I am a giver. There are takers and givers types of people. I give and share because it's who I am....not out of a sense of obligation or tax or even "give to get" schemes.

Many people are taught how to budget for housing, food, transportation and entertainment expenses but giving is often regarded as a unnecessary expense. But when it's a defining characteristic of your nature....it needs a higher priority to be above entertainment expenses.

That's what I'm referring to. I'm not sure you really understand what I'm talking about with what you just posted. Just saying....
If you want less lonely
And a lot more fun
And deep satisfaction
When the day is done
Throw your heart wide open
And give it away

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Proverbs 19:17

check it out

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Businesses do keep secret bank accounts its well known, especially ones that try to evade tax.

I think its not relevant to singles on this forum what married couples do, because singles are not married.

If your were formerly married, it would have impacted you, everything is yours after two years if you divorce you need a settelement, or, if your spouse dies, all estate and property go to you. Likewise after your death everything would go to your surviving spouse and any children.

Thats what I understand, but some people need lawyers to figure this out.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I know one widow did not know how to access her account or even do EFTPOS because her husband did everything, it seemed she didnt know how to even pay the bills. The car (that he drove) was also taken away because she didnt know how to drive it. She could have sold it, but the sons just took it from her and then she was all by herself and couldnt go anywhere because she lived in a steep rural property.

I find it a bit strange but her sons said she was too dependent on their dad who did everything, (they are both christians) and he treated her like a Queen.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
merged vs separate well maariage is merged but if you are seperate, then its seprate wouldnt it.
There are married couples who decide to seperate, unfortunately.

They dont get divorced as its too expensive but they actually live separately. I dont understand that but couples do that, some even live in separate countries and they need separate bank accounts in each country because.,,the currency is different!

I had one parent helper say her husband is in Korea while she lives in NZ.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
They are still married, but live apart...they take turns because of jobs and schooling...I guess it works for them....A lot of families have mum in one country and the dad in another. Especially at my new school.