Zechariah 13 - Concerning Prophecy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CrimsonFlames

Zechariah 13

New International Version (NIV)

1 “On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity. 2 “On that day, I will banish the names of the idols from the land, and they will be remembered no more,” declares the LORD Almighty. “I will remove both the prophets and the spirit of impurity from the land. 3 And if anyone still prophesies, their father and mother, to whom they were born, will say to them, ‘You must die, because you have told lies in the LORD’s name.’ Then their own parents will stab the one who prophesies.

A

AnandaHya

7 “Awake, sword, against my shepherd,
against the man who is close to me!”
declares the LORD Almighty.
“Strike the shepherd,
and the sheep will be scattered,
and I will turn my hand against the little ones.
8 In the whole land,” declares the LORD,
“two-thirds will be struck down and perish;
yet one-third will be left in it.
9 This third I will put into the fire;
I will refine them like silver
and test them like gold.
They will call on my name
and I will answer them;
I will say, ‘They are my people,’
and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”

C

CrimsonFlames

7 &#8220;Awake, sword, against my shepherd, <---- Jesus is the Shepard
against the man who is close to me!&#8221; <---- Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father
&#8220;Strike the shepherd, <---- Jesus was crucified
and the sheep will be scattered, <---- And the flock was certainly scattered
8 In the whole land,&#8221; declares the LORD,
&#8220;two-thirds will be struck down and perish; <---- Many Jews were struck down by the Romans., some were Zealots and others Martyrs
9 This third I will put into the fire; <---- Baptism of Fire as spoken of by John
and test them like gold.
and I will answer them;
I will say, &#8216;They are my people,&#8217;
and they will say, &#8216;The LORD is our God.&#8217;&#8221; <---- That he is

Just making sure we are clear about when exactly Zechariah 13 is speaking of.., so the verses leading up to this passage say their will be no more prophecy. And if anyone still prophesies, their father and mother, to whom they were born, will say to them, &#8216;You must die, because you have told lies in the LORD&#8217;s name.

Am I missing something here.., this seems to say whoever thinks to prophesy should be put out from our midst

R

RachelBibleStudent

Zechariah 13

New International Version (NIV)

1 “On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity. 2 “On that day, I will banish the names of the idols from the land, and they will be remembered no more,” declares the LORD Almighty. “I will remove both the prophets and the spirit of impurity from the land. 3 And if anyone still prophesies, their father and mother, to whom they were born, will say to them, ‘You must die, because you have told lies in the LORD’s name.’ Then their own parents will stab the one who prophesies.
i don't know if this could refer to the present time...have all of these things been fulfilled already?

have the names of the idols been banished from the land? are they remembered no more? has the spirit of impurity been removed from the land?

C

CrimsonFlames

i don't know if this could refer to the present time...have all of these things been fulfilled already?

have the names of the idols been banished from the land? are they remembered no more? has the spirit of impurity been removed from the land?
Yes., I know what you are saying and have spent the day remodeling my whole idea of Eschatology based on what God allows me to see and not what others say.., this is going to take some time but it does seem perhaps this is where rightly dividing the word applies

Its just curious how the one chapter begins one way., gives and indication of the period Zechariah is speaking of., however the beginning doesnt seem to fit the time indicated you may be correct

R

RachelBibleStudent

from looking at the context in my bible...it seems like this unit of prophecy actually begins in zechariah 12:1 and goes all the way to the end of the book

maybe looking at the whole thing will help...

C

CrimsonFlames

from looking at the context in my bible...it seems like this unit of prophecy actually begins in zechariah 12:1 and goes all the way to the end of the book

maybe looking at the whole thing will help...
I read all of Zecharaiah today., 2-3 times lol.., 11-12& 13 maybe as much as 5-6 times rofl

Also read over a few of the other minor prophets aswell on a fishing expedition for any bridging passages

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Yes., I know what you are saying and have spent the day remodeling my whole idea of Eschatology based on what God allows me to see and not what others say.., this is going to take some time but it does seem perhaps this is where rightly dividing the word applies

Its just curious how the one chapter begins one way., gives and indication of the period Zechariah is speaking of., however the beginning doesnt seem to fit the time indicated you may be correct
If you do a study of the destruction of Tyre the same prophetic method is applied. It speaks about something coming soon and then immediately speaks about something happening later in an unspecified passage of time. And if you pay attention to it closely you can differentiate the two prophecies that seem like one. This may be similar.

