Distinctives of Dispensationalism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 19, 2013
I think you completely misunderstand the context and contrast in these verses.
The entire old covenant is contrasted with the new covenant.
Agreed.

In the context of the letter addressing Hebrews, who were considering compromising their faith by returning to Judaism and the old covenant in order to gain relief from persecution by their family and friends, the writer warns them that to trade their spiritual birthright for temporary ease in this world as did Esau (12:16), would deprive them of Christ's blessing (12:17).

That is the context in which he presents the contrast between the Sinaitic (Old) Covenant
and the New Covenant.

18For you have not come to [a mountain] that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind, 19and to the blast of a trumpet and the sound of words which [sound was such that] those who heard begged that no further word be spoken to them. 20For they could not bear the command, "IF EVEN A BEAST TOUCHES THE MOUNTAIN, IT WILL BE STONED." 21And so terrible was the sight, [that] Moses said, "I AM FULL OF FEAR and trembling."

The entire description above contrasts the OT, Moses, Sinai, Law. What follows is a clear description of the new, the Church.
22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of [the] righteous made perfect, 24and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than [the blood] of Abel.

The general assembly and church of the firstborn ones are the saints the Hebrews knew that had already died since the Church had been founded at Pentecost. The idea that the entirety of OT saints are somehow the firstborn ones does not do justice to the context, the clear contrast from v. 22 "But you have come", and the sense of the text and the meaning of the word firstborn.
The OT saints can in no way be firstborn ones because they were before Christ! Isn't this clear from the text?
The firstborn are the ones who first believe in Christ, the mediator of the new covenant.
Nope. . .that's a false dichotomy from inadequate understanding of what is meant by
"church of the firstborn."
(Too much focus on OT prophecy, and not enough on the typology of the NT gospel?)

"Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord." (Lk 2:23)

God bought back (redeemed) from the destroying angel all the firstborn of Israel,
both men and animals in the tenth plague (Ex 12:21-29).
Because God purchased them from death, they were his by right of purchase
(Ex13:1, 12-15, 22:29).

Therefore, the firstborn animals were consecrated (given over to God) by sacrifice
(Ex 13:15),
unless it was an unclean animal which was either redeemed (bought back) or destroyed
(Ex 13:13, 34:20).
And the firstborn sons were consecrated to God for full-time service to him (Ex 13:2).

God then substituted the Levites and their livestock for consecration to his full-time service
in place of the firstborn sons of Israel and their first-born animals (Nu 3:9-13, 41, 44-51,
8:15-19),
and then gave to the Levites his right to ownership of all firstborn males, both men and
animals (Nu 18:14-15).

Therefore, all the firstborn sons of Israel had to be bought back (redeemed) from the Levites
for five shekels of silver (Ex 13:13, 15, 30:12, 3:20; Nu 18;15-16).

Excellent typology of the gospel. . .

1) In the NT, the "church of the firstborn" (Heb 12:23) are all the redeemed,

So yes, all the OT saints are also the redeemed firstborn in the NT,

who also have been delivered from the destroying angel (Satan - 1Pe 5:8; Jn 10:10)
and bought back (redeemed) from eternal death (Eph 2:1, 5; Col 2:13),
by Christ our priest, who was substituted for us (Mt 20:28),
to whom God has exclusive right by purchase (1Co 6:20, 7:23; Ac 20:28b; 1Pe 2:9;
Rev 5:9, 14:4),
and are, therefore, to be consecrated to the Lord (Ro 6:13; 2Co 5:15).

. . .which gospel also includes
the destruction of all the unclean (unbelievers) who are not redeemed/consecrated
(Jn 3:18, 36; Heb 12:14) as in Ex 13:13, 34:20.

2) The "righteous men made perfect" (completed, sins remitted--Heb 10:4,
not just covered--Ro 4:7) are all the redeemed who are in their graves,
including the OT saints whose sins were only covered (Heb 10:4)
until they were remitted by the cross (Ro 3:25).

3) The Church is the Bride (Eph 5:31-32; 2Co 11:2; Rev 21:2, 9), the New Jerusalem,
the heavenly Jerusalem (Gal 4:25; Rev 3:12, 21:10),
which includes the OT saints (Rev 21:9-12; cf Eze 48:3-34).

Scripture is clear that the OT saints are also in the church of the firstborn (Heb 12:23).

zone

Jun 13, 2010
all your talk of God's infallible Word being the KJV - and you use Scofield's Version with footnotes.
you don't even study the Bible yourself.
it is plain that not many people come out from this theological prison.
but hopefully some will.

WHY I LEFT SCOFIELDISM
by
William E.Cox

Having come out of Scofieldism, I passed through at least three stages to arrive at my present position. My first feeling was that, although many things my former hero taught were not so, the good points (and he has many of these) in his system outweighed the bad. From this stage continued study led me to believe that I must leave The Scofield Reference Bible alone completely, but that I should not make an issue of it with equally sincere Christians. Further study led me to the position which I now hold. That position is that Scofieldism is heresy, and that, since God has given me this light, I must seek in love to warn others of the household of faith against this subtle, intriguing heresy.

1. SCOFIELD DOWNGRADES THE CHURCH AND HER ROLE IN GOD'S PLAN.

II. SCOFIELD TEACHES THAT GOD HAS TWO BODIES - ISRAEL AND THE CHURCH.

ETC

Why I left Scofieldism
Seminar 2
Israel and the Church: Who are God’s Chosen People?

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. (Ephesians 2:13-16)

How often have you heard the Jewish people described as God’s ‘chosen people’?

Probably so often that you have never even questioned it. It is so ingrained that to deny it is often seen as evidence of anti-Semitism. As is the assumption that God blesses and curses nations on the basis of how they treat Israel – which is sometimes used as a threat. This view goes back to Genesis 12:3. Jerry Falwell, for example, says God is blessing America because ‘America has been kind to the Jew.’1

He claims that God ‘will bless those who bless the Jews and curse whoever curses the Jews.’2

That is why Christians United or Israel conducts ‘a Night to Honor Israel’3 in as many cities as possible so that God will continue to bless America and Canada.

It may surprise you to discover that the New Testament never uses the term ‘chosen’ to describe the Jewish people. It is only used of those who follow Jesus. Does that mean God has two separate ‘chosen people’? Some like to think so. They are usually called ‘dispensationalists’ and this is a popular viewpoint among evangelicals in the United States

In this chapter we will begin by looking at the evidence for two ‘chosen people’ and then tackle the ‘blessing and cursing’ issue. Then we will examine the term ‘Israel’ in the Old and New Testament. We shall then consider some of the biblical imagery God uses to describe his relationship to his people such as the analogy of the vine and the vineyard. We also need to define what we mean by words like ‘Jew’, ‘chosen’ and ‘children of God’

The Sand and the Stars
John Nelson Darby, one of the founders of the Brethren, along with Cyrus Scofield, through his Scofield Reference Bible, popularised the novel idea that God has two separate plans - one being fulfilled through the Church, the other through Israel. According to Scofield, ‘Comparing then, what is said in Scripture concerning Israel and the Church, we find that in origin, calling, promise, worship, principles of conduct and future destiny all is contrast.’4

Lewis Sperry Chafer, one of Scofield’s students, elaborates on this alleged dichotomy between Israel and the church, The dispensationalist believes that throughout the ages God is pursuing two distinct purposes: one related to the earth with earthly people and earthly objectives involved which is Judaism; while the other is related to heaven with heavenly people and heavenly objectives involved, which is Christianity… Israel is an eternal nation, heir to an eternal land, with an eternal kingdom, on which David rules from an eternal throne’ so that in eternity ...never the twain, Israel and church, shall meet.5

If you imagine the way railway lines run parallel but never meet, well that is how many dispensationalists believe Israel and the Church remain separate.

< GRAPHIC >

Genesis 22:17 according to John Hagee

ETC

http://www.christianzionism.org/BibleSays/Sizer03.pdf < click pdf

Jan 19, 2013
all your talk of God's infallible Word being the KJV - and you use Scofield's Version with footnotes.
you don't even study the Bible yourself.
it is plain that not many people come out from this theological prison.
but hopefully some will.
They're not the only one who takes their understanding from unBiblical notions of men,
rather than their own study of the Bible.

konroh

Sep 17, 2013
(Too much focus on OT prophecy, and not enough on the typology of the NT gospel?)
I'm sorry but you can't quote a few verses from the OT about firstborns and assume that this is what church of the firstborn ones means. What you're really doing is saying that the word firstborn is a typology that either we can point back to the OT or forward to the NT. But nowhere in Scripture is this typology made with reference to the church and Israel. The firstborns and firstfruits were given to God in recognition that all things come from God. That's the OT meaning.

In your response you do nothing to respond to the actual words of the text, the context of the dichotomy that is clear from the text. The context is clearly what was old and what is now new. Did the OT saints come

to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

If you say that they did, then what is the entire purpose of the author of Hebrews writing about the New Covenant? He's pointing out that this is something new! I agree that Christ's death is applied to the OT saints because Paul says so, Rom. 3:25, that God passed over the sins previously committed to demonstrate His righteousness. In no verse that you gave does it actually say that any of the benefits of Christ are specifically applied to the OT saints (except one where it says church Acts 20:28b, which you would say includes OT saints). Rom. 3:25 can be applied to the OT saints, it's the only one that you gave that applies.

