Do we have the power to do miracles?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
But God did the miracles, not Elijah or Elisha.
Yes, I am totally in agreement with that. I think I may have misunderstood the topic, I thought it was more about does God do/still do miracles through us. Flesh within itself has no power; whether for good or evil we have access to power through spirit.

Dec 14, 2013
Yes, by the power of Jesus Christ He can do miracles through us. It is one of the spiritual gifts. See 1 Corinthians 12:7-11

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
I just started to read a book called miracles can be yours today and was inspired by it. This book even though i only just started reading it speaks of how we can do the same things as the apostles with the same holy spirit with tongues as they had. even gave an account by how a small group of church ppl decided to test this belief by putting their hands on a girl and asked God to pour unto her the same holy spirit as he gave unto the apostles. and suddenly she was and began speaking in tongues.Reading this story made me want to see if this could be true. A thought ran through my head of the scripture to test all spirits but not in the way to see if its true but almost as if God was telling me to test him in this and i remembered ask and you shall receive. but i thought to myself surely it cannot be that simple, but i wanted to try anyways. I got on my knees and before asking for the holy spirit as he gave the apostles Asked God that if i am asking this without the right heart or motive to say no but give me such a heart and motive that he seeks. I then asked God for such a spirit as the apostles but not for me to use on myself but to heal, clean and love others. for it to be out of love for both God and all his children. I asked but i knew my faith is not near strong enough. i told him how i cannot say to this mountain to move or fall and it happen. so i did not use my faith but gave it all to him, asking him to take the reins and do as his will is even if the answer is no.tbh i feel inside i am supposed to be doing something more here, there seems to be a connection with God my soul longs and craves so deeply inside that i have yet to receive.There is something so much more than what i am seeing here.I feel no different so perhaps he replied no or more likely not yet, maybe my heart is not ready yet. although just the fact i wanted to try is a huge leap of faith for me, so any thoughts?
my dear beloved it pleases me to se you are seeking God wants to see your faith forthether leap at pentewcost the apostleswaited till the holy spirit fell upon them i was endowed with the spirit at an young age without his anointing i would have gone astray and been losI got to experience his power his miracles but true salvation comes from the word of jesus but to prperly discern one needs jesus then the spirit of wisdom will com where are you located at?

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I would say no, we do not have the power to do miracles.

Maybe God can do miracles through us but how can we know unless someone sees it actually occur.

If someone could demonstrate Gods power, they would make history and win a million bucks!

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
God is the provider, we are the vehicle through which it happens. Sorry to say the doubting Thomas will not accept the miraculous even when they see it and the fact is plenty of miracles have been seen but it seems that all those who saw them and told others are all liars.

Everyday, God's power is being demonstrated but it is not about money. It is about revealing who God is and as far as I can see God doesn't need the publicity as he is very secure in who he is. After all he IS God.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Only the word of God is reliable in Spiritual matters. For every example of healing there are examples of God allowing His saints to suffer.
I fail to see the relevance of this claim. We are not talking about a contest between God healing and not healing or how many healings God does and how many he doesn't do.

Allowing his saints to suffer is another topic altogether and the fact that they do is no evidence as to whether God heals or not.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that reading through the stories of Elijah and Elisha that they spoke and God honoured their words?
Yes I have. I did a study of God speaking and could not help notice that God spoke all the time in the Old Testament to His people and various individuals.

Today, most people have told me that they have never heard from God directly. I guess when you are bound up in religion, you don't have time for relationship.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Yes I have. I did a study of God speaking and could not help notice that God spoke all the time in the Old Testament to His people and various individuals.

Today, most people have told me that they have never heard from God directly. I guess when you are bound up in religion, you don't have time for relationship.
You probably need to back to Hebrews 1 and see what it says about God speaking now through His Son.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I fail to see the relevance of this claim. We are not talking about a contest between God healing and not healing or how many healings God does and how many he doesn't do.

