Can you love your enemy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wordhelpsme

At Matthew 5:43-47 Jesus states:

"You heard that it was said: 'You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.
However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you,
So that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.
For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing?
And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?

Because of the increase of lawlessness, in Christian and non-Christian religions alike, many feel it is their GOD GIVEN RIGHT to return evil. The Bible teaches the opposite as shown in the scriptures above. Although turning the other cheek may seem difficult at present, the results afterwards can bring joy, in that you pleased God and the individual inflecting the evils can have a change of heart.

Christians are worldwide.

Some Christian religions are infused with politics, ethnicity and/or nationalism. This is not backed by God who makes it rain on both the righteous and unrighteous. He does not put a country, race or a political entity into consideration for his acceptance. (Acts 10:34; 35) Quite the opposite. These divisive tools can only cause a division between humans and between God. Being unnecessarily involved in them has caused violence, hatred and Christian division. It is exactly what God does not want.

What did Jesus do? Follow his steps.

Jesus taught the truth about God, many listened but some turned against him. This did not stop him from sharing his life giving message with all, including opposers. (Mark 12:13-34; 1 Peter 2:21-23) He knew that some might change their ways. This is a key reason we want to show love and forgive our enemies.

The night of his unjust arrest Jesus showed love for his enemies when he healed one of his captors who was struck with Peters sword.

Our Creator has told us to love and the vengeance belongs to him. He sees the whole picture, where as we have limited vision and see as it pertains to our feelings. It requires trust in our Creator, Jehovah, to take care of the matter.
Deuteronomy 32:35; Romans 12:19

C

chubbena

In Ezekiel it is satan or lucifer walked in the garden of God , Cherub does that ring a bell

No man is a cherub
1. King of Tyre in Ezekiel 28
a. In the context it's not mentioned whether he's Satan or Lucifer. Ezekiel 28:2 said he was but a man. Was he a cherub who later turned into a man? I just don't know.
b. Verses 7-8 said foreigners will bring him to a violent death but we know in Revelation that Satan will be thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented forever. I'm not sure if it's the same incidence.
c. Verse 18 said God has reduced him to ashes on the ground (already dead) but we know Satan is well alive and kicking.
2. King of Babylon in Isaiah 14
a. He's not king of Tyre.
b. Per verse 15 he's already in the grave.
So how could Lucifer, the king of Babylon, be Satan unless we first assumed he is?

C

chubbena

My last post appeared to be off topic for a reason.
It's a response to post #322 in which my brothers Homwardbound's answer "Lucifer from free choice" to IsDaniel's question "who created hate?"

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My problem too. When I am subscribed to a topic, I get it in my email, click on it, and answer to the one I have been taken to without paying attention to the OP. I do remind others to stay on topic, but most of the time I caught up in the whirlpool of conversation just like any other..

My last post appeared to be off topic for a reason.
It's a response to post #322 in which my brothers Homwardbound's answer "Lucifer from free choice" to IsDaniel's question "who created hate?"

Jul 26, 2013
If you truly love your enemies, then give them the same salvation you did not deserve. Whether one is circumcised or not avails nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. That being to love one another as He loved us!

H

Hydro

Dan, Good point #458
Think that the Abrahamic God necessarily has modality.
So that he can switch from Love to Punishment anger judgement
as need be. Funny coincidence that this is also how man operates
his life.

Fact is that you cannot love something you fear. try it! Have you ever?
But the Word says to fear God? How are we to Love that God in return
for the conditional love offered? It just becomes a deal, where is the Love?

Love is not a modality that can be switched on and off at will by those wishing to partake.
It's operates outside of will and conscious mind chatter.
Forcing (commanding) me to love someone is like commanding someone to laugh and seem authentic.

Briefly, God is not lost, and neither are we lost or separated from him. The more completely we are able to
see God in everything (love everything state of being) the more completely will the one God in all things
respond to us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B

blueorchidjd

I feel that a person can love their enemies and not have to compromise their conviction.
I mean we're all supposed to filter our thoughts anyway? LOL.

Mar 4, 2013
I feel that a person can love their enemies and not have to compromise their conviction.
I agree, and even more, to compromise our convictions is not loving God's way. Loving God's way is keeping those convictions according to God's will. We are to love others as Christ loves us, and that is to do all we can to separate the sin from the sinner by shining our light as to expose identified sin, not in our own opinion, but by the Word of God. Jesus said we are the light of the world. To love others is to let the light shine on darkness. That's not judging with condemnation, that's judging with discernment. They might even hate us more if we do that, but they crucified Jesus for loving others in that manner. Follow suite, and expect to be hated by some, and thanked by others.
With love, Just-me

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
To love one's enemies will never compromise faith if we keep in mind that we are not to pray for what they do for this is participating in their sins. We pray for their salvation, and this is love.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
God bless you in all wisdom and riches in Christ. You have wealth in heaven.