Now I'm not disagreeing that Christ's sacrifice is the basis for the OT saints salvation, but this is a theological concept that is applied to them, like I said, no verse that you gave actually says the OT saints were redeemed, substituted for, purchased, consecrated. But the church was and is.

There still needs to be an answer for Matt. 16:18, "I will build my church upon this rock" Christ refers to Himself, but clearly Peter has something to do with it, the interplay of the Greek words is too strong, Petros, Peter, petra, rock. This fits with Eph. 2:20, the church founded on the apostles and prophets.

Now of course there is the picture in Rev. that the bride of the Lamb is the New Jerusalem which has the names of both the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles. But you know what's fascinating about this picture? Nowhere does it use the word Church! I agree that there is a beautiful connection here in this last picture of the eternal state, that God has joined together both what He did in raising up a people group from Abraham to show His holiness and conjoining them to the Church saints, united in faith into one beautiful Jerusalem. But again, nowhere in the text does it say that Israel has become the Church or that the Church is the new Israel. In fact, there seems to be distinction even throughout eternity! Not that this is a class distinction, just that we all can join together, some with the privilege of being of the tribes, some of the apostles, but all united in faith in the Lamb.

Dec 26, 2012
Sarah, all Christians (including the dead in Christ) are taken up at the Rapture 1 Thess. 4:16-18).

Also, the Judgment Seat of Christ is a different judgment from the Judgment of the Nations.

At the Judgment of the Nations, the goats are being cast into Hell (Matt. 25:41).

Only the Sheep will gain entrance into the Millennial Kingdom. The purpose of the Judgment of the Nations is to determine who will enter into the Millennial Kingdom. And it will be based on how they treated God's people (the Jews), during the time of Jacob's trouble (Matt. 25:31-46, James 2).

And at Judgement Seat of Christ, no one is cast into Hell. Because only Christians will be present at the Judgment Seat of Christ. And the purpose of the Judgment Seat of Christ is to try and examine the Christian's work and labour for the Lord after Salvation. The Christian's motive for each work will also be examined. And It is to determine the level of rewards and millennial inheritance which he will receive (1 Corinthians 3:9-16).
So are you saying that those who become believers during the "tribulation" are NOT Christian but something else? :confused:

Jan 19, 2013
The entire old covenant is contrasted with the new covenant.
Agreed.

In the context of the letter addressing Hebrews, who were considering compromising their faith by returning to Judaism and the old covenant in order to gain relief from persecution by their family and friends, the writer warns them that
to trade their spiritual birthright for temporary ease in this world as did Esau (12:16), would deprive them of Christ's blessing (12:17).

That is the context in which he presents the contrast between the Sinaitic (Old) Covenant
and the New Covenant.
The OT saints can in no way be firstborn ones because they were before Christ! Isn't this clear from the text?

The firstborn are the ones who first believe in Christ, the mediator of the new covenant.
Nope. . .that's a false dichotomy from inadequate understanding of
what is meant by "church of the firstborn."

"Every firstborn male is to be consecrated
to the Lord." (Lk 2:23)

God bought back (redeemed) from the destroying angel all the firstborn of Israel,
both men and animals in the tenth plague (Ex 12:21-29).
Because God purchased them from death, they were his by right of purchase
(Ex13:1, 12-15, 22:29).

Therefore, the firstborn animals were consecrated (given over to God) by sacrifice
(Ex 13:15),
unless it was an unclean animal which was either redeemed (bought back) or destroyed
(Ex 13:13, 34:20).
And the firstborn sons were consecrated to God for full-time service to him (Ex 13:2).

God then substituted the Levites and their livestock for consecration to his full-time service
in place of the firstborn sons of Israel and their first-born animals (Nu 3:9-13, 41, 44-51,
8:15-19),
and then gave to the Levites his right to ownership of all firstborn males, both men and
animals (Nu 18:14-15).

Therefore, all the firstborn sons of Israel had to be bought back (redeemed) from the Levites
for five shekels of silver (Ex 13:13, 15, 30:12, 34:20; Nu 18;15-16).

Excellent typology of the gospel. . .

1) In the NT, the "church of the firstborn" (Heb 12:23) are all the redeemed ("consecrated").

So yes, all the OT saints are also the redeemed firstborn in the NT,

who also have been delivered from the destroying angel (Satan - 1Pe 5:8; Jn 10:10)
and bought back (redeemed) from eternal death (Eph 2:1, 5; Col 2:13),
by Christ our priest, who was substituted for us (Mt 20:28),
to whom God has exclusive right by purchase (1Co 6:20, 7:23; Ac 20:28b; 1Pe 2:9;
Rev 5:9, 14:4),
and are, therefore, to be consecrated to the Lord (Ro 6:13; 2Co 5:15).

. . .which gospel also includes
the destruction of all the unclean (unbelievers) who are not redeemed/consecrated
(Jn 3:18, 36; Heb 12:14) as in Ex 13:13, 34:20.

2) The "righteous men made perfect" (completed, sins remitted--Heb 10:4,
not just covered--Ro 4:7) are all the redeemed who are in their graves,
including the OT saints whose sins were only covered (Heb 10:4)
until they were remitted by the cross (Ro 3:25).

3) The Church is the Bride (Eph 5:31-32; 2Co 11:2; Rev 21:2, 9), the New Jerusalem,
the heavenly Jerusalem (Heb 12:22; Gal 4:25; Rev 3:12, 21:10),
which includes the OT saints (Rev 21:9-12; cf Eze 48:3-34).

Scripture is clear that the OT saints are also in the church of the firstborn (Heb 12:23).
I'm sorry but you can't quote a few verses from the OT about firstborns and assume that this is what church of the firstborn ones means.
(Too much skimming, and not enough concentrating?)

The Scriptures and my post both speak for themselves.

And everyone gets to decide for themselves.

Last edited:
E

eternally-gratefull

Will they not be uprooted at the destruction of the earth in 2Pe 3:11?

So "no longer'" does not mean forever, no matter when you think it "will be" fulfilled.
Thats a cop-out. And you refused to answer the question.

When the land does not exist. God makes a new better one does he not? Thus he does not YANK then out of the land to destroy the earth, He makes a far better land.

Now do you want to answer why they were yankjed out of their land by the roman army when God said when he restored them he woulg NEVER yank them out again?

E

eternally-gratefull

You are not the source of my knowledge regarding dispensationalism.

I did not get my statement from you, and I have proven the statement is false.
I do not care where you got the statement from. But i am sure I know where. You got it from a anti-dispensational source. Because if you got it from a dispensational source you would not make the claim you made.

Very few dispensationalists believe in different gospels. I only know of one in here. and he is a KJV idolotrist.

And if you want to get serious. The catholic church teaches different gospels. So your own ammilenial group has different views.

So again. You want to prove were dispensationalism DEMANDS different gospels?? otherwise, you ARE making false accusations!

E

eternally-gratefull

The thing is I doubt many could come to a future fulfillment of Revelation if we were all taught what Josephus wrote about those times. There are some things that still are to be fulfilled but to me it's becoming more and more clear that Revelation appears to be mostly completed.

lol.. No. Thats not the problem. If we would see what the BIBLE says about things. We would read josephious and KNOW the things which happened then were pale in nature to what will happen in the actual days of fulfillment.Bu

t we can not do this if we do not open our minds, and hearts and come to studying without trying to prove ourselves right and everyone else wrong

E

eternally-gratefull

Sorry Green,But scripture explains scripture.

Yep it does.

Matt 24: [SUP]22 [/SUP]And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.

Then read revelation. And if our minds are open. We would understand if God allowed those things to continue, ALL LIFE on earth would die. But he does not allow this, He returns and personaly puts a stop of it. That is why he said, He who endures to the end will be saved.

Knowing this. we would understand. AD 70 is not talking about this, Because all the events of AD 70 could continue at their worst for years and years and years. And Life on earth would NEVER be threatened to die off from the things which happened.