Allowing his saints to suffer is another topic altogether and the fact that they do is no evidence as to whether God heals or not.
How shall I contain my surprise?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Each piece is put on with prayer
.Put on the whole armour of God....where does it say with prayer?

We do not go about spoiling for a battle that we are hopelessly outmatched against the foe. The battle is already won for Christ has risen from the grave and ascended on high.
Your comment is contradictory. You say we are hopelessly outmatched against the foe and then you say the battle is already won. If the battle is already won, how can we be outmatched, especially when the Word tells us that greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world. That doesn't indicate we are outmatched.

When Jesus was tempted by the devil he said "It is written..." He did not say "This is my interpretation of what is written...."

Nov 30, 2012
No, You cannot perform miracles. Only God can perform miracles. He can do them for us, if He so wishes, but there is a difference.

presidente

May 29, 2013
My friend, you're an apostle. I wouldn't heed to the teachings of this book if I were you. The purpose of those apostolic signs and wonders was to confirm the word they were speaking. The apostolic ministry has ceased.
God bless.
Some people still preach the same message those apostles did. So there is no need for signs and wonders to cease.

I Corinthians 12 also lists the working of miracles given to members of the body for the common good. The latter end of the chapter lists different ministries, apostles, prophets, teachers, miracles, ect. So apparently there are those who work miracles who are not apostles.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Miracles prove nothing
in fact in the end of times the false church will have the miracles

Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

The most evil people will do the greatest miracles
Rev 13:11 And I beheld another beast (Evil country with power) coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast (Evil country with power) before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast (Evil country with power), whose deadly wound was healed.
Rev 13:13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
Rev 13:14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
Rev 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast (Evil country with power), that the image of the beast (Evil country with power)should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

So
if you are susceeptible to miracles, you will be decieved soon.

the false christ that glows with glory and heals the sick DOES NOT HAVE SCARS IN HIS HANDS because the false christ is not allowed to have scars in his hands
it is a false christ, he will claim to have changed Sabbath to Sunday, this is how you will know he is a false christ, God cannot change his law, he cannot make a mistake.
I haven't seen anything in the Bible about a false Christ not being allowed to have scars on his hands. Anyone could injure themselves if they wanted to.

The Bible doesn't teach paranoia against miracles. The Bible teaches that there are true prophets and false prophets. This was the case in Old Testament times. After Elijah killed off the prophets of Ba'al and Ashurah, Ahab had a bunch of 'yes men' prophets promising victory in the name of the LORD. Jehosophat knew better. He asked if there were a prophet of the LORD. Ahab said yes, 'but he never says anything good about me.' In Jeremiah's time, there were false prophets who prophesied against what he said.

Jesus warned about false prophets, but he also said he would send forth prophets, wise men, and scribes. Then He ascended on high and gave gifts to men, including prophets. The Bible tells us that in the last days, God would pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. In I Corinthians 12, we see that the working of miracles is one of the gifts that operates among the saints. The book of Revelation shows us that these deceivers work miracles, but so do the two witnesses, who shut up the heavens and prophesy.

The Bible instructs us to desire earnestly the best gifts, not to be paranoid about them. The apostles prayed that God would stretch forth His hand to do signs and wonders. We must hold on the the truth no matter what, but we shouldn't be scared or paranoid about signs and wonders. Rather, we should desire spiritual gifts and be zealous after gifts that edify the church.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Of course the most obvious thing about all this is that if there are false prophets, then there must be genuine prophets because you cannot have a false prophet unless you have a genuine prophet. You need the false to know what the genuine is.

Likewise, you need counterfeit miracles so that you know what is not counterfeit, so in fact the counterfeit serves a purpose. As the scriptures say ALL things work together for good......

It is only the doubting Thomas who does not believe ALL things work together for good.

