Fear of Hell Or Love For God--Which Motivates You?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

overcomer2

Just like my relationship with my parents. My love for them kept me from doing wrong also my fear of what would happen.

BOTH.

Oct 22, 2013
I keep telling you I'm not jewish, I'm from wisconsin. Look up sheol and the context in which it was used and you will understand.

Nov 30, 2013
I am with Alexis on this one! Love love love! I am motivated by the Love for God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ our saviour!

J

jimmydiggs

Love! Totally absolutely led and motivated by love! Jesus' love and sacrifice for me and my

LOVE for all of you and everyone else.. The Beetles once said "love is all you need" for me it's true
I think the beetles had a different kind of "love" in mind, but none the less I love your spirit. :)

alexis

Banned by Admin Team (verified fraud)
Dec 5, 2013
I think the beetles had a different kind of "love" in mind, but none the less I love your spirit. :)
Jimmy excellent point! In my innocence I think of love as how Jesus spoke of it but John or Paul who wrote The Beetles tune was probably meaning the word in the less pure sinful way...

Im really glad you pointed that out, I wouldn't want people thinking I mean that.

J

jimmydiggs

Jimmy excellent point! In my innocence I think of love as how Jesus spoke of it but John or Paul who wrote The Beetles tune was probably meaning the word in the less pure sinful way...

Im really glad you pointed that out, I wouldn't want people thinking I mean that.
I know what you meant. :) I just like poking jabs once and awhile. Sometimes I'm really serious on the forums, and sometimes I'm not. Knowing the difference can be difficult. Ritter, a good colleague of mine here mistook sometihng I said once as humor when it was actually not. Probably better that way too. :)

None the less, I enjoy reading your posts.

elad

Banned
Dec 6, 2013
So, Jesus warned of Hell fervently and regularly, even though such a place doesn't exist? Makes sense. NOT!
Methinks you misunderstood what Selihah was saying, Tintin. He said: "Hell in the Greek /Christian sense of the word I don't believe exists." He's not talking about the modern misunderstanding of Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna as some mythological eternal torture chamber. He's talking about what those words actually meant. Sheol and Hades being basically "the grave" and Gehenna being the city dump.

elad

Banned
Dec 6, 2013
The problem is, most modern translations make all three of those Hebrew/Greek words into the English "Hell." No wonder you're so confused!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Methinks you misunderstood what Selihah was saying, Tintin. He said: "Hell in the Greek /Christian sense of the word I don't believe exists." He's not talking about the modern misunderstanding of Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna as some mythological eternal torture chamber. He's talking about what those words actually meant. Sheol and Hades being basically "the grave" and Gehenna being the city dump.
Jesus said, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

So you're saying that Jesus was referring to a city dump on earth?

How can the soul be destroyed in a city dump?

C

Conotocarious

Fear of damnation brought me to the arms of Christ. I've matured since then.

Jan 17, 2013
Repenting of sins out of fear of hell is called Contrition.
Repenting of sins out of love of God is called Perfect Contrition.

The following is an act of Perfect Contrition...

"Oh my God. I am heartily sorry for ever having offended you, and I detest all of my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to ammend my life."
Amen

God bless you.

_drink

Feb 11, 2012
Love! Totally absolutely led and motivated by love! Jesus' love and sacrifice for me and my

LOVE for all of you and everyone else.. The Beetles once said "love is all you need" for me it's true
we have three words for love so which love are you talking about?