"I suffer not a woman to teach or have authority over a man, SHE IS TO BE QUIET."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tucksma

Re: "I suffer not a woman to teach or have authority over a man, SHE IS TO BE QUIET."

Wasnt able to read everything in this thread.
So, hopefully wont be repeating another. :)
But this post and scripture tells me a woman sould not be argumenitive or speak over any man at church or when a man is teaching.
Not saying she cannot be a teacher.
Scripture also speaks to, if I recall, saying a woman should wait untill at home to speak to any concern or thoughts, with her husband.
Also scripture does speak to man looking to woman as the church, and listening to her wisdom.
But Im no athority on this, Just conversing in hope to learn. :)

God bless
pickles
It says a woman is not to teach a man. It doesn't say she is not to teach a man who is teaching.

Also with the concept that the church is the woman, a woman teaching is then the church leading the church. That's not how it is supposed to be, but christ, the bridegroom, THE MAN, teaching the church.

T

tucksma

Re: "I suffer not a woman to teach or have authority over a man, SHE IS TO BE QUIET."

Also realize it is saying the woman is to learn, the man is to teach (assuming what you are saying is true, it isn't but I'll just go with it).

Its understood that "a man" is to teach, and "a woman" is to learn. Men learn too, but women do not teach.

Look at the connection between a marriage and the church.

In a marriage, the man represents christ (the bridegroom) and the women represents the church (the bride).

After the marriage with christ happens the bridegroom will lead the wife.

In the church this is still true, the ones representing the bridegroom (the man) is to lead and teach the bride (the church). Having a woman teach the church is having the church lead the church, which is obviously not how it is supposed to be.

G

GreenNnice

You make no sense anymore, tuck, sorry, bro, but, you don;t get it. You and phil and BELIEVING and itsuptome, and, a few others, are on the same boat. And, it's sinking....

What else can I possibly say, other than the Truth of Paul's words, that you are MISunderstanding that women ARE, indeed, able to teach men; they simply are to LEARN in quietness and full submission when a man is teaching them something. and, of course!, don't be naive, it's when a man is TEACHING THEM or preaching to them, they are to BE QUIET and listen and LEARN ! :)

What is sooooo complicated that you don't get this :)

You even say what the 1 Tim. 2:11-12 verses are saying is an 'assumption,' that means you are assuming that what Paul said is true :( It is true, a woman is to LEARN, that's said in verse 11 before Paul says, in verse 12, that a woman is not to teach or have authority over him while he teaches. I'm NOT adding 'while he teaches,' it's UNDERSTOOD that a man IS teaching them because of them LEARNING in verse 11 :) She's not to talk over the man, instead, "SHE IS TO BE QUIET" :) Paul is NOT God but Paul's words are Truth, breathed on him to put on papyrus root (paper) from God.

Tuck: Also realize it is saying the woman is to learn, the man is to teach (assuming what you are saying is true, it isn't but I'll just go with it).

You're digging yourself a deeper and deeper pit, just get out of it, the Lord leads, stop this nonsense :) Listen to yourself, the bible verses are saying the Truth to you, tuck, and, you are not listening :(

In the context of teaching, I don't even know if it's in the church for 1 Tim 2 but it's saying that women are to learn , that's the word Paul uses. They are to learn IN submissive and IN full submission WHEREVER they are worshipping. That's HOW they are to learn as a man is teaching them. It's NOT saying a woman is never to teach or have authority over a man. It just isn't .
That's YOUR interpretation, you keep going back to "Men learn, too, but women do not teach (them)." YES, women do teach them! there are NO verses in the bible supporting your point that women are never to teach men or have authority over a man. She is simply to LISTEN and to LEARN when a man or THE MAN (not "the men," as you twist Scripture to also be) is teaching her :)

T

tucksma

You make no sense anymore, tuck, sorry, bro, but, you don;t get it. You and phil and BELIEVING and itsuptome, and, a few others, are on the same boat. And, it's sinking....

What else can I possibly say, other than the Truth of Paul's words, that you are MISunderstanding that women ARE, indeed, able to teach men; they simply are to LEARN in quietness and full submission when a man is teaching them something. and, of course!, don't be naive, it's when a man is TEACHING THEM or preaching to them, they are to BE QUIET and listen and LEARN ! :)

What is sooooo complicated that you don't get this :)

You even say what the 1 Tim. 2:11-12 verses are saying is an 'assumption,' that means you are assuming that what Paul said is true :( It is true, a woman is to LEARN, that's said in verse 11 before Paul says, in verse 12, that a woman is not to teach or have authority over him while he teaches. I'm NOT adding 'while he teaches,' it's UNDERSTOOD that a man IS teaching them because of them LEARNING in verse 11 :) She's not to talk over the man, instead, "SHE IS TO BE QUIET" :) Paul is NOT God but Paul's words are Truth, breathed on him to put on papyrus root (paper) from God.

Tuck: Also realize it is saying the woman is to learn, the man is to teach (assuming what you are saying is true, it isn't but I'll just go with it).

You're digging yourself a deeper and deeper pit, just get out of it, the Lord leads, stop this nonsense :) Listen to yourself, the bible verses are saying the Truth to you, tuck, and, you are not listening :(

In the context of teaching, I don't even know if it's in the church for 1 Tim 2 but it's saying that women are to learn , that's the word Paul uses. They are to learn IN submissive and IN full submission WHEREVER they are worshipping. That's HOW they are to learn as a man is teaching them. It's NOT saying a woman is never to teach or have authority over a man. It just isn't .
That's YOUR interpretation, you keep going back to "Men learn, too, but women do not teach (them)." YES, women do teach them! there are NO verses in the bible supporting your point that women are never to teach men or have authority over a man. She is simply to LISTEN and to LEARN when a man or THE MAN (not "the men," as you twist Scripture to also be) is teaching her :)
The reason I assumed is because I was showing you how women are still not aloud to teach using your interpretation. I was assuming you were right on your interpretation, so I could show you either way women are not aloud to teach. I don't actually think you are right because you are assuming 'a man' is the man teaching when it doesn't say that. What I was assuming was your interpretation.....

G

GreenNnice

The reason I assumed is because I was showing you how women are still not aloud to teach using your interpretation. I was assuming you were right on your interpretation, so I could show you either way women are not aloud to teach. I don't actually think you are right because you are assuming 'a man' is the man teaching when it doesn't say that. What I was assuming was your interpretation.....
They are allowed to teach, they are just not allowed to teach or have authority over the person they are learning from, hence, the words, 'she is to be quiet.' That is what Paul is getting across in 1 Timothy 2:11-12, tuck, the same thing, in a general sense, that he was saying to wives of husbands in 1 Cor. 14:34-35. :)

1 Corinthians 14:

The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.