Zechariah – A move back to trusting in Gods power.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

chancer

Zechariah is a contemporary of Haggia - their initial message was to call the Jewish people into completing the task of building the temple. Zechariah’s initial word are a call back to ‘the Lord of hosts’ which means the God of all heavens and Earth's armies. Ch1:3 “Return to me,” Says the Lord of hosts. Zechariah has 7 visions, to aid Jerusalem’s steps and to declare judgement.

Zechariah’s ministry starts in 520 B.C making it postexilic. I want to paint a bit of context but to cut a long story short, some 50,000 people returned to Jerusalem, led by Zerubbabel and Joshua Ezra Ch2. The work gets to a good start Ezra Ch3, despite the fear of the people around them Ch3:3, they build and alter to the Lord and they get to work rebuilding the temple. They have received the vision, they know their call and purpose and even in the midst of fear and a feeling of adversity, they get to a good start.

Within Ezra Ch4 opposition begins. This is where I want to cut in and tell you something profoundly true. When We start to take the right steps, and walk within the vision, will and purpose of the Lord … We will face opposition. There are no maybes or buts, this is assured. If life for you is 100 percent ‘plain sailing’ I would check which boat you travelling in. I'm not saying this to ‘put fear’ within your heart or be condemning, I’m pointing it out so you have the opportunity to put your trust in Jesus through the difficulties of walking the narrow path. Trusting and walking with Jesus doesn't mean you won’t struggle or get it wrong, it means that when you do you know that God is the reason your able to continue.

When opposition comes, with it comes oppression. Just like the Jewish people, before we know it our good start and great intentions have become nothing more than broken promises, lethargy, apathy and all manner of suffering. If we face the fight in our own strength, we have already lost the battle. Only through relying on the King, can we take the kingdom. There’s too much to go into, because I will bore the readers, but let’s look at how God steps in, and what He says that shows us the way into effective, powerful Christian living.

The people had become discouraged, disinterested and dissatisfied. These are all fruits of relying on our own strength, facing opposition and giving up. We become oppressed, depressed and anxious, we start to doubt the promises God has made and wander aimlessly through life, no longer fulfilling our God given purpose. The vision seems to fade and His voice becomes unclear.

I believe the first step to ‘getting back on track’ is by hearing the word of the Lord of heavens armies, to the people in Jerusalem, and to us. As governor of Judah Zerubbabel is responsible for rebuilding the temple and finishing God’s ordained will. He hears the word of the Lord Ch4:6 “Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit” The Greek word for might here is Chayil (Cha-yeel) which basically represents human might or power. When we are facing opposition, when everything seems against us, we do not give up hope, we do not give up God’s plan, we give up control and hand over trust to the one who can sustain us and give us hope through the power of His spirit at work in us.

Sep 4, 2012
Very nice. Thank you.

One thing that stands out in my mind about that period is that their first priority was to build GOD a residence, ie, the temple, and not a city for themselves. In like manner, the tabernacle in the wilderness was built before the Israelites entered into the promised land. And so today, also, the temple of GOD made with living stones is being built first (over a period of nearly 2000 years, so far) before the kingdom is established fully.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Just a minor note, the word chayil (might) is Hebrew not Greek.

C

chancer

haha yeah, sorry my heads a bit worn recently, I realise that Greeks New Testament...

C

chancer

Thanks for pointing it out.

M

MissyTwoShoes

When we are facing opposition, when everything seems against us, we do not give up hope, we do not give up God’s plan, we give up control and hand over trust to the one who can sustain us and give us hope through the power of His spirit at work in us.
True dat! It's good to remember to lay our burdens of worry, fear and uncertainty in God's hands and let Him clear our minds and direct us in the way we should go. And to not just give up! Thank you for the encouragement, Chancer :)

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
This is very true, I constantly feel when I take a step forward, I take two steps back. As of late, Holy Spirit has been showing and teaching me to rely on Him and less on myself. A part of it means breaking habits and patterns of thought.
But I find, when I've taken those two steps back, God has always been there when I've gotten up and taken the other step forward. He will never abandon His children though at times it 'feels' like He has but we live by faith, not by sight.

C

chancer

and also its 8 visions :p