Oct 12, 2011
7 “Awake, sword, against my shepherd, <---- Jesus is the Shepard
against the man who is close to me!” <---- Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father
“Strike the shepherd, <---- Jesus was crucified
“two-thirds will be struck down and perish; <---- Many Jews were struck down by the Romans., some were Zealots and others Martyrs
9 This third I will put into the fire; <---- Baptism of Fire as spoken of by John
and test them like gold.
and I will answer them;
and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’” <---- That he is

Just making sure we are clear about when exactly Zechariah 13 is speaking of.., so the verses leading up to this passage say their will be no more prophecy. And if anyone still prophesies, their father and mother, to whom they were born, will say to them, ‘You must die, because you have told lies in the LORD’s name.

Am I missing something here.., this seems to say whoever thinks to prophesy should be put out from our midst

It never ceases to amaze me how we can see things so differently..

Awake, sword, against my shepherd, <---- Jesus is the Shepherd
against the man who is close to me!” <---- Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father
“Strike the shepherd, <---- Jesus was crucified
and I will turn my hand against the little ones. <------ The ignoble

“two-thirds will be struck down and perish; <---- 1/3 Soul and 1/3 Body
1/3 Spirit
I will refine them like silver <----- Through His Redemptive work
and test them like gold. <----- Through His Nature and Character
They will call on my name <----- Out of His Nature Character and Authority
and I will answer them;
and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’” <---- Because of the Redemptive Work of The Cross
They are now become His, and He has become Theirs.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011

There is no such thing as Baptism with Fire.

I struggled with that same concept for awhile since it is nowhere else in the Bible. And if you read 1 John 5 there is no mention of it. Which is weird, cause it should have been there if it existed. It is not mentioned in John 1, which mentions the entire process from getting saved to entering the kingdom of God and seeing heaven open and YET still NO baptism of fire.

Then I found a nice program that gives the Greek in the order it was written and it made sense to me. I am going to try and write it for you, so you can perceive it for yourself.

egO (I) men(INDEED) baptizO(AM-DIPizING) humas(YOU p) eis(IN) metanoian(after-MIND/repentance) ho(THE-One) de(YET) opisO(BEHIND/after) mou(ME) erchomenos(COMING) ischuroteros(STRONGER) mou(OF-ME) estin(IS) hou(OF-WHOM) ouk(NOT) eimi(I-AM) hikanos(enough) ta(the) hupadEmata(sandals) bastasai(to-BEAR) autos(He) humas(You p) baptisei(SHALL BE BAPTISING) en(IN) pneumati(SPIRIT) hagiO(HOLY) kai(and) puri(to-FIRE)

Now if you look at it... it says kind of the same...but if you look closely at the root words you would understand.

Jesus baptise you in the Spirit, Holy and Pure (cleansed)

So just a thought.

Feb 9, 2010
There is no need for there to be prophesy at this time for prophesy will be fulfilled concerning Israel,and it is the time for the kingdom to be restored to Israel in the millennial reign of Christ,and all Gentile governments will be no more.

21And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them 22So the house of Israel shall know that I am the LORD their God from that day and forward.
23And the heathen shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them, and gave them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword.
24According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions have I done unto them, and hid my face from them.
25Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob, and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy name;
26After that they have borne their shame, and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me, when they dwelt safely in their land, and none made them afraid.
27When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
28Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there.
29Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD(Ezekiel 39:21-29).

28Fear thou not, O Jacob my servant, saith the LORD: for I am with thee; for I will make a full end of all the nations whither I have driven thee: but I will not make a full end of thee, but correct thee in measure; yet will I not leave thee wholly unpunished(Jeremiah 46:28).

6When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power(Acts 1:6-7).

The kingdom will be restored to Israel in the millennial reign of Christ and all Gentile governments will not be in operation but put down,and Jesus will rule out of Jerusalem with His saints over the Gentiles who God spared at the battle of armageddon.