How many false prophecies make a false prophet?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 17, 2010
How much leaven makes the whole lump leaven? God says.... LEt THE PROPHETS SPEAK, TWO OR THREE, and let the other JUDGE!!! And this was said to the Corinthians, in the same letter we read today in 1 Cor 14....

The question now is who can judge? The other prohets, or the whole congregation? As long as they judge with a RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT.... oh wait people do not believe in righteousness to God's standard.... then I suppose we should not even have a "COME TOGETHER!" ... Church!!!

How is it then BRETHREN, when you COME TOGETHER, EVERY one of you hath a Psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto EDIFYING. Read 1 Cor 14, THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS IN GOD'S CHURCH.... ALL true prophets have the spirits of the prophets as their SUBJECT!

The SPIRITS OF THE PROPHETS are SUBJECT TO THE PROHETS! That is how GOD operates, in Old Testament, and in New Testament and TODAY!

B

Bryancampbell

Aside from all this, I want to talk about wrong interpretation to true prophecy. This may be off subject. I don't think we should label a person a false prophet or false prophecy over one misinterpreted prophetic word, unless they teach something other than the Word of God. But if the man speaks of things not contradicting the word nor adding or taking away, we should at least give him a break. Have you guys ever read in acts about a man who prophesied to Paul in a mixed up prophetic context?

Acts 21:10-11 NASB

As we were staying there for some days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "This is what the Holy Spirit says: 'In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'"

Now Agabus had the right prophetic revelation, he might have just interpreted it wrong. Because what really happened was the Jews took hold of Paul and a report came before the commander of the Roman cohort, and it was the Gentile [soldiers] that bounded Paul, not the Jews as Agabus specifically stated. Many overlook this, and I highly doubt Paul complained about Agabus not being 100% correct through the revelation, as being a false prophet.

Sometimes when someone gets a prophetic revelation, their interpretation might be wrong. He could have received a marvellous, jaw dropping revelation that needed correct interpretation. Some come in visions, dreams, utterances, impression, visitations. I'm not a charismatic, but I know for sure that a wrong interpretation doesn't mean a false prophecy.

Now if they come up with something that separates them from the people of God, or being false revelation, and teach doctrine contradicting the word, we should be careful and not take heed.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
1, it takes 1 false prophecy and that person is a false prophet
Was Nathan a false prophet?

Now it came to pass, as David sat in his house, that David said to Nathan the prophet, Lo, I dwell in an house of cedars, but the ark of the covenant of the LORD remaineth under curtains. Then Nathan said unto David, Do all that is in thine heart; for God is with thee. And it came to pass the same night, that the word of God came to Nathan, saying, Go and tell David my servant, Thus saith the LORD, Thou shalt not build me an house to dwell in: 1 Chronicles 17:1-4​

B

Bryancampbell

" pray/repentance changed the path of that prophesy." If it is real God given prophecy then there is nothing that will change it. God doesn't change like that. All the prophecies in the Bible so far have happened and will happen.

Blessings
Jonah 3:3-10 NASB

So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the Lord . Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days' walk. Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown."

Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them. When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he arose from his throne, laid aside his robe from him, covered himself with sackcloth and sat on the ashes. He issued a proclamation and it said, "In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let man, beast, herd, or flock taste a thing. Do not let them eat or drink water. But both man and beast must be covered with sackcloth; and let men call on God earnestly that each may turn from his wicked way and from the violence which is in his hands. Who knows, God may turn and relent and withdraw His burning anger so that we will not perish."

When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.

Last edited: