zucchini cake

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
Hey all - zucchini season is a-starting! Here's something I submitted to a recipe site last year. It's a great way to use up that zucchini that the neighbors keep giving you. :D

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar, not packed

3 eggs

1 tablespoon water, or more if needed

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups shredded zucchini

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Topping:

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

[h=3]Directions[/h]
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan (such as a Bundt®).
  • Sift flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice together in a bowl. Cream butter and vegetable shortening together in a separate large bowl until thoroughly combined; beat in white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat eggs, water, and vanilla extract into the shortening mixture, followed by the flour mixture. Gently stir in zucchini and 1/2 cup walnuts. If batter seems dry, mix in 1 more tablespoon water.
  • Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar until it has dissolved and small bubbles appear in the mixture. Stir 1/2 cup walnuts into the brown sugar mixture.
  • Spoon brown sugar-walnut mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan and pour cake batter over the mixture.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert over a serving plate to reveal the brown sugar topping.

Oct 31, 2011
This sounds wonderful. Here is our family's answer to all those zucchinis
KATHY'S ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE​
Slice and parboil 2 Lb zucchini. Let set in a drainer until nicely drained.
Oil a 9x13 casserole dish.
Add and mix: 1 lb grated Jack Cheese
3 to 5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Add hot chilies according to your taste: 1 small can green chilies or 1 sliced jalapeno chili or 2 sliced Anahiems.

Bake at 350 until set.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I love zuchini cake!

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
This sounds wonderful. Here is our family's answer to all those zucchinis
KATHY'S ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE​
Slice and parboil 2 Lb zucchini. Let set in a drainer until nicely drained.
Oil a 9x13 casserole dish.
Add and mix: 1 lb grated Jack Cheese
3 to 5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Add hot chilies according to your taste: 1 small can green chilies or 1 sliced jalapeno chili or 2 sliced Anahiems.

Bake at 350 until set.
Will have to try that this summer! My youngest like spicy, so I may even use pepper jack! :)

I love zuchini cake!
Ricky - if you try this, you might want to check the cooking time. I use a stone bundt type pan, which may take longer than the glass or metal kinds.

I submitted this to "allrecipes.com" and it is under zucchini nut cake. I am a little annoyed with them because they made up an intro/back story that made me sound all housewifey. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
CatHerder - I'd like to try this, but don't want to use the vegetable shortening. Can you make a recommendation for a substitution or an adjustment?

Thanks. :cool:

Hey all - zucchini season is a-starting! Here's something I submitted to a recipe site last year. It's a great way to use up that zucchini that the neighbors keep giving you. :D
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar, not packed

3 eggs

1 tablespoon water, or more if needed

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups shredded zucchini

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Topping:

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan (such as a Bundt®).
  • Sift flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice together in a bowl. Cream butter and vegetable shortening together in a separate large bowl until thoroughly combined; beat in white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat eggs, water, and vanilla extract into the shortening mixture, followed by the flour mixture. Gently stir in zucchini and 1/2 cup walnuts. If batter seems dry, mix in 1 more tablespoon water.
  • Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar until it has dissolved and small bubbles appear in the mixture. Stir 1/2 cup walnuts into the brown sugar mixture.
  • Spoon brown sugar-walnut mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan and pour cake batter over the mixture.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert over a serving plate to reveal the brown sugar topping.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
CatHerder - I'd like to try this, but don't want to use the vegetable shortening. Can you make a recommendation for a substitution or an adjustment?

Thanks. :cool:
I've been using coconut oil in things lately. That would probably go well in this. I don't blame you for avoiding shortening. If you go with coconut oil, let me know how it turns out! ;)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I've never heard of zucchini being used in cake..lol..

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
It's like the bread only better!

P

purple39

That sounds delicious. Cant wait to give it a try.

S

skylove7

This sounds too good