Counting miracles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

piper27

This leaves a few questions:
Can anyone add to the list?
Does anyone disagree that these were all miracles (I have heard the catch of fish questioned as perhaps an observer from shore can see from a better angle)?
The big question: how many are in the "many"?
And a new one I did not raise previously, "how does this list relate to the lists of Elijah and Elsha, who actually worked some other types of miracles as well, and before the work of salvation had been completed?
And we might also mention cases where non-Christians had worked miracles, like the magicians in Pharaoh's palace, and the Jewish exorcists (Jesus said "if I cast out demons by Beezelbub, by whom do your people cast them out").
Shall we list the miracles of Elisha and Elijah? Maybe makes some references?
How shall we include miracles, like magic, that indead occur?

P

piper27

Doesn't Elisha get a double portion??

Lets start with Elijahs (see if Jesus performed similar ones)
-muliplies flour and oil
-raise from death, the widows son
-destroys soldiers with lightening
-shut up the skies, then called down rain from the skies
-defeats Baals profits
-parts River Jordon
-acsended to heaven via chariot

Any more??

Elisha should have many more...
-he parted the Jordon
-cleaned poison out of his soup
-made his axe head float
-raised a child from the dead
-healed a woman?
-had his attackers stopped by bears
-healed some men -- nahaam?
-prophesyed victory
-filled the womans containers with oil

Which ones am I missing?

some of these are kinda familiar.....:)

K

kenisyes

Jesus, Elijah and Elisha all multiplied food, raised or healed. Those are the common ones among the three people. But I suspect they are also the most common of human needs, and I bet if we checked the prayer forum threads, they would be the most commonly prayed for (healing and provision of daily needs).

Is stopping a storm related to shutting up the sky from rain? Jesus once forbade his disciples from calling down fire from the sky, as Elijah did to defeat the prophets of Baal, and to destroy the soldiers.

I am not certain Elijah worked the miracle of the fiery chariot. I think the miracle was that Elijah knew what Elisha could see in the whirlwind, which is how he really went up.

Elijah seemed to have a gift for weather control. Did you ever notice that every time Moses used his staff, the wind changed? If Elijah parted the Jordan as Moses parted the Red Sea, with a wind change, then all the miracles he worked, other than the first two lines you list, are weather related.

I note a curious thing in the healing of Naaman. II Kings 5:11, Naaman gives what he expected, and it sounds like what healers do today. Naaman presumably had only had experience with pagan healers, so it is interesting that this is a report of how they did their "ministry". There is certainly a commonality of sorts. The Wisemen found Jesus through astrology, Simon Magus wanted to buy the apostle's power, and the Pharoah's magicians could duplicate some of the powers of Moses' staff. The servant girl who told fortunes in Acts was useful for finding cheap produce at the market, thus provision of food.

In terms of numbers, Elijah and Elisha seem to be running less than 10 in a lifetime, Jesus had more than one specific miracle per month during His ministry. As you have already pointed out, there are Christians whose ministry seems to have many more. My wife listed 10 in her book of miracles in her life, plus a general chapter on healing, with 6 of "many" examples, although what she recorded is not the same consideration as what God had recorded in Scripture. Her ministry was not one of miracles, so they were just incidental to it.