Dec 26, 2012
Revelation Chapter 11

[Notes from Adam were added on November 3rd and 8th, with Dave's permission, and are in maroon font.]Verses 1-2: The Two Witnesses
1Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, “Rise and measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship there, 2but do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months. 3And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.”
David Chilton comments: “Measuring is a symbolic action used in scripture to ‘divide between the holy and the profane’ and thus to indicate divine protection from destruction (see Ezek. 22:26; 40-43; Zech. 2:1-5; cf. Jer. 10:16; 51:19; Rev. 21:15-16)” [Source: Steve Gregg's book "Revelation: Four Views (A Parallel Commentary), p. 220]. Some preterists find this text to be one of the strongest indications of an early date. Examples of this can be seen in the following quotes taken from the Preterist Archive:
[1] Johannes Friedrich Bleek (1870): “As to the time of writing, there are several statements which indicate this with tolerable clearness, and to which we have already referred. In the first division (ch. xi. 1-14)… Jerusalem and the temple are spoken of as still standing.” (An Introduction to the New Testament, 2:226.)
[2] James M. Macdonald (1877):
“It is difficult to see how language could more clearly point to Jerusalem, and to Jerusalem as it was before its overthrow.”, (The Life and Writings of St John , p. 159.)
[3] Bernhard Weiss (1889): “The time of the Apocalypse is also definitely fixed by the fact that according to the prophecy in chap. xi. it was manifestly written before the destruction of Jerusalem, which in xi. 1 is only anticipated.” (Bernhard Weiss, A Manual of Introduction to the New Testament, 2:82; 1889.)
[4] John A.T. Robinson (1976): “It is indeed generally agreed that this passage must bespeak a pre-70 situation.. There seems therefore no reason why the oracle should not have been uttered by a Christian prophet as the doom of the city drew nigh.” (Redating the New Testament pp.. 240-242).
[5] Kenneth Gentry (1998): “If John wrote about literal Jerusalem (“where also their Lord was crucified”) twenty-five years after the destruction of the literal Temple (as per the evangelically formulated late date argument), it would seem most improbable that he would speak of the Temple as if it were still standing. The symbol would be confusing in its blatant anachronism. The Temple is required to be standing for the symbolical action of the vision to have any meaning. John uses the future tense when he speaks of the nations’ treading down the city. As just stated, this is not a reminiscence of a past event, but rather a future expectation.” (Before Jerusalem Fell, p.175)
David S. Clark (1989) is also quoted in this regard by Steve Gregg (p. 222): “Here is so plainly the destruction of Jerusalem that it could hardly be put in plainer words. It seems evident that there is no getting away from the fact that here we are dealing with the fall of Jerusalem in the year 70,–that all that John has said hitherto was leading up to this great fact,–that here we have the culmination of these prophetic seals, and this is where the first half of the book lands us.”
• If Revelation was written in 95 AD, then what temple is being referred to here? Herod’s temple had been long destroyed.
• If the temple here is referring to a temple that is “future” (as futurists believe), why would such a temple be necessary in light of the work of Christ and the new covenant that has replaced temple sacrifices? See Hebrews 9-10. If a new temple is necessary and said to be the “temple of God” in Rev 11:1, this would dangerously minimize the work of Christ.
• Rev 11:2 says that the holy city will be “trampled” for 42 months. This prophecy is remarkably similar to the one spoken by Jesus in Luke 21:24, where it is said that “Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.”And Luke 21:24 is commonly believed to be referring to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.
• The “holy city” is Jerusalem as described in 11:8 [see below].
• 42 months is the length of time that historians say the Roman army attacked and destroyed the city of Jerusalem. This 42 months covers the period from March 67 AD – September 70 AD, that is, from the time that Rome declared war on Israel (and Vespasian marched into Judea, Galilee, and on toward Jerusalem) until Jerusalem and the Second Temple were destroyed. From Scripture we know that Jerusalem had been known historically as “the holy city” (Nehemiah 11:1; Isaiah 48:2, 52:1; Daniel 9:24; Matthew 4:5; Matthew 27:53), and this was still its historic designation despite the fact that Jesus had pronounced it desolate (Matt. 23:38). In 1851, Moses Stuart (Professor at Andover Theological Seminary) made the following remarks concerning Revelation 11:2 and the trampling of the holy city for 42 months, his point being that the mention of “the holy city” also referred to Israel as a whole:
“Jerusalem, as being the metropolis, is, as often in the Old Testament, made the symbol or representative of the whole country or nation. The reader needs only to be reminded, how often Zion and Jerusalem stand, in prophetic language, as the representatives of the Jewish government, polity, land, and nation, in order to accede to the position, that thecapitals in the Apocalypse are to be considered as the symbols of the country and of the government to which they belong.“When John therefore predicts, in Rev. 11:2, that “the holy city shall be trodden under foot 42 months,” this of course involves the idea, that the country of which the holy city is the capital, is also trodden under foot. To make their way to the capital, a foreign enemy, coming (as the Romans did) from the north, must have overrun a great portion of Palestine antecedently to the capture of Jerusalem. The prediction of course includes both, inasmuch as the holy city is made the representative of the country at large.”Source: Moses Stuart, Hints on the Interpretation of Prophecy, New York: Van Nostrand and Terrett, pp. 115-116; available online at http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/pdf/1851_stuart_hints_interpretation.pdf
Discussion item: read Luke 21:5-33
• My ESV Bible heading, and the accompanying explanation, claim that verses 20-24 refer to AD 70. If so, how could the rest of the text refer to the end times? Is a dual prophecy likely?
• Could the entire passage refer to AD 70?
• What is the significance of verse 32 to the issue?
I have to admit that for some time I’ve been a bit perplexed over the language used in verses 1-2. I can see the basis for saying that this passage is written as if the Second Temple was still standing when John received his vision (and I believe it was), yet the use of the phrase “temple of God” seems to indicate that the Church is also being referred to here (cf. Eph. 2:11-22; II Cor. 6:16; I Cor. 3:16, 6:19). Therefore it may be that John was (symbolically) measuring the Church which would be trampled (persecuted) for 42 months (see Rev. 13:5-7). Given the similarity between this passage and Luke 21:24, the physical temple was also probably being alluded to. It may be that both ideas were being spoken of in this case (more will be said on this later in this post).David Chilton may be on to something, then, as in the quote above he referred to a division between the holy and the profane. That may very well be what John is seeing contrasted here. In other words, the desolate physical temple (cf. Matthew 23:38) would soon disappear, and only God’s holy temple (His people) would remain standing (cf. Hebrews 8:13, 12:18-29). I also appreciate what David Lowman (a Presbyterian pastor in Colorado) has said concerning these things:
The measuring of the Temple is patterned, like so much of the book of Revelation, after the book of Ezekiel. In Ezekiel we are shown an angel of the Lord measuring the Temple representing the future for Jerusalem and God’s Holy people after a return from exile. Conversely, John measures the temple to determine its soon coming destruction and its being ‘trampled’ for 42 months…What John does, though, is give us a beautiful, symbolic picture of God’s preserving work, for only the outer courts of the Temple are seen as being trampled, while the Temple Proper (Holy Place and Holy of Holies) is preserved. This would be God’s remnant preserved through the soon coming wrath and destruction. The physical Temple faced the wrath of God and His judgment, but His true Temple – the Church – survived and thrived amidst the persecution and tribulation…God here, in this interlude between the sixth and seventh trumpets, is once again showing His protection of His people. He has measured them out and has determined to protect them through the 3 1/2 year time of judgment set against apostate Israel and the physical representation of the old and obsolete Covenant, the Temple.
Kenneth Gentry (p. 174) writes in a similar manner, saying that “the measuring of the Temple is for the preservation of its innermost aspects, i.e., the…altar, and worshippers within (Rev. 11:1).” He adds,
This seems to refer to the inner-spiritual idea of the Temple in the New Covenant era that supercedes the material Temple of the Old Covenant era. Thus, while judgment is about to be brought upon Israel, Jerusalem, and the literal Temple complex, this prophecy speaks also of the preservation of God’s new Temple, the Church…that had its birth in and was originally headquartered at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47; Acts 1:8; 8:1; 15:2). Notice that after the holocaust, the altar is seen in heaven (Rev. 11:18), whence Christ’s kingdom originates (John 18:36; Heb. 1:3) and where Christians have their citizenship (Eph. 2:6; Col. 3:1, 2).The external court of the Temple complex, however, is not “measured”; it is “cast out”… All the Israelites who refuse the new priesthood of baptism are cast out and their Temple destroyed. The Temple is not destined for preservation, “for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months” (v. 2). The prior prophecy of Christ (Matt. 24:2) absolutely prohibits any expectation of even a partial preservation of the literal Temple. Thus, John reveals both the prophetic certainty of the material Temple’s destruction and the fact of the preservation of His true Temple, His Church, His New Covenant people, His new priesthood [As such, Rev. 11:1, 2 functions in the same way as the "sealing of the 144,000" passage in Rev. 7]. The proper understanding of the passage requires a mixture of the figurative-symbolic and the literal-historical.
Steve Gregg (p. 220) adds these helpful notes,
As at the end of chapter 10, where John’s eating of the book repeats Ezekiel’s action of centuries earlier, here in chapter 11 John is told to do something else that also has a precedent in Ezekiel. In Ezekiel 40-47 a man measures the temple with a measuring rod. In Revelation 11 John himself is given a reed for the same purpose. In both cases, the action depicts the defining of the true spiritual temple in view of the impending destruction of the physical structure in Jerusalem (by Babylonians in Ezekiel’s day, by Romans in John’s).
Verses 3-13: 3And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth. 4These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. 5And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed. 6They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire. 7And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that rises from the bottomless pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them, 8and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. 9For three and a half days some from the peoples and tribes and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to let them be placed in a tomb, 10and those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and make merry and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to those who dwell on the earth. 11But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood up on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. 12Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here!” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies watched them. 13And at that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.The two witnesses
• There is all sorts of speculation about the identity of the two witnesses amongst preterists, futurists, and everyone else!
• The reference to the two olive trees and two lampstands is from Zechariah 4:11-14. There the reference is to the high priest, Joshua, and the governor, Zerubbabel. (Read Zech 4)
What do we know about the two witnesses from the text?
• They prophesy for 1260 days (vs. 3)
• They are clothed in sackcloth (vs. 3) (Why? Perhaps because their message is one of impending destruction)
• They have power to harm their adversaries (vs. 5)
• They have power over nature and to strike the earth with plagues (vs. 6)
• They are overcome and killed by the beast in God’s time (vs. 7)
• Their dead bodies will lie in Jerusalem for 3 ½ days (vs. 9)
• Their death will be celebrated (vs. 10)
• They have been a “torment” to those on the earth (vs. 10) How and why?
• God will make them alive again after 3 ½ days! (vs. 11)
• They are taken up to heaven on a cloud! (vs. 12)
• A deadly earthquake fell on the city after their departure (vs. 13)
Explanations given for the identity of the two witnesses:
• Religious and Civic authority (represented by the high priest and governor of Zech 4)
• Moses and Elijah returning to earth
• Elijah and Enoch returning to earth
• James and Peter
• Two people that God raised up for the role
Kenneth Gentry has the following to say regarding their identity and significance:
(1) This is recognized on all hands to be one of the more difficult identifications in Revelation.
(2) Somehow these witnesses relate to Moses and Elijah in that imagery from their ministries appear in the passage (water to blood and drought, v6).
(3) They also related to Zechariah’s prophecy of the gold lampstand and two olive trees in Zech 4:2-3, which speak of the rebuilding of the OT temple under Joshua (priest) and Zerubbabel (governor).
(4) In both allusions we have reference to the original founding of Israel as a nation and the re-establishment of it after the Babylonian exile.
(5) Thus, the two witnesses represent the founding of a new order for Israel upon the ruins of the old, earthly Israel. This is the church of Jesus Christ. Remember: Jesus said he will take the kingdom from Israel and give it to a nation bearing the fruit thereof. (Mt 21:43). Despite the persecution of Christianity it shall arise from apparent defeat.

