YOU SHOULD BE SORROWFUL!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AnandaHya

LOL, now that I got your attention. I wanted to talk about the two different sorrows mentioned in the Bible: godly sorrow that leads to repentance and worldly sorrow that leads to death.

What are your thoughts on it?

should we make other people sorrowful by pointing out their sin and rebuking them when they don't listen to God?

Or should we let them continue being addicted to drugs, sex, money power and others chains that bind them to this world?

Should we remind them they are sinning when they covet their neighbors things?

Should we tell them they are sinning when they complain?

Do people make up excuses for not speaking when God tells us to?

Do people make up excuses for not helping those in need?

Are we turning a blind eye to our own sin of neglect and complacency?

Do we spend enough time in prayer and repentance and learning to NOT do sinful things that grieve the Holy Spirit?

Are we double-minded and do we make God an idol along side money and our own happiness?

here a few Bible verses:

2 Corinthians 7:9-11
New King James Version (NKJV)
9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

James 4
1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet[a] you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

do you pray to add flavor to your day? or do you pray because it is in your blood and marrow?

"The praying which gives color and bent to character is no pleasant, hurried pastime. It must enter as strongly into the heart and life as Christ’s “strong crying and tears” did; must draw out the soul into an agony of desire as Paul’s did; must be an inwrought fire and force like the “effectual, fervent prayer” of James; must be of that quality which, when put into the golden censer and incensed before God, works mighty spiritual throes and revolutions."

EM Bounds

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bounds/power.IV.html

Last edited:
H

Hearer

I can't generally rebuke people, unless I have taken the plank/log/beam out of my own eye. Sometimes I also neglect to help people but I try to make it up to them and others as best I can. Sounds a bit feeble I know but the bottom line is that we should be careful when we judge others.

But I agree we must help others as much as possible. Good post, it makes us think.

A

AnandaHya

yes but Jesus did not say not to rebuke people but to be diligent and remove the sin from our life so that you and our brethren might help each other grow and become the people God means for us to be.

I find too often that verse quoted as an excuse not to grow. too many are still on milk when they should have moved on to the solid meat. Where are the teeth? why have not learned to harness and use their two edged sword? their tongue and the Word of God?

People don't even know they speak their own futures for they are their own oracles and what they speak God judges. People are careless with their words and curse their lives and themselves and then ask why darkness is overcoming them. Prayer is no longer a central focus. people add it to their day like salt instead of letting it become the blood and marrow of their lives. People go one day a week to praise God, pat themselves on the back and then forget about God for the rest of the week and think they are living holy and righteous lives.

what happened to DAILY prayer and repentance and growth in God? Can anyone teach the first principles of the oracles of God? Does anyone even know what I'm asking or referring to?

Hebrews 5:12
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

Jan 26, 2009
ever been to a place where u feel God is dealing with somthing in ur life and u feel this desire for God,hunger to pray,u don really understand wats really happening but weep cuz u feel him so close and u ask for forgivness and after tha u feel so clean..i wonder if this was the state where paul was when he was so broken and wrote For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate..could it be this is a Godly sorrow brokeness birthed by the inworking of the holy spirit and someone could even say purging..that leads to repentence,just a thought

H

Hearer

yes but Jesus did not say not to rebuke people but to be diligent and remove the sin from our life so that you and our brethren might help each other grow and become the people God means for us to be.

I find too often that verse quoted as an excuse not to grow. too many are still on milk when they should have moved on to the solid meat. Where are the teeth? why have not learned to harness and use their two edged sword? their tongue and the Word of God?

People don't even know they speak their own futures for they are their own oracles and what they speak God judges. People are careless with their words and curse their lives and themselves and then ask why darkness is overcoming them. Prayer is no longer a central focus. people add it to their day like salt instead of letting it become the blood and marrow of their lives. People go one day a week to praise God, pat themselves on the back and then forget about God for the rest of the week and think they are living holy and righteous lives.

what happened to DAILY prayer and repentance and growth in God? Can anyone teach the first principles of the oracles of God? Does anyone even know what I'm asking or referring to?

Hebrews 5:12
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
I suppose we can all rebuke each other for not loving enough. Paul wrote we must be tolerant of each other's weaknesses and patient with them:
Ephesians 4:2
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love

John and Peter of the first principles which which we need reminding of Wrote:

1. Peter 3:8
    Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
  2. 1 John 3:11
    For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
    )
  3. 1 John 3:23
    And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
  4. 1 John 4:7
    Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
  5. 1 John 4:11
    Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
  6. 1 John 4:12
    No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

S

Strong1

I do feel that, The Word has somewhat become watered down, in order to "Not hurt feelings" in a world where we have to always be politically correct....."Corrections," are deemed "judgments" And we are so much becoming "Conformed to the world"
I long for solid meat! But not all are seeking after righteousness, or higher heights in Christ...............Yeh, (schoolofyoungprophet) I do understand. Deep.

S

Strong1

I suppose we can all rebuke each other for not loving enough. Paul wrote we must be tolerant of each other's weaknesses and patient with them:
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love

Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
    For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
    )
    And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
    Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
    No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
Yes, great scripture references! Well applied

A

AnandaHya

ever been to a place where u feel God is dealing with somthing in ur life and u feel this desire for God,hunger to pray,u don really understand wats really happening but weep cuz u feel him so close and u ask for forgivness and after tha u feel so clean..i wonder if this was the state where paul was when he was so broken and wrote For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate..could it be this is a Godly sorrow brokeness birthed by the inworking of the holy spirit and someone could even say purging..that leads to repentence,just a thought
yeah that's it exactly.

I hope everyone experiences this godly sorrow and realize how broken and truly messed up this sinful world is and how many strongholds we have in our minds and hearts that we don't want to admit, give up or tear down. but we need to. we need to get rid of every thing that wars against God's will for our lives. we need to get rid of sinful lusts and desires that are more about pride and self then about giving glory to God. We need to get rid of fear and live in trust of God's love and power of forgiveness and cleansing.

which can only happen during that quiet time of prayer between you and God. why have so many people put God on hold and forget about Him except when they need a fire extinguisher to put out the fires in their lives that they ignored until it burned them? why do they think God is a band aid they can put on the shelf and "pray" to when they look down at the gangrene limb of sin they have allowed to grow and consume them?

A

Abiding

We have to be wise with a brother when we see him fall into sin, and consider his feelings. Thats clear in Gal. 6.
No man, only the Holyspirit can give the man the power to have a Godly sorrow. We must obey and do our part
but seldom do we need to rebuke, and if we do, seldom does it call for a nuclear warhead.

A

AnandaHya

)
yes we do need to love each other more, but not only love but love UNCONDITIONALLY as God loves us. people like to put strings to love but God told us freely give as we have freely been given.

A

AnandaHya

We have to be wise with a brother when we see him fall into sin, and consider his feelings. Thats clear in Gal. 6.
No man, only the Holyspirit can give the man the power to have a Godly sorrow. We must obey and do our part
but seldom do we need to rebuke, and if we do, seldom does it call for a nuclear warhead.
lol more like a lazer scapel for brain surgery?

A

AnandaHya

I do feel that, The Word has somewhat become watered down, in order to "Not hurt feelings" in a world where we have to always be politically correct....."Corrections," are deemed "judgments" And we are so much becoming "Conformed to the world"
I long for solid meat! But not all are seeking after righteousness, or higher heights in Christ...............Yeh, (schoolofyoungprophet) I do understand. Deep.
yeah I'm getting tired of the water downed stuff it makes me want to vomit. We need to stop compromising with the world and live fully for God.

I long for solid meat too, want to go hunting? ;) I'll bring my sword.