Does a saved person HAVE TO BE BAPTIZED?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

"And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16). Listen people! Baptism is a commandment or requirement for salvation. To reject baptism is death; so, why will you die? Every soul that is baptized honors God and every soul that rejects baptism dishonors God. "And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." (Luke 7:29-30). People, if you are in a position to be baptized, why reject the counsel of God? Rejecting God's counsel will get you eternal life in the burning flames (lake of fire) with the scribes and Pharisees. "For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, Ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5: 20). Anyone that is not baptized is a person with their sins yet upon them, because it is the baptism that washes away our past sins. "And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:16): Remember, before his crucifixion, Jesus told his disciples that his time (death) is not yet come; He also informed them that their time (death) can come at any moment. Brothers and sisters I beg of you, don't delay your baptism. Also, Jesus said with his own mouth; (Matt. 24:13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
and anyone who believes this will be damned, because your trusting self for eternal life. and not God.

your replacing the work of God with the work of men, which jesus calls blasphemy of the spirit. be warned.

God gave us a bunch of commands and we will never be saved by doing or not doing any of them, the only way we could is to be perfect. which we have already failed to do, and will always fail to do.

S

StephenH

In my view and belief, no, you don't have to be baptized to be a saved.

It is an outward showing of inner faith and belief though.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Must a person be baptised to have their sins forgiven?

A person is powerfully convicted of their sin by the Holy Spirit. They kneel on the floor, tears streaming down their cheeks and cry out to God to forgive them their sin, and they ask Christ into their life as Lord and Saviour, and believe this has been done.

What will God say at this point?

'I will forgive you, but not yet, only once you have been Baptised.'

Doesn't sound right to me.
Acts 8:36
36As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn’t I be baptized?”f 38And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

Jan 11, 2013
Acts 8:36
36As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn’t I be baptized?”f 38And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.
You stalking me Zone?

Amen to your scripture BTW. Not sure why you have written it in response to my post though

J

jessybaby

SALVATION must come first, a person has to be genuie born again, then digest the word of God, live by it, and be prayerful, by doing this, he or she become a true disciple of JESUS . it is good for a saved person to be baptised ,because without baptism it woild be real difficult to walk with holyspirit,and you GOD is a spirit and whosoever must walk with him must also be in spiriit

G

GreenNnice

A good friend of mine once told me that if I am a born-again Christian/Saved I should really pray about being baptized. I told him that I was baptized already when I was 5 years old. He said that once we are saved we are suppose to be baptized again. Can someone please shed more light on this subject, perhaps with some biblical refrences? Please!

God bless you all!
Yes, no, maybe, the Lord leads :) Stay fast to Him milady, blessed&saved :)

zone

Jun 13, 2010
You stalking me Zone?

Amen to your scripture BTW. Not sure why you have written it in response to my post though
tsk
you weren't sposed to notice til next year:mad:

for real?
no...rest assured.
really....not.
*cough*

no offense or anything...just...you know.

C

CDavid

I don't see that you Must be baptized to be saved. I do question why a person doesn't want to, or not have the desire be baptized though.
My son is just as saved as anyone. He is now 14 years old. But because of his autism, he is terrified of water, could not learn to swim, and only recently started taking showers rather than baths. I do not think being dunked in water will make him more saved. I've known others who have extreme aquaphobia. I understand their fear, when I think of my own fear of heights. If baptism was from a high dive I would decline.

At any rate, I believe that, as circumcision of the heart is more important to God than the physical circumcision of the flesh, so too baptism in the spirit is more important to God than the physical baptism of water.

Bless you and yours

T

Therapon

My son is just as saved as anyone. He is now 14 years old. But because of his autism, he is terrified of water, could not learn to swim, and only recently started taking showers rather than baths. I do not think being dunked in water will make him more saved.
The Didache, 85AD, also known as "the teachings of the Apostles," states that the 1st century practice for baptism was pouring. There are also pictures on the walls of Roman catacombs showing new believers being poured over . . . once in the name of God the Father, once in the name of Jesus Christ His Son and once in the Holy Spirit.