Revelation Chapter 11 | Pursuing Truth

Cont

Dec 26, 2012
Cont

James MacDonald, in his 1877 book The Life and Writings of St. John, was of the opinion that we don’t have a historical record of the activity of the two witnesses during the Roman-Jewish War because the historians we rely on from that time were either Jewish (Josephus) or Roman (e.g. Tacitus), and none were Christian:
If we had a Christian history extant, as we have a Pagan one by Tacitus and a Jewish one by Josephus, giving an account of what occurred within that devoted city during that awful period of its history, then we might trace out more distinctly the prophesying of the two witnesses. The great body of Christians, warned by the signs given them by their Lord, according to ancient testimony, appear to have left Palestine on its invasion by the Romans . . . . But it was the will of God that a competent number of witnesses for Christ should remain to preach the Gospel to the very last moment to their deluded, miserable countrymen. It may have been part of their work to reiterate the prophecies respecting the destruction of the city, the temple, and commonwealth… The olive-trees, fresh and vigorous, keep the lamps constantly supplied with oil. These witnesses, amidst the darkness which has settled round Jerusalem, give a steady and unfailing light… If these two prophets were the only Christians in Jerusalem, as both were killed, there was no one to make a record or report in the case, and we have here therefore an example of a prophecy which contains at the same time the only history or notice of the events by which it was fulfilled… There seems to be a peculiar fitness in these witnesses for Christ, men endowed with the highest supernatural gifts, standing to the last in the forsaken city, prophesying its doom, and lamenting over what was once so dear to God (pp. 161-162)
Moses Stuart (Professor of Andover Theological Seminary), in his 1851 work Hints on the Interpretation of Prophecy, saw a significance in the number of witnesses chosen by God to prophesy during this time of judgment upon apostate Israel. He remarks, “Two witnesses, and but two, are specified, as we may naturally suppose, because, ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter is established.’” This is a reference to Deuteronomy 19:15 (cf. II Cor. 13:1).Although history doesn’t seem to record the activities of two witnesses as some might expect if this is a past event (and if it is assumed that they are merely individuals), Josephus does record some interesting details regarding the activity of one man, whose behavior shows that he functioned very much as a prophet in the city of Jerusalem. The following excerpt is taken from a term paper I wrote a few months ago:
Jesus, the son of Ananus and a common Roman citizen, came to the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem during a time of great peace and prosperity and began to cry out, “A voice from the east, a voice from the west, a voice from the four winds, a voice against Jerusalem and the holy house, a voice against the bridegrooms and the brides, and a voice against this whole people!” He continued to do this for seven years and five months, day and night, in all the lanes of the city, crying out the loudest during the festivals. He was often whipped until his bones were bare, but witnesses say he never shed a tear, only crying out at every lash, “Woe, woe to Jerusalem!” He was dismissed by the Roman Procurator as a madman… [In April 70 AD he was] killed by a large stone flung from one of the Roman engines… Just before he was struck, he cried out with great force, “Woe, woe to the city again, and to the people, and to the holy house! Woe, woe to myself also!”
Dr. Andrew Corbett, the pastor of Legana Christian Church in (Tasmania) Australia, has an altogether different take regarding the two witnesses. He notes that the 42 months in which the holy city will be trampled (verse 2) “is most naturally associated with the historic Roman occupation of Jerusalem which commenced in 66AD. This is supported by the statement in Revelation 13:5-6 where the Roman Beast speaks against the ‘Tabernacle’ for forty-two months.” The 1260 days, on the other hand, “while also equivalent to three and a half years, is distinguished from the Gentile occupation of Jerusalem… Therefore, we are dealing with the two witnesses ministering during the time of persecution against the Church, not the occupation of Jerusalem.In other words, Corbett is saying, the 42 months of trampling down Jerusalem and Israel in Rev. 11:2 took place from late 66 AD – early 70 AD. Yet there was a different 42-month period, spoken of in Revelation 13:5-7, in which God’s people were persecuted to the point of being overcome (See the post on Revelation 13:1-10). Nero, who I believe to be the first beast of chapter 13 in the singular sense, indeed persecuted the saints from November 64 AD – June 68 AD, a period of 42 months; Peter and Paul were both martyred during the later part of this period. Corbett suggests that this was the period in which the two witnesses were active. He adds, “These two witnesses are not necessarily two individuals. No empire has to ‘make war against’ two individuals.” He notes that both Jeremiah 11:16 and Romans 11:17-24 refer to Israel as an olive tree, the very imagery found in Rev. 11:4. He adds his opinion that the two witnesses were [corporately]
the Jewish Christians [of whom some] were literally witnesses to Christ in the sense of having physically seen Him, and perhaps most importantly being prepared to lay down their lives for Him. It’s this latter aspect of the term witness that is recurring throughout the Book of Revelation. The Greek word for witness is martus from where we get the English wordmartyr. The Law required that a testimony be established on at least two witnesses [Deuteronomy 17:6].
He sees the “breath of life from God” in verse 11 as God giving new life to His people once Nero committed suicide in June 68 AD, having failed to eradicate the Church entirely as he set out to do (see chapter 13 study). I see some possible holes in Corbett’s arguments, not all of which I alluded to here, but I’ve warmed up to the idea that the two witnesses represent the Church as a whole. I also find his idea that the two witnesses prophesied from 64-68 AD (rather than 66-70 AD) quite intriguing. This seems to fit other details better, especially as verse 13 (below) is concerned. I’m surprised I didn’t consider this before, since it’s the beast that kills the two witnesses (verse 7), and I believe the beast to be Nero in the singular sense (who was still alive in 68 AD, but not in 70 AD).In verse 6 we read that the two witnesses have the power to strike “the earth” with every kind of plague. Is their ministry worldwide or local? In our study of Revelation so far, we have suggested that many of the references to “the earth” in the book of Revelation are not meant to be taken as worldwide in scope, but as dealing instead with the land of Israel/Palestine. In a 3-part study on this subjectbeginning with this post, I have outlined nearly 20 instances where this appears to be the case.Verse 8: We know that Jerusalem is being spoken of because it is said that this is “where their Lord was crucified.” The following details also come from my same term paper:
It’s worth noting that “Revelation 11:8 suggests that Jerusalem’s streets were intact at the time of John’s writing” (Kenneth Gentry, 1998, p. 236) because the dead bodies of the two witnesses were to lie there for several days. If John wrote this in 95 or 96 AD, Jerusalem would have been a wasteland. As Kathleen M. Kenyon remarked [Jerusalem: Excavating 3000 Years of History, 1967, p. 185], “It was two centuries or more [after 70 AD] before human activity began once more to make its mark in the whole area of ancient Jerusalem.” It’s also significant in Revelation 11:8 that Jerusalem is called “the great city.” This is the same title given to Babylon the Great on at least six occasions (17:18; 18:10, 16, 18, 19, 21).To be called “Sodom,” of course, is not a compliment. When Isaiah was instructed to prophesy against Judah and Jerusalem (Isaiah 1:1), he called the Israelites by the same name because of their apostasy. It would make sense for John to speak of apostate Jerusalem, once known as the holy city, as Sodom, Babylon, and a harlot. Todd Dennis writes, “The image of the unfaithful wife, the harlot, was often used of Israel in the OT. Israel is repeatedly called the wife of God (Jer. 2:2, 3:14, Is. 54:5). But she was an unfaithful wife (Jer. 3:20, Hos. 1:2, Ez. 6:9, Ez. 16, Is. 50:1) behaving as a prostitute (Jer. 3:1-2).
Kenneth Gentry (Before Jerusalem Fell, p. 171) notes that Jerusalem is great in not only its “covenantal-redemptive [i.e. spiritual] signficance,” but also because of its historical fame. He quotes the Roman historian Tacitus who refers to Jerusalem as “a famous city” (Histories 5:2). Gentry adds,
Jerusalem housed a Temple that, according to Tacitus “was famous beyond all other works of men.” Another Roman historian, Pliny, said of Jerusalem that it was “by far the most famous city of the ancient Orient.” According to Josephus, a certain Agatharchides spoke of Jerusalem thus: “There are a people called Jews, who dwell in a city the strongest of all other cities, which the inhabitants call Jerusalem.” Appian called it “the great city Jerusalem.” …More important, however, is the covenantal significance of Jerusalem. The obvious role of Jerusalem in the history of the covenant should merit it such greatness… Josephus sadly extols Jerusalem’s lost glory after its destruction: “This was the end which Jerusalem came to be the madness of those that were for innovations; a city otherwise of great magnificance, and of mighty fame among all mankind (Wars 7:1:1)… And where is not that great city, the metropolis of the Jewish nation, which was fortified by so many walls round about, which had so many fortresses and large towers to defend it, which could hardly contain the instruments prepared for the war, and which had so many tens of thousands of men to fight for it? Where is this city that was believed to have God himself inhabiting therein? It is now demolished to the very foundations” (Wars7:8:7).

