Your view on music in general.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TosinAsLeader

Thats right. You are entitled to list your belief below. However, I will reject or ignore comments condemning something or of a showy pride attitude. List your source (if any) and keep things in context.

My belief on music is pretty simple. I can listen to secular music all day and I don't feel wrong in it. I actually feel great, not all depressed when I attempt to listen to K-love. If you are new to christian music don't listen to KLOVE. You have been warned! Anyways, view music in my point of view. If you are a musician who wants to better him/herself, what would you rather do? Learn Casting Crowns, Hillsong and other self-titled names or stuff like Led Zeppelin , Metallica, Animals as Leaders, Born of Osiris, and Tool etc? Personally I would pick secular music in a heart beat. I want to give G-d my best, not a "hey if I play a G chord then a D chord then do it again and again I can make a whole album! Yeah praise the G-d I give my 100% too! No, that is just disgraceful as a whole.

My inspiration-

NASB
Matthew 6:3-4:
But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, [SUP]4 [/SUP]so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Colossians 3:16- Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

Psalms 150:4-6: Praise Him with timbrel and dancing;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe.Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with resounding cymbals.Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!

You be the judge!

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I listen to both Christian and secular music, and I don't buy into the idea that certain songs or bands are "demonic." That said, I think it is wise to avoid music that could have a negative influence. Although they may not affect our actions, they can instill sinful thoughts. For that reason I won't listen to music that is violent or sexual in nature, because I don't really need or want those kinds of scenes popping into my head.

Honestly, I sometimes wish contemporary Christian rock and electronic music sounded half as good as secular music. I'd be very pleased if there was a Christian band that had the funky bass and guitar of Red Hot Chili Peppers, or the electronic feel of Daft Punk. There are a couple Christian bands that I really enjoy (Flyleaf is very good, and Casting Crowns have a couple gems), but I'm kind of meh about most modern stuff.

Z

zaoman32

This subject always goes back to the book of Romans for me, I believe it's chapter twelve, where Paul references the vegetarian and the one who can eat meat. For the vegetarian it is a sin to eat meat, because they feel it's wrong. It's no different from music in my opinion. Some find secular music evil, and that's fine, and those who listen to both shouldn't cause a stumbling block for those people.

I really just love music in general. God has spoken to me through all different kinds of music and bands, christian and non-christian, but I do feel a breath of fresh air when I dig into something that glorify's God unapologetically. In regards to being a musician looking to improve his craft, it is a sad thing that many christian bands lack in musicianship, especially more recent bands from the past 15 years or so.

J

Jordache

Music is my life. I think I would die without it. Ok, so perhaps I'm a bit dramatic, or perhaps I'm just being honest. I can see the eyes rolling now. Here's the things though. It's not about music. It about connecting with God. Pardon me good music connoisseurs but that is a matter of the heart rather than the ears or the mind. Music for me is connecting with my creator. It's about the heart. That is why I still love children's music. I could sing "This little Light of Mine" for hours. For this reason, I prefer Christian music over secular. Don't get me wrong, I love some secular bands... But I prefer the heart behind Christian bands... But there is also a difference between Christian bands and Christian music. I love Christian bands and I love their music that is uplifting and real. Let me date myself here. I love "Superchick". Some of their stuff is downright depressing from some perspectives. Thus, there are times when I just can't listen to it. But it's also REAL in a Godly... Like David. Their songs are often along the lines of "life suck, but Gods bigger."
I agree that Christian artists get easy albums. If you can sing (or sort of sing... Especially if you can do that constipated male vocal or fake British accent that's so popular) and play 4 chords, you need no other gifts or desires. I think it's sad, but I still enjoy the worship aspect of it regardless of how good it sounds.
There's a woman at my church who records music. She's really hard to listen to from a human perspective, but she's incredibly annoyed. I can't stand the way she sounds, but I love her heart and that makes ER offering beautiful.

Z

zaoman32

Music is my life. I think I would die without it. Ok, so perhaps I'm a bit dramatic, or perhaps I'm just being honest. I can see the eyes rolling now. Here's the things though. It's not about music. It about connecting with God. Pardon me good music connoisseurs but that is a matter of the heart rather than the ears or the mind. Music for me is connecting with my creator. It's about the heart. That is why I still love children's music. I could sing "This little Light of Mine" for hours. For this reason, I prefer Christian music over secular. Don't get me wrong, I love some secular bands... But I prefer the heart behind Christian bands... But there is also a difference between Christian bands and Christian music. I love Christian bands and I love their music that is uplifting and real. Let me date myself here. I love "Superchick". Some of their stuff is downright depressing from some perspectives. Thus, there are times when I just can't listen to it. But it's also REAL in a Godly... Like David. Their songs are often along the lines of "life suck, but Gods bigger."
I agree that Christian artists get easy albums. If you can sing (or sort of sing... Especially if you can do that constipated male vocal or fake British accent that's so popular) and play 4 chords, you need no other gifts or desires. I think it's sad, but I still enjoy the worship aspect of it regardless of how good it sounds.
There's a woman at my church who records music. She's really hard to listen to from a human perspective, but she's incredibly annoyed. I can't stand the way she sounds, but I love her heart and that makes ER offering beautiful.
couldn't agree more with this response, and love the fact that you mentioned superchick, got to see them when they first came out at an ATF event.