Matthew 6:19-22 (KJV)
[SUP]19 [/SUP]Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
[SUP]20 [/SUP]But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
[SUP]21 [/SUP]For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
[SUP]22 [/SUP]The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
Thank you and all this is shown to each that believe, God shows this, and not to be proud or boastful of, rather thankful, beyond measure at least is what I see in the Spirit of God Father of Christ and our Father through Christ now
It floors me every time to see what Christ has done for us, and we had nothing to do with it.
God did this out of Mercy, time maybe to just appreciate it, and not take it fro granted

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
A couple of months ago I started a thread called "I'm sick of arguing." It ended up with an argument severe enough to be closed down. So when I become evasive, that might be one of the reasons. I just got burnt out. After beating my head against the wall of purposeful rejection of not wanting to see the truth, I wound up ignoring some, and then busied myself in writing a book, and now I am into writing about the Feast of Tabernacles. Some people just refuse to stop and comprehend something that is against what they have learned as supposed true doctrine. When other scripture that jeopardizes that doctrine, the arguing starts with a stiff-necked defense, and reconciliation and edification is obliterated and crucified putting Jesus to an open shame.

Hebrews 6:4-6 (KJV)
[SUP]4 [/SUP]For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
[SUP]5 [/SUP]And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
[SUP]6 [/SUP]If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
I still contribute where I feel it will be learning and instruction of the real truth. I am saddened by the refusal to grow in the teaching of the Spirit, and how ALL scripture applies. Some will inwardly hate this verse when they wrongly divide the truth.

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
[SUP]16 [/SUP]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Some will say the Spirit teaches them today, without the law, and the Law of Moses doesn’t apply in spiritual matters. That is so very wrong to have that mindset. It is a willful stalemate. If we are Spirit led, then we will be subject to the law, and understand its rightful place in the Christian walk. I read that the law, and commandments are spiritual, holy, just, and good. That’s Paul speaking. Yet some will ask; “Who are you going to follow, Paul or Moses?” My answer is both! Hello?

Romans 8:6-7 (KJV)
[SUP]6 [/SUP]For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
I’ll come right out with it after saying all I have. I question with all gravity the indwelling Spirit in those who talk with rhetoric demeaning the Mosaic law. I personally don’t believe they have it, cause they cannot grasp it.
There is a midget and a giant standing next to each other.
Which one looking down the road sees further?
Right the giant correct?
Now if the midget is out atop on the Giants shoulder who sees further? The Midget right?
So this is how it is The Giant, (First Testament) ( Midget) The Second completion of the first Teatament
They do go together, to be able to see all the way home to Christ in Heaven making constant intercession fro all the Saints (believer's) in Christ as the way, the truth and the new life found in the resurrected Christ for us here today, in order to walk as he walked in 100% dependence on Father through the Holy Spirit of Father that he has sent us on the very first day anyone believed.
Thanks

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
What I said may not be taken as a loving gesture, yet I would say when the day ends, and we are no longer in this world, will we question our own motives in retrospect, if we didn't do all we could to help others by shedding light on darkness. Do we not want to hear from Jesus "well done," despite being hated? I would say the choice is obvious, but one cannot do their job and think they will escape ridicule.
Hebrews 2:3 how shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
Hebrews 10:28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

I think time to appreciate, for none of us deserve Father's Mercy given through Son

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
praying the book god has got you n turns out to Father's glory as I know that to be your intent

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
And what is laying down ones life? Many things probably.

For example: When a spiritual leader allows a new believer to express a revelation new to them; the leader 'lays down his life' by not further expounding on the subject. Therefore not outshining the new one. Get it?:)
Wow, thank you I needed to hear that. Chewing down that food for thought

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Dan, Good point #458
Think that the Abrahamic God necessarily has modality.
So that he can switch from Love to Punishment anger judgement
as need be. Funny coincidence that this is also how man operates
his life.

Fact is that you cannot love something you fear. try it! Have you ever?
But the Word says to fear God? How are we to Love that God in return
for the conditional love offered? It just becomes a deal, where is the Love?

Love is not a modality that can be switched on and off at will by those wishing to partake.
It's operates outside of will and conscious mind chatter.
Forcing (commanding) me to love someone is like commanding someone to laugh and seem authentic.

Briefly, God is not lost, and neither are we lost or separated from him. The more completely we are able to
see God in everything (love everything state of being) the more completely will the one God in all things
respond to us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally do not see God ever responding to me or anyone, seeing how God is the creator
We are the creation correct?
So then is it right that god responds to us?
And if God responded to any of us born here of the flesh, would that make us God over God if God responds to us?
So what makes sense to respond to God or try to get God to respond to us the creation?

Just thinking God is not a vending machine

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Yes I agree and where should we filter them at, to?

T

tripsin

If I could only put in words the all awesomeness of how my soul tingles to tears when I think of the moment when I am before my God and He approaches me with open arms and say, "Well done", then perhaps I could share this hope even more.
Praise the Lord!