cont

Dec 26, 2012
cont

Verses 9-12: These verses speak of a time period of “three and a half days” for the dead bodies of the witnesses to lie unburied in the streets, and before “a breath of life from God” enters them. Without being dogmatic, I’m inclined to think of this time period as representing and being one and the same with the three and a half years (i.e. 1260 days) of their ministry. Please see the following post (Revelation 11: Part 2) for a more thorough discussion of this section of text.Verse 13: We are told that a great earthquake takes place, causing a tenth of the city of Jerusalem [identified as such in verse 8] to fall, and 7000 to be killed as a direct result of the earthquake. This is said to occur in the same hour as the end of the ministry of the two witnesses. If they indeed finished their witness before Nero’s death, as Corbett (above) has postulated, then this account from Josephus (said to take place during the first half of 68 AD) is likely the fulfillment of this very event:
There broke out a prodigious storm in the night, with the utmost violence, and very strong winds, with the largest showers of rain, with continued lightnings, terrible thunderings, and amazing concussions and bellowings of the earth, that was in an earthquake. These things were a manifest indication that some destruction was coming upon men, when the system of the world was put into this disorder; and any one would guess that these wonders foreshowed some grand calamities that were coming (Wars 4:4:5). [Taking advantage of the noise of the storm, some of the Jewish zealots cut the bars of the temple gates with temple saws, allowing the Idumaeans to come in and join them in slaughtering some of the people]. The din from all quarters was rendered more terrific by the howling of the storm. And by daybreak they saw 8,500 dead bodies there (Wars 4:4:7-4:5:1).
Josephus does not attribute a certain number of deaths to the earthquake, and a certain number of deaths to the warfare which took place, but only notes that a total of 8500 dead bodies were discovered the morning after this earthquake. This is remarkably close to the Biblical account. Estimates of Jerusalem’s population prior to its destruction (at non-feast times) range as high as 200,000. This number in 68 AD, however, should have been lower considering that the Christians had fled and the city was in the throes of civil war. Josephus then records that the Idumaeans and the Jewish zealots succeeded in killing Ananus the high priest and his next-in-command, Jesus son of Gamalas (also known as Joshua), showing them much dishonor: “Nay, they proceeded to that degree of impiety, as to cast away their dead bodies without burial. I should not make a mistake if I said that the death of Ananus was the beginning of the destruction of the city [when the Jews] beheld their high priest, the captain of their salvation, butchered in the heart of Jerusalem” (Wars 4:5:2). This is not to suggest that Ananus and Joshua were the two witnesses, but it sheds further light on verse 9 which indicates that the two witnesses were also not to be buried (cf. Psalm 79:1-4, where very similar conditions were described by Asaph).Verses 14-15: 14The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come. The Seventh Trumpet 15Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.” 16And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17saying, “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. 18The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged, and for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth.” 19Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.There is much discussion about the meaning of v. 15. Under the Preterist view, in what way has “the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdom of His Christ”? The response would be that, with the trampling of the great city and the destruction of the temple, the kingdom of God is clearly shown to be no longer a “national theocracy” limited to the Jews. The kingdom of Christ is available to all people (as demonstrated by Pentecost and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Gentiles). The Parable of the Tenants (Matthew 21:33-46) is most interesting in this regard. It speaks of the pattern of national Israel and its religious leaders throughout the Old Testament in killing God’s prophets and servants. At last they killed God’s Son, Jesus. When Jesus asked what would be done to the tenants of this vineyard, the chief priests, elders, and Pharisees (vss. 23, 45) rightfully answered, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruit in their seasons” (verse 41). Jesus then speaks of their rejection of Him (verse 42), and declares that the kingdom of God would be taken away from national Israel “and given to a people producing its fruits” (verse 43).Who is this people? Of course, it’s the Church, made up of Jewish and Gentile believers, among whom there is no distinction made (Galatians 3:28, 5:6, 6:15; Colossians 3:11; I Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 2:13-17). When did this happen, though, that the kingdom was taken away from national Israel and given exclusively to the Church? It can be said that this transaction took place at the time of Christ’s death and resurrection, even at Pentecost when the Church was born. However, the physical manifestation of national Israel being taken out of the way, and the final consumation of the Jewish age, took place when Jerusalem and the Second Temple were destroyed in 70 AD. It’s quite possible that this event was on Jesus’ mind when He said, “And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him” (verse 45). The old covenant was in the process of vanishing away when Hebrews was written (see Heb. 8:13), but at this time it completely vanished away, and remains no more. Now to the Church belongs the kingdom (cf. Daniel 7:13-27).Under the Futurist view, the proclamation in v. 15 heralds the return of Christ and the end of the world. They point to v. 18 as the commencement of the final judgment.Verse 19: As we saw in Rev. 4:5 and 8:5, the cosmic phenomena in verse 19 mirrors the phenomena that occurred when Moses delivered the Law to the Israelites on Mount Sinai (Exodus 19:16). The significance of this parallel is that Jerusalem’s destruction (along with the temple) completed the transition from Judaism (the Old Covenant) to the New Covenant.

E

eternally-gratefull

give it up sarah. No one is going to take the time to read major long winded posts. Which come from a biased source. If yuo want to discuss, Lets discuss. But I am not going to read long winded posts. I do not have the time to go point by point and respond to everything It would take all night.

You can answer a question though.

Can you tell me how all life on earth (Flesh) was threatened in 70 AD??

Dec 26, 2012
[h=2]Revelation Chapter 12[/h]

