Does God still speak to the people in our time today?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
In John 5:39-40, here is what the Lord Jesus said about the scriptures:

John 5:39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.[SUP] 40[/SUP] And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

I don't remember anything more than this that the Lord had taught to the disciples concerning the scriptures neither did the Lord instruct them to teach the scriptures to the people as their manual in knowing God. The Lord Jesus clearly said that we must come to Him if we want eternal life and if we want to know Him and God, we have to learn same from Him and we can see this in Matt. 11:28-29.
okay.....this is just NUTS.

wait...it's the innernet.
whew.

Dec 9, 2013
God speaks to us today, especially through his scriptures and also, when we decide to listen, through our spirit.

Listening has always been the problem. Before scripture was written down, men put it to memory and there were men who chanted scripture. It was because man didn't listen that there was a flood. It was because man didn't listen that God created the Jewish race to concentrate one group to listen, and they often didn't do well at it. The success God did have with them is the only reason we have our world today. Until Paul brought the gospel to gentiles, the gentiles didn't help the world a bit. We are still having problems listening, and the world is rapidly winding down toward the day of judgment.

Today, there are thousands who believe that God speaks so directly to them through the spirit that they don't have to wonder enough if they are hearing correctly to check with scripture. They say that Paul tells them this is the correct way, so they lead people in strange ways.

I find that hard to believe, the gentiles made up at least 95% of world population from stone age until Paul. I think they

helped the world a bit with invention of wheel, bronze, iron, written language, building civilization, trade etc...

Back to point at hand:

I would agree that many people today claim to hear from God or have a "word from the Lord" and that we are to check

scripture to test if what they say if true.

However, those who wrote scripture also claimed to hear from God, how do we check to know what they said was true?

Something to think about

O

OneJack

Back to point at hand:
I would agree that many people today claim to hear from God or have a "word from the Lord" and that we are to check
scripture to test if what they say if true.
However, those who wrote scripture also claimed to hear from God, how do we check to know what they said was true?
Something to think about
Actually there is nothing that you/we can use to check to know what they wrote was true or not except you/we come to the Lord Jesus who is beside us all and ask Him (Jesus) to help us know the truth behind these things, no more, no less.

2Thewaters

We use the Bible as the test.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1 John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1 John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

SO from these test verses we learn

1. Worldly spirits talk of the world, Godly spirits talk about Jesus salvation and coming to JEsus
2. If they listen to your corrections of their errors from the Bible they have a true spirit, although they may just be ignorant
not knowing all the truth yet
3. If they ignore the Bible, they are of the wrong spirit.
4. Finally, if they tell you a dream of vision or statement that goes against the Bible, the WHOLE THING is from false spirit

We are from God or from the enemy you cannot be from both

Most false prophets dont realize what spirit they are of so dont beat them up
just tell them the enemy is talking through you, you need to come be born again brother, read your Bible!

you have been a false prophet many times, everyone falls some time or other

After you go to Jesus and repent and say sorry, he forgives so
get right back up pray and go on in the true spirit of the Word of God and go on as if nothing happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Thewaters

"ME" is God, Jesus christ the father.

If we have a question we pray to the father, please send us the holy spirit
so he told me to look it up
here it is

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

1380. dokeo, dok-eh'-o; a prol. form of a prim. verb doko, dok'-o (used only as an alt. in certain tenses: comp. the base of G1166) of the same mean.; to think; by impl. to seem (truthfully or uncertainly):--be accounted, (of own) please (-ure), be of reputation, seem (good), suppose, think, trow.

so a more clear way to say it than the pagan monks (who loved God but were all mixed up in their own religion since the Bible was hid from them, said would be

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye are accounted to have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
or
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye trow. to have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye seem have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

I would take accounted as clearest

but lets not stop there.

2 Pet 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

AH now it becomes clear
yo can twist the scriptures and not get eternal life out of them!

so take all the scriptures and compare them with other version and take all the meanings and put them together

and you will know more than your teachers because you teacher is the word of God

2Thewaters

Ah this is it
I like the aramaic English new testament

Search the scriptures, for in them you think, you have that life that is eternal,

Which now the holy spirit brings to mind this verse!

Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

ok now this is from the holy spirit

because a computer did not find it
this verse stuck in my head out of nowhere and it brings two bible verses together
and putting them together we see now what it means

in him (God) we think we move, we walk, we have our being.

so search the scriptures because in HIM (GOD ALMIGHTY) we think

thats it

and notice all those other words are right

you see in the concordance there are five degfinition!
and those definitions ALL of them areright
that is why to word is infinite
all five are right
so taking
we THINK we have eternal life is ALSO RIGHT for those that twist the scripture!

if you dont twist scripture than this is right
IN HIM WE THINK

get it?

