Writing a research paper on 'Camp meeting movement'- Could use some help!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 15, 2013
Hello All,

As stated in the title, I'm writing a research paper of the Camp meeting movement. This happened primarily in the US and lasted into the mid 1900's. It's is still around today in some areas.

I am wondering if any of you have had personal experiences with this, what was it like, do you have any stories you would like to share or are you aware of any resources I could access, either online journals, newspapers etc... I have access to many but I wanted to approach this paper from personal experiences, with some facts of course.

This is my preliminary search and I haven't really dug into this much yet. I'm just in the information gathering stage right now.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Thank you!

Sep 15, 2013
Thank you p-ruhbein, I'm looking for some personal stories. Someone who has attended a camp meeting or maybe someone who remembers a story from a family member.

Grace and Peace!!

O

overcomer2

My preacher is 80 and started preaching at 16. He had many tent meetings, or holiness meetings. Look up AA Allen, he had many meetings. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard over the years. My Pastor worked with Oral Roberts back when he did healing revivals. There would be so many people that he could not possibly pray for all the them. They would stand in line for hours for a touch.
1906 revival started on Azuza Street in San Fransisco by a black man (I just heard this story on recording not long ago. Very interesting.
There are so many stories but here I will tell you people didn't have tv like now and when there was a holiness meeting going on, everyone went. You got there after work and stayed until 2:00am every night. Night after night people would come. They would pack the tent. They sometimes had overflow tents because the main tent would get so full. When they sang songs. They would sing the same song sometimes for 30 minutes over and over and over again. People would just cry and run to the altars and profess their sins. My preacher always refers to the 1900 - to the 60's as the Philladelphia age church spoken in scripture.

He saw people healed where a breast would just grow back on a woman who had her breast eaten away by cancer. People who had a great touch of the Lord would suddenly get up and start running around the tent and other people would catch that spirit and would run around the tents shouting with joy.

Well I hope this helps a little to show the feeling of these meetings.

Sep 15, 2013
That is the kind of information I'm looking for overcomer. Amazing!! Camp - Tent- meetings were not that big in Canada. So not a lot of personal information to pull out of people!!! Thanks. I really appreciate your stories!

Grace and Peace!