In this post, three views will be presented:
[A] The Futurist view, which says that these events are yet to be fulfilled during a future great tribulation
The Preterist view, which holds that these events were fulfilled in the first century
[C] The Historicist view, which sees many of these events as ongoing in Church history, including this present time.
(Notes and updated changes from Adam are in maroon-colored font.)[h=2]A. Futurist View:[/h][Many of the details expressed in this viewpoint are taken from The John MacArthur Bible Commentary, Thomas Nelson Publishing, 2005. Pp. 2015-2017].Verses 1 and 2: The woman depicted here is one of four mentioned in the book of Revelation. She is thought to be the mother of Jesus by Roman Catholic expositors. However, most of those in Protestant circles don’t believe this – they believe the woman to represent Israel, and the child is Jesus Christ. Dispensationalists also hold this view.Verse 1: “…clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet and on her head a crown of 12 stars” correlates with Genesis 37:9, in which this same description represents the family of Jacob.Being clothed with the sun likely speaks of glory, dignity and the exalted status of Israel. The moon under her feet possibly describes God’s covenant relationship with Israel, since new moons were associated with worship (1 Chr. 23:31; 2 Chr. 2:4; 8:13, Ezra 3:5; Ps. 81:3). The twelve stars represent the twelve tribes of Israel.Verse 3: The red dragon is thought to represent Satan. The seven heads and the ten horns are tied to the first beast of chapter 13. Futurists generally hold the view that the third of the stars swept down by his tail (verse 4) can refer to angelic beings (see Rev 1:20, 9:1 and Job 38:7). This event would likely describe when Satan revolted against heaven and took with him a third of the angels (Jude 6, 2 Peter 2:4). Unable to prevent the virgin birth, Satan tried to kill the child in a general massacre of male children commanded by Herod (Matt 2:13-18, cf. Luke 4:28-29).Red speaks of bloodshed (John 8:44). Seven heads…ten horns…seven diadems = figurative language depicting Satan’s domination of seven past worldly kingdoms and ten future kingdoms (Daniel 7:7, 20, 24). Satan has and will rule the world until the seventh trumpet blows (11:15) and has inflicted relentless pain on Israel (Daniel 8:24), desiring to kill the woman before she could inflict pain on him.Verse 5: “She gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron…” correlates to a promise made to Christ in Psalm 2 and repeated again in Revelation 19:15.Verse 6: …and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she to be nourished for 1,260 days.”God will protect Israel from Satan by hiding her in the wilderness, perhaps in the regions of Moab, Ammon, and Edom, east of Palestine. These countries are spared from the Antichrist’s attack against the Holy Land (Daniel 11:41). The 1,260 days represents the first half of the tribulation, at which point the Antichrist breaks his covenant with Israel, stops temple worship, and sets up the abomination of desolation (Daniel 9:27; Matt. 24:15). Many Jews will flee for their lives, but God will preserve them for the final 42 months (3½ years) of the Great Tribulation.Verses 7-13: A state of war has broken out in heaven and has existed since the fall of Satan (Daniel 10:13, Jude 9). The war will intensify, possibly due to the raptured saints passing through the realm of the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2). Satan will continue to deceive people during the Great Tribulation (cf. 13-14, 20:3, John 8:44). After his release from the bottomless pit at the end of the Millennium, he will briefly resume his deceitful ways (20:8, 10).Verse 14: “the wings of a great eagle…” This doesn’t refer to actual birds’ wings, but is a graphic depiction of God’s providential protection over Israel. “A time and times and half a time” refer to the 3½ years, or the second half, of the Great Tribulation (cf. 11:2-3; 13:5).Verse 16: “the earth opened its mouth…” A great army will come against Israel like a flood (v. 15; cf. Jer. 46:8, 47:2), only to be swallowed up by a great earthquake (6:12; 8:5; 11:13; 19; 16:18; Matt 24:7). Satan will then take a position in the midst of the nations of the world, represented by the sand of the sea.[h=2]B. Preterist View:[/h][Much of the following material is taken from Steve Gregg's book, Revelation: Four Views (A Parallel Commentary). Thomas Nelson Publishers: Nashville, 1997. Pp. 252-276]Woman = Old Testament Israel (i.e. the faithful remnant among the Israelites); later God’s people, the remnant among the nations, after Christ’s death and resurrection
Dragon = Rome, under the influence of Satan
Male Child = Jesus Christ
Steve Gregg (p. 252, 254) writes that Preterists are split in two different directions at this point “in their interpretation of the material” in the remainder of Revelation. One camp (e.g. David Chilton, Milton Terry, J. Stewart Russell, Philip Carrington, and Kenneth Gentry) “believe that the remaining chapters (through chapter 19) continue the prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem, identifying Babylonwith Jerusalem. Chilton affirms that the second half of the Book of Revelation covers much the same ground as the first, but from a different perspective.” Milton Terry adds that “after Babylon the harlot falls and passes from view,” the Church appears “as the wife of the Lamb, the tabernacle of God with men, glorious in her beauty and imperishable as the throne of God.” The second camp (e.g. Moses Stuart, Jay Adams, David S. Clark) “believe that Babylon is Rome and that the remaining chapters assume that the judgment on Jerusalem, the first great persecutor, is complete. The second great persecutor of the church, Imperial Rome, is thus about to be conquered in the chapters that lie ahead.” (We’re actually getting ahead of ourselves here, since much more attention will be given to Babylon the Great in chapters 16-18, but this is said now to hopefully avoid some confusion as this view is articulated here–and also in the chapters to come.)Verse 1: Preterists agree with Futurists that the woman here refers to the nation of Israel, with the imagery being reminiscent of Joseph’s dream as recorded in Genesis 37:9.Verse 2: The birth pangs and agony of giving birth symbolize the suffering of the Jewish people during the time of Roman rule before the birth of Christ. Steve Gregg (p. 256) writes that the “travailing of the woman is understood to refer to the centuries of affliction suffered by the faithful Jews as they awaited the coming of their Messiah.”Verse 3: The dragon had seven heads, ten horns and seven diadems. It would appear to be a combination of all four of the beasts mentioned in Daniel 7. They represent four successive world empires: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome. (See the following post for a discussion of these seven heads and 10 horns, in which it is suggested that this was fulfilled by first-century Rome [seen in its first seven emperors, of which Nero, empowered by the dragon, was the sixth] and its 10 senatorial provinces.) Steve Gregg (p. 258) also comments,
After the birth of Christ, the narrative skips to [Christ's] ascension, since the purpose of the vision is not to retell the life of Christ, but to reveal its sequel with reference to the warfare of His church. The flight of the woman into the wilderness after Christ’s ascension represents the escape of the Jewish believers from the doomed city prior to its destruction. Thus the wrath of the dragon is expended upon the city only after his real target, the Christians, has relocated to safety.
Verse 6: Our sovereign God used a Satan-led attack on Jerusalem for the purpose of judgement on a rebellious people, says Jay Adams, after God preserved His own, “rescuing them from the fierce attack upon Jerusalem… It may be viewed, therefore, either from the side of Satan’s persecution or God’s wrath.” The woman remains safe in the wilderness during the time of tribulation in Israel for 3½ years (or “42 months”; See Rev. 11:2, 3). This reference to 1,260 days, says David S. Clark, is a term borrowed from Daniel, where it was a period of persecution.” It was also the literal length of the Jewish-Roman war from its beginning until Jerusalem’s destruction (March 67 AD – September 70 AD), and of Nero’s persecution of the church (November 64 AD – June 68 AD; See the following post on Revelation 13:1-10).As I wrote in my term paper on Jerusalem’s destruction in 70 AD, the early Church writer Eusebius (263-339 AD) records that when Vespasian began to close in on Jerusalem, believers living there received a sign, “given by revelation to those in Jerusalem who were ‘approved,’ bidding them leave the doomed city and settle in Pella” (F.F. Bruce, New Testament History, 1983, p. 375). Pella was a community on the other side of the Jordan River in modern day Jordan… Pella is indicated by the number “2” on the map.
The timing of this event is based on the testimonies of Eusebius and Remigius (437-533 AD), who said that the Christians dwelling in Jerusalem and the surrounding regions fled to Pella “on the approach of the Roman army” (See the post entitled, “Abomination of Desolation”). There are some who suggest that the believers may not have fled during the first approach of the Roman army in early 67 AD, but rather during the Roman army’s second approach in 69/70 AD. They note correctly that Vespasian, having swept through Galilee and Judea and having closed in on Jerusalem by early 68 AD, upon learning of Nero’s death in 68 AD then retreated to Rome to deal with the sudden civil war there. It was then his son, Titus, who led the Roman army’s second march toward Jerusalem, arriving by April 70 AD. The contention is that the last of the believers may have only fled during this second approach led by Titus. In any case, Josephus records that not a single known believer perished during the final 5-month siege upon Jerusalem (April-September 70 AD), because they obeyed the words of Jesus (Matthew 24:15-21) and escaped (cf. Luke 21:20-24; Daniel 12:1, 7).
Revelation Chapter 12 | Pursuing Truth

Cont

Dec 26, 2012
cont

Verse 7: Steve Gregg writes (p. 262), “The war in heaven (vs. 7) is not chronologically sequential to the flight of the woman into the wilderness.” He quotes David Chilton, whose view is that verses 7-12 explain why the woman needed to flee into the wilderness. Verse 13 returns to the scene of the flight of the woman.Verse 10: We see that Satan is referred to as ”the accuser of the brethren.” We can certainly see him playing this role in Old Testament times, and before Jesus went to the cross. We see this in the case of Job (Job 1:6-7), where Satan stands before God accusing Job of being incapable of serving God if he is left unprotected. We see this again in Zechariah 3:1, where Satan is pictured standing before the angel of the Lord to accuse Joshua the high priest. In Luke 22:31 we are told that Satan has put in a specific request to sift Peter as wheat. A not-as-clear reference to this type of activity also appears in Jude 9, where we learn that Satan entered into contention with the archangel Michael over the body of Moses. Steve Gregg also writes,
Because the great dragon was cast out (v. 9) as a consequence of the battle, we can pinpoint the heavenly battle as being at the same time as the accomplishment of the atonement at the death and resurrection of Christ.” One of several evidences of this is found in Jesus’ statement (recorded by the same author): “now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out“ (John 12:31). Another evidence appears in the announcement that Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ has come (v. 10). This also coincides with the atonement. In addition, other New Testament authors confirm that a victory of this sort over Satan was accomplished by Christ in His death (cf. Col. 2:15, Heb. 2:14-15).The death of Christ did not put Satan entirely out of business, but it ended his career as the accuser of our brethren (v. 10), his principle role in pre-Christian times (cf. Job 1-2; Zechariah 3). The blood of Christ has undermined the grounds of every charge that Satan might bring against the brethren [Romans 8:33-34]. Satan is cast to the earth. He cannot accuse the saints before God any longer, as they overcame his accusations by appeal to the atoning blood of the Lamb (vs. 11). They also take territory from the satanic kingdom by the word of their testimony (that is, preaching the gospel), and by their willingness to die rather than be intimidated by persecution (vs. 11).
Interesting in this light is a statement that Jesus made to His disciples in response to a question from Judas: “I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on Me…” (John 14:30).
Verse 12: Again quoting Steve Gregg (p. 268), “A woe is pronounced upon the inhabitants of the earth [or land] (v. 12) since the thwarted dragon is now limited in his range of activity and will vent his wrath both upon the saints and upon the apostate Jews. His intention is to stamp out the church before it can extend itself as a globally entity. Since Jesus indicated [Matt. 24:14] that this would be accomplished within a single generation (Matt. 16:28; 24:34), the dragon has only a short time (vs. 12) to stamp out the infant movement. Thus, he goes to war with the remaining seed of the woman.”[In our study of Revelation so far, we have suggested that many of the references to “the earth” in the book of Revelation are not meant to be taken as worldwide in scope, but as dealing instead with the land of Israel/Palestine. In a 3-part study on this subjectbeginning with this post, I have outlined nearly 20 instances where this appears to be the case.]Verses 13-16: The escape of the woman on the wings of a great eagle has long been held by preterists to refer to the escape of the Judean church during the invasion of Rome from 67-70 AD. This is the time, says David Chilton (Gregg, p. 270), when “in obedience to Christ’s commands (Matt. 24:15-28), the Christians escaped to shelter in the caves of the desert.” Steve Gregg continues, “The wings of a great eagle (v. 14) which carry the woman to safety are an echo of the Exodus, in which God told Israel that He had carried them out of Egypt on eagles’ wings (Exodus 19:14). Like the woman in this vision, Israel had been delivered from the dragon (cf. Psalm 74:13-14; Ezek. 32:2) and sustained by God in the wilderness.” Steve Gregg then quotes from Steve Farrer, who adds,
The woman is treated as the congregation of Israel, saved from Egypt, lifted by the Lord on eagles’ pinions and brought to Sinai. The dragon’s pursuit of her by throwing a waterflood after her is a generalized image for the action of Pharaoh, who [1] commands Israelite children and especially Moses to be washed down the Nile, [2] comes out after escaping Israel with a host, and [3] counts on the Red Sea to shut Israel in.
However, “Satan’s attempt to destroy the Church” in the first century was no more successful than Pharaoh’s attempt to wipe out the Israelites in his day, because “the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth” (verse 16). David Chilton (Gregg, p. 274) sees this verse as suggesting that, with the woman (God’s faithful remnant) gone from Jerusalem/Judea/Galilee, “the land of Israel swallows up the river of wrath, absorbing the blow in her place.” This principle of God looking out for His people was to be true not only in the first century, but also throughout the centuries even up to our own time, as God sustains His people in the midst of persecutions of all kinds. This is not to say that believers will be spared from suffering and death–and we do know that a tremendous number of believers have been martyred during the last century–but this is to say that God walks with His people through the fiercest of trials and sustains His people even when the enemy strikes his hardest.Verse 17: “The dragon became furious with the woman” and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring.” Satan failed in his purpose to destroy the “sealed ones” (see the chapter 7 study) by the Jerusalem holocaust, i.e. the war against national Israel culminating in Jerusalem’s destruction in 70 AD. Instead of admitting defeat, writes Steve Gregg (p. 276), he “continued his attack against not only the woman (the Jewish church), but also the rest of her offspring (v. 17). This must refer to the Gentiles brought into God’s family through the Jewish remnant church.” Jay Adams adds, “This is true spiritual Israel, the present seed of Abraham. Thus the transition is completed. For a short time, Satan is permitted to prevail over the people of God during the great Roman persecution… (cf. Dan. 7:21, 22).” Concludes Steve Gregg (p. 276), “The next attack upon the saints will be seen as conducted through Satan’s agents, the two beasts who arise in the next chapter.”Revelation Chapter 12 | Pursuing Truth