Bible study is wonderful
thank you for that light!

2Thewaters

So here is another point
get a good bible like the word

(click on this line below)
Bible Software theWord!

its free
install it
look up a verse
use the king james with the word numbers
hover over the numbers
see all the definitions

now get ready for this

ALL the definitions are correct!

this is not true with mens books or mens writings

it is true with the living word of God

the verse can be applied many ways

that is why you loose som much sticking with the version the pagan monks chose because they chose one word out of five or six that most closely represent pagan mythology when the other ones are more clear somethimes

have FUN with your new LIVING BOOK!

alexis

Banned by Admin Team (verified fraud)
Dec 5, 2013
The apostles spoke truth because it's God's word... And in what they said it is without flaw thus proving it true...

I know I totally simplified that... But is that kinda what you said, 2thewaters?

Love you and explain if I missed the point,
lexi

2Thewaters

WOW, I guess I answered this thread pretty clearly
You can see God talks to me
because he told me to
1. look up the text
2. check the meanings
3. brought verse to my mind
4. the verse fit!
out of tens of thousands of Bible verses that could have come to mind ONE unrelated verse with none of the same words came to mind that ansered the question

so you can see in real time he does talk to me

you go pick a random verse and a million times it makes no sense
but when God brings them to mind they answer the question...

yes he talks to each of us WHEN YOU BIBLE STUDY
so, its up to you.

2Thewaters

He wants EVERY CHILD to have this continuous experience.

I am nothing
do not listen to me
listen to my Bible verses
and I will listen to yours and God will lead us all with his spirit.

ah here comes another

watch this.
this verse just popped up in my head

Psa 119:49 ZAIN. Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
Psa 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened (given me life) me.
Psa 119:51 The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.
Psa 119:52 I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.

Ok they can mock God but I have living experience since he answers any question to me

so I know but tthey still dont believe

notice the first verse
REMEMBER thy word to thy servant

it means

2142. zakar, zaw-kar'; a prim. root; prop. to mark (so as to be recognized), i.e. to remember; by impl. to mention; also (as denom. from H2145) to be male:-- X burn [incense], X earnestly, be male, (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record (-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.

this is a prayer!
psalm 119 are all prayers!
pray them and they WILL be answered

to remember the word to your servant means to have GOD bring the RIGHT VERSE TO MY MIND

but
you have to have something to remember

so it is important to thoughtfully read the Bible from cover to cover

after that, any verse will start popping up

because GOD IS THERE

O

OneJack

WOW, I guess I answered this thread pretty clearly
You can see God talks to me
because he told me to
1. look up the text
2. check the meanings
3. brought verse to my mind
4. the verse fit!
out of tens of thousands of Bible verses that could have come to mind ONE unrelated verse with none of the same words came to mind that ansered the question

so you can see in real time he does talk to me

you go pick a random verse and a million times it makes no sense
but when God brings them to mind they answer the question...

yes he talks to each of us WHEN YOU BIBLE STUDY
so, its up to you.
Is God the bible? What you have presented so far are bible verses of the different versions of the bible and your interpretation of same and, as one brother here is asking on how can we get to know if what was written in the scriptures is true or not, you do say that we can use the bible itself. How is that when you yourself were not there as one among the witnesses during those days that the Lord Jesus Christ dwelt in the fullness of His Godhood to the man who was born out the womb of Mary? If the bible can truly be used to check which one is true or not in the bible, then there will be only one flock today and not too many religious groups and denominations with different tailored doctrines about salvation and about God

But if we all who read the bible will come to the Lord Jesus who is just beside us all and ask Him to teach us in these things, we will be able to distance ourselves away from false doctrines and teachings of men who use the bible in luring people to join them into their own group or denomination.

O

OneJack

The apostles spoke truth because it's God's word... And in what they said it is without flaw thus proving it true...

I know I totally simplified that... But is that kinda what you said, 2thewaters?

Love you and explain if I missed the point,
lexi
There is no substitute to Jesus and God, He is alive and real and He is just beside you, always. The Lord Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, desire what is living and real and He can take care of your soul unto eternity.

alexis

Banned by Admin Team (verified fraud)
Dec 5, 2013
There is no substitute to Jesus and God, He is alive and real and He is just beside you, always. The Lord Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, desire what is living and real and He can take care of your soul unto eternity.
The Holy Spirit is within me and speaks to me. Jesus covers me with His love and God has saved me by his grace alone. I also believe The Bible is the word of God. Placing me in a rare place on this thread. I believe God speaks to me through The Holy Spirit and His word in The Bible... And can do anything that is His will.

What I said there was asking 2thewaters if I understood his point that's all

OneJack what you said there is so beautiful I know Christ is the Living Word of God!
thank you for sharing that so elegantly

God bless and much love,
lexi