Point being (with all due respect for Baptist doctrine), historically your son doesn't need to be "dunked." Pouring will do just fine, and you don't need 10 gallons of water to do it, scaring your son half to death. I have baptized with a little more than 1/2 a cup of water, total. The Lord is concerned with obedience to His word, terrorizing your son is not included <smile>.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kefa52

My son is just as saved as anyone. He is now 14 years old. But because of his autism, he is terrified of water, could not learn to swim, and only recently started taking showers rather than baths. I do not think being dunked in water will make him more saved. I've known others who have extreme aquaphobia. I understand their fear, when I think of my own fear of heights. If baptism was from a high dive I would decline.

At any rate, I believe that, as circumcision of the heart is more important to God than the physical circumcision of the flesh, so too baptism in the spirit is more important to God than the physical baptism of water.

Bless you and yours
OK, So when I say I would question why someone wouldn't want to be baptized. Your son has a legitimate reason.
Possibly some day when he is older he will be baptized.Possibly not. Time will tell.

T

Tan

and anyone who believes this will be damned, because your trusting self for eternal life. and not God.

your replacing the work of God with the work of men, which jesus calls blasphemy of the spirit. be warned.

God gave us a bunch of commands and we will never be saved by doing or not doing any of them, the only way we could is to be perfect. which we have already failed to do, and will always fail to do.

I notice how you spoke to me as if I wrote the BIble, I just quoted simple verses out the BIBle that says exaclty what they mean. Most of verses where Jesus words, not Paul, but Jesus!! Take it or leave it!!

T

Tan

If people truly love God, then they will obey "Every word" that proceeds out of his mouth (Matthew 4:4). Baptism is one of those words. In order to be baptized, certain events must take place: You must give up a lifestyle where sin has dominion, (ruler ship) over you. Sin according to 1 John 3:4, Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression (breaking) of the law. You must be taught "The Word", before you can adhere to God's commandments (judgments\statues). These laws are found in the Holy Bible; beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation. You must believe what the bible says and finally, you must confess that Jesus is Lord. Once this has been accomplished, you are qualified to be baptized in the name of Jesus.

C

CDavid

The Didache, 85AD, also known as "the teachings of the Apostles," states that the 1st century practice for baptism was pouring. There are also pictures on the walls of Roman catacombs showing new believers being poured over . . . once in the name of God the Father, once in the name of Jesus Christ His Son and once in the Holy Spirit.

Point being (with all due respect for Baptist doctrine), historically your son doesn't need to be "dunked." Pouring will do just fine, and you don't need 10 gallons of water to do it, scaring your son half to death. I have baptized with a little more than 1/2 a cup of water, total. The Lord is concerned with obedience to His word, terrorizing your son is not included <smile>.
Sure I could pour or sprinkle water on him. But, that's not a baptism.

Dec 5, 2012
What I see is that Jesus did not had to do it, but He did. I think this way is more than show and tell.

Q

quickfire

I found this useful article for you.
Sometimes people wonder whether or not the baptism of John should still be practiced today. Some claim that å do practice John's baptism.

Please read Acts 19:1-6. When Paul came to Ephesus on his third preaching trip, he found some disciples there and asked them whether they had received the Holy Spirit when they believed. Paul evidently assumed they were already saved. If he had not, he would have asked them to begin with about their relationship to Jesus. Hence, Paul's question implies he assumed they had been saved but might not have received miraculous powers of the Spirit (cf. 1 Cor. 12:29,30; Acts 8:12-19).

The men responded that they had never heard of such a thing as the Holy Spirit (vv 1,2). This would imply they did not know much about the gospel and specifically they had not heard of the coming of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. Since Pentecost, men had been preaching the gospel by the guidance of the Holy Spirit and had confirmed their message by miracles. The fact these men were ignorant of all this raised doubts about whether they heard the true gospel which was being preached since Pentecost (Acts 1:8). Therefore, Paul moved to the very basics and asked about their baptism.

The men then stated that they knew only the baptism of John. Paul responded by explaining why John's baptism was insufficient (v4). John's baptism, though it required repentance, yet looked forward to the coming of the One for whom John was a forerunner (Jesus). Jesus had not yet died when John baptized people. His was a baptism of preparation looking forward to Jesus' death (cf. Matthew 3:3; etc.).

This shows that John's baptism cannot be the baptism which Jesus commanded people to receive under the gospel (Mark 16:15,16; Matthew 28:18-20). The baptism of the gospel, looks backward to Jesus' death and resurrection as accomplished facts. We are baptized into His death, picturing His death, burial, and resurrection (Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12). Before we can be baptized, we must believe in Jesus as God's Son who has been raised from the dead (Rom. 10:9,10; cf. Mark 16:16; Acts 8:36-38). Clearly, John's baptism cannot be Scripturally applied to anyone after Jesus' death.