cont

Dec 26, 2012
cont

[h=2]C. Historicist View:[/h][Source: Sam Storms, War in Heaven, War on Earth: A Study in Revelation 12, November 7, 2006]
[a] http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com/article/war-in-heaven-war-on-earth-a-study-in-revelation-12-part-i/
http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com/article/war-in-heaven-war-on-earth-a-study-in-revelation-12-part-ii/

• Sam Storms sees Revelation 12-14 as a parenthesis between the seven trumpet judgments and the seven bowl judgments
  • What is shown in chapter 12 is a picture of the spiritual conflict between the world and the Church
  • The heart of John’s message in this chapter is that “although Satan is the principal source of the persecution of God’s people, he has been decisively defeated by Christ, a victory in which we now share even in the midst of suffering and martyrdom.”
Verse 1: Storms notes various interpretations for the woman throughout history:[1] Eve
[2] Mary, the mother of Jesus
[3] Mary Baker Eddy and other female cult leaders
[4] “the bride, the heavenly Jerusalem of Rev. 19:7-8; 21:9-10”
[5] exclusively OT Israel (John Walvoord)
[6] exclusively the NT church

• Here is Sam’s personal viewpoint (which I would agree with): “The most probable interpretation is that the woman symbolizes what we might call the believing messianic community: both OT Israel and NT Church. Later in the chapter we read that when the woman is persecuted she flees into the wilderness and has other children who are described as faithful Christians. In other words,the woman is both the community of faith that produced the Messiah and the community of faith that subsequently follows and obeys him. John clearly envisioned an organic and spiritual continuity between OT Israel and the Church. They are one body of believers.”
  • Storms also notes the following: “In the OT a woman often represents Israel (see Isa. 52:2; 54:1-6; 61:10; 62:1-5,11; 66:7-13). This imagery is also used of the Church in the NT (see 2 Cor. 11:2; Eph. 5:31-32; 2 John 1; cf. Rev. 21:2,9; 22:17). The imagery of a woman in the pains of childbirth is also a common one in the Bible, and is used often of Israel in distress. See Isa. 21:3; 26:17-18; 37:3; 51:2-3; 54:1-3; 65:9,23; cf. 66:10 and 22; Jer. 4:31; 6:24; 13:21; 22:23; 30:6; Micah 4:9). Isa. 66:7 is especially vivid, for there we find the metaphor of Israel bearing a child to indicate the arrival of the period of salvation and restoration.”
  • Regarding the 12 stars: “At minimum, the 12 stars would seem to stand both for the 12 tribes of Israel and the reconstitution and continuation of true Israel in the 12 apostles of the church.”
Verse 2: “The woman is pregnant and suffering birth pangs. On the one hand, this represents the longing expectation and anticipation of the Messiah’s birth on the part of those in the OT community of faith (cf. Luke 2:25-38). But it is also a symbolic reference to the persecution of the covenant community and the messianic line during the period of the OT leading up to Christ’s coming. That persecution is in view is evident from the word translated “in pain” ( basanizo). This term is used in the NT of suffering, punishment, trial, and persecution (Matthew 8:6,29; 14:24; Mark 5:7; 6:48; Luke 8:28; 2 Peter 2:8) and in Revelation of torment inflicted by demons (9:5) or by God (11:10; 14:10; 20:10).”Verse 3: “The word “dragon” (drakon) is used in the OT (LXX) for the evil sea monster that symbolizes kingdoms that oppose and oppress Israel (especially Egypt and Pharaoh). See especially Pss. 74:13-14; 89:10; Isa. 30:7; 51:9; Ezek. 29:3 (where Pharaoh is called “the great dragon”); 32:2-3; Hab. 3:8-15. But the “dragon” in Rev. 12 is more than an evil kingdom(s). It also stands for Satan, the one who both represents and energizes all individual and corporate opposition to the kingdom and persecution of the people of God (see 12:9; 20:2, 10).”Verse 4: “The picture of the dragon sweeping away one-third of the stars of heaven is probably taken from Daniel 8:10. There we read of a ‘little horn’ that ‘grew up to the host of heaven and caused some of the host and some of the stars to fall to the earth, and it trampled them down.’ The ‘little horn’ is clearly a reference to Antiochus Epiphanes IV, eighth ruler in the Seleucid line, 175-164 b.c. (he died in 163).”
  • Storms does not see this verse then as the angelic hosts which fell from heaven with Lucifer, and who now function as demons. Rather, just as Antiochus Epiphanes was a persecutor of God’s people in the OT, “Rev. 12:4 is probably describing the persecution by Satan of God’s people [in the NT], perhaps even their martyrdom.”
  • Storms further notes that this event is seen to take place “immediately before the birth of Jesus, whereas most believe that the angelic rebellion occurred prior to creation, or at least no later than the events of Genesis 6.”
  • Storms cites another interpretation of this verse: “Some have suggested the ‘falling’ of these ‘stars’ refers to the deceived in Israel who apostatize from the faith and were therefore never fully identified with the 12 stars of v. 1.”
Verse 5: Storms says, “The deliverance in v. 5b is not protection from death but resurrection and ascension. The allusion to the prophecy of Ps. 2:7-9 indicates that whereas this will be consummated at the end of the age (see Rev. 19:15), an inaugurated fulfillment has already begun (see Rev. 2:26-28). Jesus has ‘already’ received the authority spoken of in the Psalm but has ‘not yet’ manifested that authority in its fullness. In the ancient near east, the birthday of a king was not the beginning of his physical existence but the day of his accession to the throne and the taking of regal power. Thus the day on which the “Son” is “begotten” is the resurrection, the day of his glorification and subsequent exaltation to the right hand of the majesty on high (see Acts 13:33).”Verse 6: “Whereas the woman in v. 1 was primarily the covenant community of believers prior to the incarnation of Jesus, the woman in v. 6 is the covenant community of believers subsequent to his resurrection. But it is the same, one people of God, the one olive tree, predominantly Jewish in v. 1 (in its OT manifestation) and a glorious, universal mixture in v. 2 (in its NT manifestation).”
  • Some, mostly preterists, have taken this as a literal, physical escape of Christians to Pella (modern Tabaqat Fahil, 20 miles south of the Sea of Galilee) as they fled the Roman seige of Jerusalem in 66 a.d., a view that is obviously only as good as the argument for a pre-70 a.d. authorship of the book.”
  • Dispensational pretribulational premillennialists, i.e., those who hold to an exclusively futurist interpretation of the book, contend that whereas v. 5 speaks of events in the first century, v. 6 speaks of events at the end of the age. I agree with Beale that ‘such a temporal hiatus can be read into the text only by a prior end-time scheme that an interpreter brings to the text’ (642; emphasis mine).“
  • “Steven Gregg mentions Hal Lindsey’s futuristic interpretation of v. 14 and ‘the two wings of the great eagle.’ Says Lindsey: ‘Some kind of massive airlift will rapidly transport these fleeing Jews across the rugged terrain to their place of protection. Since the eagle is the national symbol of the United States, it’s possible that the airlift will be made available by aircraft from the U.S. Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean’ (179; !!!).”
  • Storms believes that the 1260 days represents “the entire inter-advent age, and not some chronologically precise 3 ½ year period at the end of history.”
Verses 7-9: Storms says, “I believe it is because of the incarnation, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus that this defeat of the Devil occurs, indeed, has already occurred. Michael and his angels are given the task of expelling Satan consequent to the victory of Jesus at the time of His first coming (Lk. 10:18).”
  • “Satan’s accusations no longer have any legal or moral force following his defeat at the cross. This, I believe, is the meaning of his being ‘thrown down’ and there no longer being a ‘place found for them in heaven.’ In other words, this is not a description of a literal or spatial or geographical change in the devil’s dwelling place.”
Verse 10: “The fact that Satan has been defeated, that the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus have stripped him of his legal right to accuse the brethren is evidence that the ‘kingdom’ of God and the ‘authority’ of Christ have been inaugurated. Thus 12:10 does not merely anticipate the final and consummate coming of God’s kingdom but celebrates the presence of the kingdom in the here and now. See Mt. 12:28.
  • “There is also a correspondence or parallel between Satan’s fall in Rev. 12:10 and what we read in John 12:31-33. In this latter passage Jesus relates his impending work on the cross and his triumph over death in the resurrection to the demise of the devil: ‘”Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world shall be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die.’”
Verse 11: “Satan wins whenever we treasure anything more than Jesus… When you prioritize your life so that nothing means more to you than Jesus, you deprive Satan of any legal right to your heart or mind; you undermine and shortcircuit his power to influence your soul.”Verse 12: “Note the description of saints in heaven as, literally, “tabernacling” there. The point is that they abide in a heavenly temple, i.e., in the very presence of God himself.”
  • Storms adds, “’he [the devil] has only a short time.’ This ‘short time’ = the 3 ½, 1,260 days, 42 months of 11:2-3; 12:6, 14 and 13:5.” As already noted, Storms sees this as a non-literal period of time, representing the Church age.
Verses 13-14: “These verses pick up where vv. 6 and 12 leave off. Failing to destroy the ‘child’ (Jesus), Satan turns his destructive attention to the ‘woman’, i.e., the people of God = the church.”Verses 15-16: “Here the devil’s persecution of the church is described in the vivid imagery of water pouring forth from the serpent’s mouth in an effort to drown the woman. Again, some preterists want to find the fulfillment of this statement in the flooding of the Jordan river in 68 a.d. which prevented many Jews from escaping their Roman enemies, the result of which was their slaughter.”
  • “Historically speaking, one cannot help but recall the persecution of the church by Nero (late 60’s), Domitian (90’s), Marcus Aurelius (late 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] century), Decius (@ 250 a.d.), Diocletian and Galerius (303-311 a.d.), and the almost unimaginable persecutions that we witnessed in the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century.”
  • “In addition to the above, vv. 15-16 also allude to the barrier of the Red Sea during Israel’s exodus from Egypt which God overcame and even turned against their enemies. In the Song of Moses we read: ‘Thou didst stretch out Thy right hand, the earth swallowed them’ (Exod. 15:12). This was done so that Israel could then proceed to God’s ‘holy habitation’ (Exod. 15:13; ‘holy resting place’ in LXX) which God had ‘prepared’ (Exod. 15:17; LXX) for them. Later in the wilderness ‘the earth opened its mouth and swallowed’ the families of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram because of their resistance to Moses’ leadership (Num. 16:12-14; Deut. 11:5-6; Ps. 106:17).”