Last edited:
A

anthony_chua

You face your greatest opposition when your closest to your biggest miracle.
The Moment you are ready to quit is usually the Moment right before the Miracle happens. When God is about to give you your miracle, things may become worse. When you are frustrated with the obstacles you are facing — when you really doubt that "all things work together for good," remember you are closer to your miracle than you think. In time, God will reveal the beauty of what He is doing in your life. God is working behind the scenes for your good even when nothing seems to be happening. Read More : Draw Near To God: Miracles Don't Happen Overnight

D

danalee

I just started to read a book called miracles can be yours today and was inspired by it. This book even though i only just started reading it speaks of how we can do the same things as the apostles with the same holy spirit with tongues as they had. even gave an account by how a small group of church ppl decided to test this belief by putting their hands on a girl and asked God to pour unto her the same holy spirit as he gave unto the apostles. and suddenly she was and began speaking in tongues.Reading this story made me want to see if this could be true. A thought ran through my head of the scripture to test all spirits but not in the way to see if its true but almost as if God was telling me to test him in this and i remembered ask and you shall receive. but i thought to myself surely it cannot be that simple, but i wanted to try anyways. I got on my knees and before asking for the holy spirit as he gave the apostles Asked God that if i am asking this without the right heart or motive to say no but give me such a heart and motive that he seeks. I then asked God for such a spirit as the apostles but not for me to use on myself but to heal, clean and love others. for it to be out of love for both God and all his children. I asked but i knew my faith is not near strong enough. i told him how i cannot say to this mountain to move or fall and it happen. so i did not use my faith but gave it all to him, asking him to take the reins and do as his will is even if the answer is no.tbh i feel inside i am supposed to be doing something more here, there seems to be a connection with God my soul longs and craves so deeply inside that i have yet to receive.There is something so much more than what i am seeing here.I feel no different so perhaps he replied no or more likely not yet, maybe my heart is not ready yet. although just the fact i wanted to try is a huge leap of faith for me, so any thoughts?
Stay humble and faithful, obey and listen. Yield to God's glory every minute. You don't need to read a book on miracles, they will happen all around you. Everything good comes from God. The power is not in ourselves but through him. If our faith pleases him, and if it is a good thing, he will grant healing or a miracle. If it is not a good thing, he will remain silent. The problem with focusing on raising this ability in ourselves is it may become a sorcery and a work of the devil if we believe we have any kind of power. All glory is his​.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I'm going to give you an analogy from scripture. First however I want to point you to Mark 16:20
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following.

Signs and wonders, healing, and deliverance all confirm the Word. "By His stripes you are healed" the Word says, so what happens when you preach on healing? "The Lord working with them... confirming the word with signs following." Just wanted to share this first, but now to the analogy.

I wrote this on my FB a long time ago and even I was surprised by its conclusion (didnt even know I knew that, glory to God)
I don't know where this mentality came from but its obviously false. The idea that you never see miracles happening or you won't receive a miracle because it will be too obvious for others of the reality of God. People ask, "How come miracles aren't recorded and when they are its so low quality?" Its a mindset that may have crept into a believer's mind that they don't get their miracles because it would declare the reality of God without a doubt. Yet, what is the purpose of signs and miracles according to the bible? To glorify God. So, how is it that people believe God won't do anything too obvious otherwise people would know He exists and yet the very reason for miracles is to glorify God?

It could be that people believe that God wants individuals to believe based upon faith(not by seeing but believing). While that is true, didn't Peter walk out on the water while seeing Jesus? Wasn't his faith activated upon seeing the supernatural? So, why would you believe that God won't heal you in the midst of your family, friends or even your church, if it is for the very purpose of glorifying God? Not only that, but it very well may be the means to activation they need to believe in Christ.
For them to step out on the water and trust in Jesus.

So you see, miracles do have a purpose, here and in the now. They glorify God, they are manifestations of His love, they are representations of Christ's scourging, they are done to confirm the Word. As the saying goes, "Gods not dead, He's surely alive!" And He is working powerfully in the world today, as He was on the Day of Pentecost. To that I say, glory to God and hallelujah!