It is possible that not all the differences between John's baptism and gospel baptism have been revealed to us in the Scriptures, since we today don't need to know them all. It is sufficient for us to know John's baptism is not valid today and to understand the gospel baptism that is valid.

The people Paul was teaching clearly understood the impact of his teaching. They had received baptism, but it was not the baptism they needed to be saved. If they wanted to obey the gospel and receive salvation through Jesus' death, they had to be Scripturally baptized with gospel baptism in Jesus' name (cf. Acts 2:38). They did so (v5).

This teaches some important lessons for us today:

(1) If a person received a form of "baptism" which does not agree with the Scriptures, that baptism is not valid. The person has not really obeyed the gospel in baptism. Since baptism is essential to salvation, it must be done properly for the person to be saved. (See our web site at Bible Instruction|Christianity, Christian Religion, Theology for a study that shows the importance and proper purpose of baptism.)

(2) Specifically, it matters what understanding a person has about the purpose of baptism at the time when he is baptized. The men in this passage had been baptized by immersion (the proper action) and had even done it because God commanded it. Yet that was not enough. They also had to understand the proper connection between baptism and Jesus' death and resurrection. It follows that, in order to be Scripturally baptized, one must understand and believe that baptism is necessary to receive forgiveness by Jesus' blood, and he must do it for that reason (Acts 2:38; 22:16; Mark 16:16; Rom. 6:3,4; Gal. 3:26,27).

(3) There are some still today who claim that they are followers of John the Baptist, practicing his baptism, and even claiming to wear his name. These people are in the exact same condition as the men here, and they need to do what these men did. They need to receive the true baptism of the gospel Jesus, because they have not yet been properly baptized.

T

Therapon

Sure I could pour or sprinkle water on him. But, that's not a baptism.
Well, the 1st century church thought pouring was a baptism and that's easiiy proven, read the Didache.

C

CDavid

Well, the 1st century church thought pouring was a baptism and that's easiiy proven, read the Didache.

• Baptizo: "To make a thing dipped or dyed. To immerse for a religious purpose" (A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, E.W. Bullinger).
  • Baptizo: "Dip, immerse, mid. Dip oneself, wash (in non-Christian lit. also ‘plunge, sink, drench, overwhelm. . . .’)" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Arndt and Gingrich, p. 131).
  • Baptizo: "immersion, submersion" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Grimm-Thayer, p. 94).
  • Baptizo: "to dip, immerse, sink" (Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament, Abbott-Smith, p. 74).
  • Baptizo: "dip, plunge" (A Greek-English Lexicon, Liddell & Scott, p. 305).
  • Baptizo: "consisting of the process of immersion, submersion and emergence (from bapto, to dip)" (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).
  • Baptizo: "immerse, sumberge. The peculiar N.T. and Christian use of the word to denote immersion, submersion for a religious purpose" (Biblico-Theological Lexicon of the New Testament Greek, Cremer).
  • Baptizo: "to dip, immerse; to cleanse or purify by washing" (The New Analytical Greek Lexicon, Perschbacher, p. 66).
  • Baptizo: "to dip, to immerse, to sink. . . . There is no evidence that Luke or Paul and the other writers of the New Testament put upon this verb meanings not recognized by the Greeks" (Greek and English Lexicon, Sophocles).
This is sufficient for us to see that there is little controversy as to the meaning of the term baptizo as found in the Koine (common) Greek language of the first century. The standard Greek lexicons reveal that the term means to dip, to immerse, to plunge, to sink, to submerge, to overwhelm, and other synonyms. In one of the references, the result of the immersion is given—to purify through washing.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
It is not the amount of water that counts...it is what God has promised in baptism.

Gen. 17:1-14 - The Meaning of Infant Baptism <-link
thank you for posting this tribesman.

it seems like something happened along the way and the ppl became ashamed of infant baptism.

studies such as the one you provided were the last piece of the puzzle for me; both theologically and through personal experience.

love you
zone

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
thank you for posting this tribesman.

it seems like something happened along the way and the ppl became ashamed of infant baptism.

studies such as the one you provided were the last piece of the puzzle for me; both theologically and through personal experience.

love you
zone
Yep. Those old presbyterians, and some anglicans of course, convinced me too on this one.

Love you sis.