Revelation Chapter 12 | Pursuing Truth

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Revelation Chapter 11

[5] Kenneth Gentry (1998): “If John wrote about literal Jerusalem (“where also their Lord was crucified”) twenty-five years after the destruction of the literal Temple (as per the evangelically formulated late date argument), it would seem most improbable that he would speak of the Temple as if it were still standing. The symbol would be confusing in its blatant anachronism. The Temple is required to be standing for the symbolical action of the vision to have any meaning. John uses the future tense when he speaks of the nations’ treading down the city. As just stated, this is not a reminiscence of a past event, but rather a future expectation.” (Before Jerusalem Fell, p.175)[/COLOR]
sounds absolutely reasonable.
in fact the alternative is impossible.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Revelation Chapter 11

Therefore it may be that John was (symbolically) measuring the Church which would be trampled (persecuted) for 42 months (see Rev. 13:5-7). Given the similarity between this passage and Luke 21:24, the physical temple was also probably being alluded to. It may be that both ideas were being spoken of in this case (more will be said on this later in this post).

David Chilton may be on to something, then, as in the quote above he referred to a division between the holy and the profane. That may very well be what John is seeing contrasted here. In other words, the desolate physical temple (cf. Matthew 23:38) would soon disappear, and only God’s holy temple (His people) would remain standing (cf. Hebrews 8:13, 12:18-29).
this is actually what it seemed to me the first few times i read it.
over time you hear these other ideas and it gets muddled.
but it's pretty clear what john was seeing.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Revelation Chapter 11

• Rev 11:2 says that the holy city will be “trampled” for 42 months. This prophecy is remarkably similar to the one spoken by Jesus in Luke 21:24, where it is said that “Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.”And Luke 21:24 is commonly believed to be referring to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

• The “holy city” is Jerusalem as described in 11:8.

• 42 months is the length of time that historians say the Roman army attacked and destroyed the city of Jerusalem.

This 42 months covers the period from March 67 AD – September 70 AD, that is, from the time that Rome declared war on Israel (and Vespasian marched into Judea, Galilee, and on toward Jerusalem) until Jerusalem and the Second Temple were destroyed.

From Scripture we know that Jerusalem had been known historically as “the holy city” (Nehemiah 11:1; Isaiah 48:2, 52:1; Daniel 9:24; Matthew 4:5; Matthew 27:53), and this was still its historic designation despite the fact that Jesus had pronounced it desolate (Matt. 23:38).

]In 1851, Moses Stuart (Professor at Andover Theological Seminary) made the following remarks concerning Revelation 11:2 and the trampling of the holy city for 42 months, his point being that the mention of “the holy city” also referred to Israel as a whole:“Jerusalem, as being the metropolis, is, as often in the Old Testament, made the symbol or representative of the whole country or nation. The reader needs only to be reminded, how often Zion and Jerusalem stand, in prophetic language, as the representatives of the Jewish government, polity, land, and nation, in order to accede to the position, that thecapitals in the Apocalypse are to be considered as the symbols of the country and of the government to which they belong.“When John therefore predicts, in Rev. 11:2, that “the holy city shall be trodden under foot 42 months,” this of course involves the idea, that the country of which the holy city is the capital, is also trodden under foot.

The measuring of the Temple is patterned, like so much of the book of Revelation, after the book of Ezekiel. In Ezekiel we are shown an angel of the Lord measuring the Temple representing the future for Jerusalem and God’s Holy people after a return from exile. Conversely, John measures the temple to determine its soon coming destruction and its being ‘trampled’ for 42 months…What John does, though, is give us a beautiful, symbolic picture of God’s preserving work, for only the outer courts of the Temple are seen as being trampled, while the Temple Proper (Holy Place and Holy of Holies) is preserved. This would be God’s remnant preserved through the soon coming wrath and destruction. The physical Temple faced the wrath of God and His judgment, but His true Temple – the Church – survived and thrived amidst the persecution and tribulation…

God here, in this interlude between the sixth and seventh trumpets, is once again showing His protection of His people. He has measured them out and has determined to protect them through the 3 1/2 year time of judgment set against apostate Israel and the physical representation of the old and obsolete Covenant, the Temple.
given the previous portions of this study, knowing how bad it really was, this is perfectly clear.

Kenneth Gentry (p. 174) writes in a similar manner, saying that “the measuring of the Temple is for the preservation of its innermost aspects, i.e., the…altar, and worshippers within (Rev. 11:1).” He adds,This seems to refer to the inner-spiritual idea of the Temple in the New Covenant era that supercedes the material Temple of the Old Covenant era. Thus, while judgment is about to be brought upon Israel, Jerusalem, and the literal Temple complex, this prophecy speaks also of the preservation of God’s new Temple, the Church…that had its birth in and was originally headquartered at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47; Acts 1:8; 8:1; 15:2). Notice that after the holocaust, the altar is seen in heaven (Rev. 11:18), whence Christ’s kingdom originates (John 18:36; Heb. 1:3) and where Christians have their citizenship (Eph. 2:6; Col. 3:1, 2).

The external court of the Temple complex, however, is not “measured”; it is “cast out”… All the Israelites who refuse the new priesthood of baptism are cast out and their Temple destroyed. The Temple is not destined for preservation, “for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months” (v. 2). The prior prophecy of Christ (Matt. 24:2) absolutely prohibits any expectation of even a partial preservation of the literal Temple.
i'm convinced.