T

twofeet

Music has always been a big part of my life. My first instrument was a cello and I played in an orchestra Then I got into Rock music, saw many bands like Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Scorpions...then I became a christian. The Lord "took" music off me a while as it was too much of an idol in my life but when it became what it should be, he gave it me back. Now I listen to all sorts and enjoy it for what it is...hearing the melodies, the different harmonies, the way the instruments work together. My eldest son is a Dubstep and Drum n Bass DJ always mixing new stuff in the house and my youngest son is a drummer in death metal band. The great thing about it is many of my sons friends come to the house to listen to new sounds and it gives me a great opportunity to share the Lord with them...which in this house is the most natural thing in the world! Gospel sharing and praying to the sounds of Dubstep in the background!

T

TosinAsLeader

I listen to both Christian and secular music, and I don't buy into the idea that certain songs or bands are "demonic." That said, I think it is wise to avoid music that could have a negative influence. Although they may not affect our actions, they can instill sinful thoughts. For that reason I won't listen to music that is violent or sexual in nature, because I don't really need or want those kinds of scenes popping into my head.

Honestly, I sometimes wish contemporary Christian rock and electronic music sounded half as good as secular music. I'd be very pleased if there was a Christian band that had the funky bass and guitar of Red Hot Chili Peppers, or the electronic feel of Daft Punk. There are a couple Christian bands that I really enjoy (Flyleaf is very good, and Casting Crowns have a couple gems), but I'm kind of meh about most modern stuff.

Ah yes, a Red Hot Chili Peppers band in the christian realm would change the genre forever!

T

TosinAsLeader

Music has always been a big part of my life. My first instrument was a cello and I played in an orchestra Then I got into Rock music, saw many bands like Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Scorpions...then I became a christian. The Lord "took" music off me a while as it was too much of an idol in my life but when it became what it should be, he gave it me back. Now I listen to all sorts and enjoy it for what it is...hearing the melodies, the different harmonies, the way the instruments work together. My eldest son is a Dubstep and Drum n Bass DJ always mixing new stuff in the house and my youngest son is a drummer in death metal band. The great thing about it is many of my sons friends come to the house to listen to new sounds and it gives me a great opportunity to share the Lord with them...which in this house is the most natural thing in the world! Gospel sharing and praying to the sounds of Dubstep in the background!
Death metal? \m/ you should send me a link! I know promoters.

Z

zaoman32

Ah yes, a Red Hot Chili Peppers band in the christian realm would change the genre forever!
There's a christian band called Hyperstatic Union that is very Red Hot Chili Peppers sounding. Given not quite as talented, but the same funk-rock style is there, they're worth checking out for sure.

I

iTOREtheSKY

When I was a noob christian I was still listening to secular music,then other more "mature" christians kinda started making me feel convicted or bad about listening to it. So I got rid of all my secular records & tapes & only listened to christian bands. Back then there still were no metal christian bands other than stryper & I recall only having stryper for like 5 months to listen to. LOL
Then I discovered deliverance,circle of dust,vengeance rising,believer,tourniquet...which was a lifesaver! I think I pretty much stopped listening to secular music for maybe a few years or so..I even semi-lost touch with the secular scene as to what alot of my old fav bands were up to.
After much deliberation,prayer,advice from other christians outside my church circle,etc...I finally felt at peace listening to secular music again & didn't feel condemned by others or my own heart. Myself as well as many other when they first get saved,tend to go a bit overboard & extreme,and I am sure in some cases,this may be needed so that the individual can really get their focus on what's important.
I consider music to be "my life" but to be honest with you,at this point,I have so many tunes in my head memorized that if God said "Jim,throw out yer' cd's tomorrow",it wouldn't bother me. I am always making music in my head anyways.LOL
I thank God for music,secular,christian,whatever...it's all inspired by him in the end...it's not evil,even the people who sing about horrible things or even when they sing against God in their music. I laugh at that,because I think to myself..."Yer' so stupid,if it weren't for the God you profess to hate so much,you wouldn't be able to stand there & sing yer' fat head off".
I say rock on! If you feel convicted in your heart or feel like listening to secular music draws you away from your walk with Christ,then stop listening to it...if not,then don't. Just don't make music your idol. Ya' never know...God may ask you to stop listening to your christian music someday too. Will you be able to lay that down?

T

TosinAsLeader

Ya' never know...God may ask you to stop listening to your christian music someday too. Will you be able to lay that down?

may I use this kind sir?

D

DannyC

To me music is an important art form, and art is one of the most important things in my life, I am quite broad on the definition of art, but I feel restricting yourself to one branch of it, would be something I wouldn't advise.